When to log late night calories.

Options
I guess is seems you would log 12 am to 12 am, however naturally I want to 'reset' my day and start fresh when I wake up in the morning. So staying up late Friday/Saturday nights (eating healthy snacks by the way), do you generally log a 1:00 am snack in the previous day or go ahead and start the new day?

Replies

• fiddlefiddle19
    Options
    Sometimes, I usually log on the prev day. :/ Especially there's still calories left on the day before.
    Lol, makes you think 2x if you log on the next day then u'll have less calories u can eat which is sad :( lol
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I think technically it is considered the "past" day since you didn't sleep. The point in logging and paying attention is that you know when you eat things, and since you didn't sleep first I'd just log it under the day you were already logging in. However, if you wake up in the middle of the night to snack or something, then yeah, I'd say you need to log that under the "fresh" day.

I actually stayed up quite late last night, over drank a little and ended up being ravenous and ate an unhealthy food in a large quantity. I wasn't sure where to log it until I thought about the actual process of it for the body.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    My "day" starts when I wake up. I have a "night snacks" section of my diary that I use to log everything I eat between dinner and when I wake up the next morning (including regular before bed eating as well as crap I eat when I wake up in the middle of the night and HAVE to eat).
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i used to log from waking to sleeping..so if i ate something at 3am but hadnt been to bed yet, id log it for the "previous" day..
    now i just log 12-12. it all averages out in the end anyway so it doesnt really matter, its just easier for me. i have my diary set with time frames instead of meal names though
  • AzaleaNicole38
    AzaleaNicole38 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It depends. If I have calories remaining prior to 12, I'll log them there. If logging them prior to 12 am makes me go over my totals, I'll log it the next day and eat less, or I'll try to burn it off with some sort of exercise. I have no clue if that's cheating or what lol
    My schedule is really wonky, so do what's best for you. I think the point is that you're logging the food, period.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    MMMM i would log on the 24 hour thing, before midnight then next day after but im an old lady so im asleep by midnight lol.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is it makes no difference, do whatever works for you. Your body isn't reading your MFP log and it doesn't "reset" itself at midnight, so it only matters to your mind. If you're over one day and under the next (or vice-versa) by the same number of calories, it all evens out - weight loss doesn't happen on a daily stop-and-go basis, it's a continuously ongoing process.
  • jeanmoreno
    jeanmoreno Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Log them anywhere you like,just make sure you log them,so you can keep track ! :-)
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    If it's after midnight, I usually log it in the next day; I will have already completed my diary for the day before anyways....but I think do what works well for you.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I log from awakening to bedtime. A day is between sleeps. That is because my weigh in is in the morning and that is the most accurate weight of the day. You can do it either way really... just be consistent with what you do.
  • julie781
    julie781 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If I have room in it from the day before, I log it there. If not... the next day :)
  • QuietRain
    QuietRain Posts: 157
    Options
    I usually do 12am-12am for logging instead of from when I wake to whenever it is I fall asleep because I sleep erratically.
    I make an exception on Fridays [or Saturdays] and log everything I had in my awake hours in one day, since my 'craziness' is only once a week, I want to confine it to that one day.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. Your body doesn't have a cut off time in which calories don't matter.