need help! trying to give up refined sugars

Options
I wanted to know how those of you have given up sugar wait let me rephrase that refined sugar like in cookies and cakes etc. I work 3rd shift in a bakery so I see muffins, pies, cookies, donuts etc all night long and it gets so fustrating. I have tried to quit cold turkey but working in a bakery that is definitely not easy and I have tried in moderation but it leaves me wanting more :sad: I tried to replace sweet cravings with fruits or a yogurt but I still cave for chocolate. I don't have a problem quiting breads or pasta's so why do I have such a hard time with sweets... Just hopeing to find someone who can help me figure something out

Thanks for reading :)

Replies

• Badd3st
    Badd3st Posts: 28
    Options
    You sound like me. I'm working to try to get my sweet cravings under control. I was doing some research tonight and I read some information on webMD that suggests eating more fruits to fill the sugar cravings and than limit yourself to one sweet a day, so you don't feel like you're missing out. I'm putting it to action starting NOW. We shall see what happens!
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Working in a bakery is bad news.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Working in a bakery is bad news.

Yeah, find another job. But if you otherwise like your job and manage to give up sugar while working around it constantly you'll have the willpower to do just about anything else weight loss and fitness related!
  • gettinback2fabulous
    Options
    Thanks everybody..I'm not going to quit my job that is just silly, then sugar would win this battle lol I will figure it out. Appreciate the advice
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Take a couple of ounces of almonds with you to work and when you have the urge eat one of those.

I decided to give up all refined sugar when I started this journey 4 months ago... what I noticed was that after the first 2 weeks which was a real struggle for me, I actually did not crave the sugar anymore. I have even gotten to drinking my coffee and tea without sugar. I did the same thing with all simple carbs (the cakes/cookies/pies, etc.) and the same feeling happens after a couple of weeks. If you can get thru those first couple of weeks, you will have the same feeling and you will be one step closer to your goal - just put your mind to it and make that task the most important in your life right now to get over the hump. Good luck in your journey!
  • sdbart
    sdbart Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    cocoa powdered almonds!!!! They have a brand Blue Diamond Almonds that make cocoa covered almonds and they are GREAT! Every time you get a chocolate craving, pop one or two of those in your mouth and then wait 15 min. That should stop the craving.... i hope. Good Luck
  • MarieG2023
    MarieG2023 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Working in a bakery makes your goal challenging. Enjoy the sweets, in moderation by portion control. Maybe instead of a whole cookie, just eat half. I've been off refined sugars sine the first of the year, it was challenging the first few days, but now I'm over it.
    You can do this!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Phase one of South Beach gets rid of sweet cravings.
  • tiffany0913
    tiffany0913 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have found lots of things that I like MORE than bakery type items. Have you ever cut up plantains and fried them in a pan? Or slice up a sweet potato yam coat it in extra virgin olive oil and garlic powder, broil for 20 mins flipping in between. Sooooo good. Also, I can tell you that when you cut out the refined sugar, your taste buds come back (that it killed) and things that didn't taste so great before, do!
  • MadCountyMama
    MadCountyMama Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It took me at least 2 weeks to stop having sugar cravings! I went on a Paleo diet and was told 21 days was the magic number for getting rid of that. It is tough, ya just gotta be tougher!!
    I went the route of eating fruit when I wanted something sweet - green grapes were my favorite snack!
    I also have intense chocolate cravings :) So I learned to love dark chocolate! Now I don't even want milk chocolate, it is way too sweet. One dark chocolate square usually does the trick, but some days when I think I want more than that I snack on dark chocolate chips. 1 tbsp usually does the trick; it takes longer to eat b/c I savor 1 chip at a time, letting it melt in my mouth. Sometimes I am satisfied w/ just 1/2 tbsp.
    Good luck! And don't quit your job! You have to learn how to resist all that "terrible" stuff! :)

*I love new friends! Feel free to add me!*
  • Metallux
    Metallux Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I ate a ton of refined sugar this christmas and am still trying to wean myself off a month later.

If cutting back, or practicing moderation hasn't worked, as you say, you might need to lay down some serious abstinence for a while--like a few days or a week, then try to keep building it higher.

just make it a mini goal, "no refined sugars for x amount of time AT ALL".

otherwise, raw fruit juices are very sweet AND healthy alternative. I wouldn't recommend them as a regular thing to consume because it still messes with blood sugar levels, but if you're trying to wean yourself off the hard stuff :wink: at least raw juice has more nutrients.
  • lorealbies
    lorealbies Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Eat apples, oranges or bananas and three or four almonds at the same time. It works for me. A slice of avocado it's great too.
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Chocolate, peppermint "flavoured" Chapstick?
  • gettinback2fabulous
    Options
    Chocolate pepermint chapstick might work that stuf is horrible might make it so I can't stand chocolate lol

I've heard it takes about 2 wks to wean yourself off of something like sugar so I just have to be stronger is all maybe start smacking myself in the face when I get tempted :huh: or maybe take up smoking :laugh:
    Only kidding

Your all so awesome thank you so much I really appreciate it!!!!!!!!!
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    There's many reasons why I never wanted to work with food & this is one of them. Although I don't have a sweet tooth like you, I love to eat & rarely get full so I'd probably continuously pick & eat everything.

If you're allowed at work, maybe gum or a hard mint that could ward off your sweet cravings?

Outside of work, look for substitutes (but healthy natural ones, not fake ones.) Stevia for sugar is good, & for pastas (which I love too) try pastas made from organic brown rice instead of bleached flour stuff. I like the organic brown rice pastas because it has a similar texture & not as grainy as whole wheat pastas.
  • unchainedzulu
    unchainedzulu Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    go one day without anything, with no thought for the following days. just one day. you can manage one day.
    mark it on the calendar.

next day - just do that one day. don't worry about the rest... jsut do that one day. you can manage one day.
    mark it on the calendar.

next day - just do that one day. don't worry about the rest... jsut do that one day. you can manage one day.
    mark it on the calendar.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I switched over to sugar free gum and lollies initially and would have sugar free soda. Maybe you could chew gum discreetly while working? Gradually those items disappeared too..maybe make a rule that at home you have fruit but at work you have sugar free gum as treat? Plus for me eating anything after mint is awful!
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • gettinback2fabulous
    Options
    Thanks I will try it all out and see what works...you guys r great :smile:
  • unchainedzulu
    unchainedzulu Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    come back and let us know how you get on :)