Beta blockers

Options
Hi, I have a question of a medical/weight loss nature. My wife has been on a beta blocker for the past 5 years for PVC's, and has consequently added quite a bit of weight. Anyone have experience with this ? What did you do to help solve it ? She does walk on the treadmill and does some strength work 3-5 x per week.

Replies

• LouPsych
    LouPsych Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    There are other types of beta blockers which will not have this side effect. Has she spoken with her doctor about the weight concern?
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    What specifically is she on?
  • barncat29
    barncat29 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Atenolol 50mg per day
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Weight gain isn't a common (if at all?) side effect of Atenolol 'though, depression and fatigue can be, so indirectly that may contribute to weight gain (if those affect her).

I also take atenolol (also 50mg qd) and maintained my weight, and since coming to MFP have slowly, yet steadily losing at the average rate of just over 1 lb/week.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I was on Propanalol for 6 months right at the start of my weight loss journey. It never effected my weight at all and as far as I know its not a side effect
    Is she on a calorie deficit? Or has she been on one at any time of the last 5 years?