Shin Splints

Options
Taking a boot camp class at my local community college has caused me to have horrible shin splints!! My last workout class was Thursday and they were feeling better so today I went and ran on the track and they flared right back up again! Should I just push through the pain like I did today while running or is there something I need to be doing to clear this up? Any advice would be great!

Replies

• michaelmelo
    michaelmelo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    They eventually go away. When I had shin splints I used to push through them and then regret it :(

Pushing through them may just mean more days off in a row after the fact.
  • cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My trainer just told me this Thursday: sit down, stick out your leg, and, one foot at a time, write the whole alphabet with your foot in the air (a lot of ankle movement), then switch. Do this morning, night and after you work out - you can't stretch, too much, and it's kinda fun.

Oh, and I back off on the impact - walk instead of run for a few weeks. If you maintain the intensity, you can pick up where you left off with running after the shins are feeling better. Intense walking, especially with hills, is a great work out.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    The dreaded shin splints. There have been times when I could work through them while exercising… they would go away. Other times, not at all and continuing just made them worse. So… you sort of have to read your own body. One thing that helped me is being sure that I did a good warm up before then a lot of leg stretches after exercising.

Good luck!
  • schlanger89
    Options
    I would probably take it easy the next couple days. If that's not an option for you, definitely ice your shins for about 150-20 mins after running or when you are feeling pain. Also, running up a slight incline may decrease your symptoms of pain as your body tries to heal. (Also, be aware that running downhill is likely to make your pain worse.) Doing stretches before and after a workout can help too.
  • admirojo23
    admirojo23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There are exercises you can do to strengthen them and also ice them you can look up the exercises I have the same problem when I run. I do insanity and they don't bother me and the other thing I found that works is running barefoot.
  • ghostwor1d
    ghostwor1d Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I joined Curves several years ago, and the running in place gave me horrible shin splints. I had a hard time walking, it hurt so bad!. What I found is that you do NOT want to "work through the pain". Trust me on this - they will get worse, not better. Whatever you're doing that caused the shin splits, I recommend you stop immediately. Give yourself at least a couple of months to recover, and try exercising in a way that doesn't hurt your shins. Like swimming. You can try using heat or ice (whichever feels better, but I think they recommend heat) to help with the ache. I also recommend epsom salt soaks/baths. At least for me, they seemed to take the ache away a little better than crying.

Then about 6 months ago, I started running on the treadmill. I got very mild shin splints again, so I went to a running store and had them watch the way I walked and give me advice on shoes. I bought a new pair, and the difference has been amazing. The very mild shin splints went away. So...you might want to try changing shoes?
  • KChristie976
    KChristie976 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies... I got done about an hour ago and they are still throbbing! I think I am gonna put some ice on them now.
  • Swedgen
    Swedgen Posts: 29
    Options
    Shin splints are the reason I no longer go walking for exercise. They are brutal. I joined a gym and use the eliptical trainer and bike. I avoid the treadmill.
  • dianediaz
    dianediaz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    One thing you may want to consider is taking a look at your shoes. Improper or old athletic or running shoes can cause you to get shin splints. Shoes break down over time and use. So it's important to get the proper shoes and replace them regularly over time. I recommend going to your local running store (almost every town has one) and taking with you the shoes you're working out in. Talk to the folks there about what activities you do and what is happening with your shins and they should be able to recommend a shoe that is appropriate for the activities that you do. And, keep in mind that they will need to be replaced on a regular basis. The folks at the shoe shop can tell you how often they will need replacement. FYI - I do not recommend going to Sports Authority for your shoes. While the shoes are cheaper there the folks that work there, no offense to them, are not necessarily educated about the specific shoe needs for certain activities. A real running shop is your best bet.

And, in the meantime, you can strengthen your shin muscles with this little exercise. Lay on the bed with only your feet hanging off the end. Write the alphabet with each foot. So using your foot write each letter as if you are writing with your foot. This helps to work the shin muscles and over time will strengthen then.

Good luck!
  • cathdrew2
    Options
    How many miles on your running shoes? I use an app that lets me track that (miAdidas but likely others do, too) and I always need new shoes before it "looks" like I do. Some people say every 200 miles and others say every 300. Needing shoes and ignoring it usually gives me shin pain right under my knee. Overuse shin splints are usually the shin above the ankle for me.
  • cathdrew2
    Options
    @dlanediaz - we must be on the same wavelength :)
  • dianediaz
    dianediaz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ghostwor1d you are absolutely right. The shoes can make all the difference with shin splints. Good advice.
  • KChristie976
    Options
    It seems like it would be horrible to wait 6 months :( I have an elliptical at home and it never hurts my shins but this boot camp class has been hard on them I guess. We have been doing a lot more running around. Maybe I should look into getting some better shoes although I have some nice Nike shoes I have been using. I have been trying to get in shape I am planning to get married this summer.
  • suenewberry81
    suenewberry81 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I used to get shin splints, I got myself a better pair of trainers ones for running and. Don't get them anymore, so maybe look at the footwear your wearing
  • KChristie976
    Options
    I havent ran in forever. I use my shoes to walk in around town but other than that I use the elliptical and just the past 3 weeks started running. Maybe I need to get some new shoes. I am normally a flip flop wearer so wearing shoes doesnt happen a lot for me mostly when I am working out or its raining outside.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Quit heel striking. People who forefoot strike rarely ever get shin splints, it is far better for your body to forefoot strike (or midfoot, midfoot striking is a variation of forefoot striking, you have to be capable of sustaining forefoot striking in order to midfoot strike).

A lot of heel strikers hear about midfoot striking being better and try to do it, and think they are, when in reality they are not, they continue to heel strike. Just like a forefoot striker, a midfoot striker should be able to tape a penny to their heel and not scratch it much at all. The shoe heel of a midfoot striker will not show any noticable wear even after 100's of miles. In general a heel striker has to learn to forefoot strike first before midfoot striking.

Shin splints are caused by the rolling torque applied to your foot as you roll from heel to forefoot for toe off. Forefoot and midfoot strikers do not apply this twisting force to their feet. Grab the ball of your feet, palm by your big toe, fingers by your little toe, and twist your foot hard, twisting your big toe toward your knee and little toe away from your knee. That is the force that causes shin splints. You can only replicate that force if your heel is on the ground (unless you strongly collapse your knee inward, but it is near impossible to run that way).
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have a couple friends who have gotten a lot of relief following the instructions on this site:

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/0161-shin-splints-treatment.htm

Hope it helps.
  • KChristie976
    Options
    Thank you I am gonna check out that website and look into getting some new shoes!
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    If you have a Walking Company store neat you, get a set of their orthotic inserts too.