Running question

Options
I am getting back into running/jogging (as a form of fat loss) and am wondering if I should focus more on improving my speed or my duration? Is it better if I run for half an hour at a faster speed, run at a steady speed for an hour, or is it just personal preference? Thanks!

Replies

• Painterdee
    Painterdee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When you fist start out its probably best to start at a comfortable pace and increase the duration/ distance by 10-15% each week.
    I have read a lot about running tha suggests doing one speed workout a week and one long run a week....if your aiming to increase mileage. Take it slow so that you can prevent injury. I run 3 days a week and use this method. On speed workout days I do only short distance like 1-3 miles and focus on speed/pace. Right now I am trying to get in shape for my first half marathon in the spring. Each week (usually Saturday), I do a long run and increase by one mile from the week before. Hope this helps.
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    I agree with painterdee. You don't want to go overboard on mileage right away or your chance of getting an injury goes way up. You can google some great running plans that will give you an idea of what to do. Best thing you could do is sign up for a local race. That will give you something to look forward to.
  • strieb
    strieb Posts: 8
    Options
    If you are aiming to lose fat, my suggestion is not to run, but to do circuit training and/or strength work - I know it sounds backwards, but the more muscle you build, the more calories you will burn per hour. If you don't have access to gym equipment, at home workout DVDs like Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 or 30 Day Shred, or even more advanced high intensity DVDs like Turbo Fire or Body Combat (www.teambeachbody.com) are great places to start to lose weight AND inches, in a fun way!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The best thing is to work on your aerobic capacIty and the best way to do that is to work your way up to where you can run for two hours.

See Athletic Training by Arthur Lydiard, available free at http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/pdfs/al_training_eng.pdf

Your ability to run fast for anything over a very short distance is limited by the body's ability to transport and use oxygen in the working muscles. The aerobic capacity is the measure of how much oxygen the body transports and uses. Increasing aerobic capacity equals increased running speeds at any distance over around 200 meters.

For fat loss, increased running speed for longer times and distances will equal much greater calorie burns.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Your running for the wrong reason.
    Run for fitness, eat right for fat loss.

I think its best to build up your endurance first. Then work in intervals and speed.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    When I am training, I like to do three days a week.

Day 1: 3 miles of switching between sprinting as fast as I can for a quarter mile, then walking for a quarter mile, then sprinting for a quarter mile, etc.

Day 2: Short run at a quick pace. Pick a shorter amount of miles to do at a race pace.

Day 3: Long run. Pick a longer amount of miles to do at 30 seconds a mile slower than you would during a race.

I agree with the others though, look up a program! There are plenty out there that will focus on where you want to be. Also, don't over do it! It's better to go slow at first and work your way up than to injure yourself and not be able to run anymore.
  • rpzag
    rpzag Posts: 3
    Options
    Well, my two cents is that they say 1 mile of walking or running burns ~100 calories. So, the longer you stay out, even if it's a combination of running and walking the better.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Both. I think it also depends on your goals, if you are ever going to want to run a race - I say distance first then speed. However, I'm a firm believer in High Intensity Interval Training so if you want to do speed work of intervals, they are very effective for working on your speed as well as fat burning. If you are going to run long, don't do it too often, and I'm of the mindset that making the body work for it's fat loss - run longer than an hour and do it w/o fueling to make yourself more efficient.

I'd highly recommend the book Racing Weight if you are going to be running for weight loss.
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight and gained weight over the last 15 years usually every 4 years i gain about 30 pounds and start to diet again, every time i want to lose 30 pounds quickly (90 days or less) this is what worked for me: to burn fat, longer duration, the longer the better.. fat burns best the lower the heart rate is, the higher your rate the body turns to burning carbs and when the carbs are gone usually after 40-45 minutes of heavy running heart rate at high 150's consistently or higher it turns to lien muscle.. i keep a nice pace for 1- 1.5 hours, heart rate around 130-140 and it feels good when i am done and i have never been hurt.. usually burn 30 pounds in less than 90 days. the best i ever did was 30 pounds in 40 days... 50 push ups and 100 situps and 30 lunges with 2x30 pound dunmbells,kept a clean diet and lots of running 45 minutes in the am and 45 minutes at night. 6 days a week...when i was done i was 185lbs 7% body fat...
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    I think it's preference. Personally I like to run a ten km then a five km then run really slow with beginner runners etc. I do what I feel like doing and sometimes I'm fast and sometimes I'm slow. I love gadgets that tell me how fast and how far I'm going but I don't use them to try to improve. Although I do naturally improve all the time. I enjoy my runs this way. My husband on the other hand runs for speed. He's very competitive and likes to win (against others and himself)
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals and what you enjoy. I enjoy long, slow runs. I find that it takes me 2 - 3 miles to start to enjoy a run, then I am good for a while.

When I was doing speed work training for my marathon, I did not enjoy it at all.
  • zebradane
    Options
    When you fist start out its probably best to start at a comfortable pace and increase the duration/ distance by 10-15% each week.
    I have read a lot about running tha suggests doing one speed workout a week and one long run a week....if your aiming to increase mileage. Take it slow so that you can prevent injury. I run 3 days a week and use this method. On speed workout days I do only short distance like 1-3 miles and focus on speed/pace. Right now I am trying to get in shape for my first half marathon in the spring. Each week (usually Saturday), I do a long run and increase by one mile from the week before. Hope this helps.

Alright, thanks! This sounds like a good plan. I was thinking of working up to a 5k so I have more of a goal and am not just aimlessly running. :)
  • zebradane
    Options
    If you are aiming to lose fat, my suggestion is not to run, but to do circuit training and/or strength work - I know it sounds backwards, but the more muscle you build, the more calories you will burn per hour. If you don't have access to gym equipment, at home workout DVDs like Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 or 30 Day Shred, or even more advanced high intensity DVDs like Turbo Fire or Body Combat (www.teambeachbody.com) are great places to start to lose weight AND inches, in a fun way!

Oh, yes. Sorry, I didn't really add any of my other activities I am doing. I am doing weight lifting as well (with heavy weights!). I don't think I worded my post well XD. I've done Insanity before, so maybe I will get back into that. I just wanted some extra cardio on the side to help lose the fat as well as strengthen my heart (being healthier is definitely a goal as well!).
  • zebradane
    Options
    Your running for the wrong reason.
    Run for fitness, eat right for fat loss.

I think its best to build up your endurance first. Then work in intervals and speed.

Sorry, I didn't mention in my post that I am also eating healthy and doing weight lifting on top of cardio. XD And I am running to be healthier as well :p. But thank you for the advice!
  • zebradane
    Options
    Thank you to everyone else as well! I read every response and will keep everything in mind.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Unless you're planning on running and winning races, just go for endurance. For calorie burn, it doesn't matter much if you run 3 miles in 20 minutes or 40. And the more you improve your endurance, you'll naturally get faster anyway. Aiming for speed before you have a solid base is a good way to end up injured. (Says the girl who was out of commission last winter with a stress fracture.)