Healthy Quinoa Recipes

fiferize
fiferize Posts: 141
Does anyone have any really tastey but healthy recipes for Quinoa?

Replies

• ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Go to Groups and check out "The Cook". People post Recipes of just about everything there! Good Luck :happy:
  • Ingredients
    1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
    1/4 cup pine nuts
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 cup raisins
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions

Place the quinoa in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until toasted, about 2 minutes. Add 1 3/4 cups water (or use low-sodium chicken broth) and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the liquid is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, about 2 minutes.

Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts in a skillet over medium-high heat, stirring, until golden, about 3 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add the olive oil and garlic to the skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring, until golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer the garlic to the plate, reserving the oil.

Fluff the quinoa with a fork. Add the pine nuts, garlic, reserved oil, parsley, raisins and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and toss.

Per serving (3/4 cup): Calories 300; Fat 15 g (Saturated 2 g); Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 5 mg; Carbohydrate 37 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 8 g
  • missblondieb
    missblondieb Posts: 5 Member
    http://lesliedurso.com/2012/11/quinoa-stuffed-sweet-potatoes/

I have also cubed and cooked butternut squash seasoned with some salt/pepper/chili powder. Saute kale. and then mix both with quinoa that was cooked with broth instead of water to give the quinoa more flavor
  • sfcreighton
    sfcreighton Posts: 5 Member
    I just bought two quinoa cook books, Quinoa Revolution and Quinoa 365, both by Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming. I have made breakfasts, snacks and dinners from both books and have loved everything I've made. My favorites have included orange ginger quinoa breakfast cereal, the ultimate granola, championship chili, roasted vegetable tilapia on quinoa and cabbage crockpot casserole. My only complaint is that Quinoa 365 does not list the nutritional breakdown per serving for the recipes, so I have to calculate it myself which can take quite a bit of time, depending on the recipe.
  • JESSJESJ
    JESSJESJ Posts: 121 Member
    http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/bobby-deen/butternut-squash-with-quinoa-spinach-and-walnuts.html

and this: (i used alot less dressing than the recipe called for and used one cup quinoa not two)

1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
    Olive oil
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning squash
    2 cups quinoa
    4 cups water
    Pinch of salt
    1 cup dried cranberries
    1 cup pepitas
    For the Citrus Honey Dressing:
    Juice of 3 large oranges
    Zest of 1 large orange
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 tablespoon honey
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place butternut squash on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Toss until squash is well coated. Season with salt and pepper. Roast the squash for 30 minutes, turning once, until tender.
    2. While the butternut squash is roasting, cook the quinoa. Add quinoa, water, and salt to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 5 minutes. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Let cool quinoa cool to room temperature.
    3. In a large bowl, combine quinoa, butternut squash, dried cranberries, and pepitas. In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, zest, olive oil, and honey. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Drizzle over quinoa salad. Toss until ingredients are well dressed. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
    Note-you can use agave instead of the honey to make a vegan salad.
  • sfcreighton
    sfcreighton Posts: 5 Member
    ORANGE GINGER QUINOA BREAKFAST CEREAL

1 cup water
    1/2 cup quinoa
    1/3 cup chopped pitted dates
    1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
    1 tsp grated fresh ginger
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
    1/2 tsp grated orange zest
    1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds

Bring the water and quinoa to boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Add the dates, apricots, ginger and cinnamon; stir well to combine. Add the orange juice and zest and mix well. Sprinkle with the almonds and serve.

Per Serving: Energy 170 calories; Protein 5 g; Carbohydrates 32 g; Dietary Fiber 4 g; Fat 4 g; Sugar 13 g;
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    I think there are not any wrong ways to have quinoa.

I make it as a side dish at night then toss my left overs from the night before add some feta cheese and lemon juice in with it the next day for a salad.

You can add fruit and top it with a raspberry vinaigrette.

Put all toppings you would in a salad on it and make that your salad.

Put some lime zest, lime juice and chopped cilantro over it as well.

The possibilities are endless.
  • stephv38
    stephv38 Posts: 203 Member
    bump
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    I have made a meat less chili using Quinoa. I just thru the quinoa in uncooked & let it simmer away with black beans, veggies & spices. I did not follow a spacific recipe, but it turned out delish.
  • Tabulah made with quinoa- delicous :-p
  • Fantastic!