I've lost weight but now I want to flatten my tummy

Options
What did You find effective?

Replies

• lamarcheb
    Options
    No one's replied yet? Surprising, as this is a very popular topic.

I have the same goal. In find the he buldge on my stomach, while it getting smaller, most annoying. Its simply in the way when I bend down, or crouch, and the most when I cycle (I feel its pressing against my diaphragm, impeding my breathing).

What I've read is that there is no way to simply loose the tummy. Human beings will loose fat all over their bodies. There's the fat under the skin (subcutaneous) and the fat distributed over our organs (visceral fat). Its visceral fat that makes our stomach buldge, and even thin people have some.

Everything I've read mentions there aren't any special trick we can do that specifically targets the visceral fat, except perhaps vigourous exercise. Apparently, maintaining our weight through diet alone does not consume the visceral fat. Consequently, we have to be physically active.

So, here's to intense physical activity!!

Here's the link that I used to validate my statements:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-truth-about-belly-fat

I look forward hearing from yours or anyone else's comments.
  • EmpressOrange
    Options
    I noticed that when I lose weight through diet and exercise my stomach is always the last to go.
    Almost seems like everything else around that area loses weight first, making it look more pronounced.
    With me It's definitely not loose skin or lack of muscle, just stubborn fat.
  • deidra13
    deidra13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks, and thanks for the link, I am going to try to add some ab work outs to my routine just in case :)
  • lamarcheb
    Options
    Deidra13 -

Abs, indeed! Along with back, legs, chest, arms, shoulders. We need the muscle to make up for the lost volume! :-)
  • lamarcheb
    Options
    I noticed that when I lose weight through diet and exercise my stomach is always the last to go.
    Almost seems like everything else around that area loses weight first, making it look more pronounced.
    With me It's definitely not loose skin or lack of muscle, just stubborn fat.

Yep, mee too ...
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    To be honest, cutting sugars really did the trick for me. I get bloaty when I have too much sugar.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    compound lifting? body weight exercises?
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    First of all, not everyone can have a flat stomach. Genetics place a big factor in that.

Other than that, strength training and cardio. Goal is to reduce you body fat while building muscle.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    To be honest, cutting sugars really did the trick for me. I get bloaty when I have too much sugar.
    I couldn't agree more!!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    And yet next week we'll have another load of newbies coming in asking if it's ok to eat less than 1200 and being worried about lifting heavy weights in case they wake up looking like a championship bodybuilder. ;)
  • NicholeElizabeth92
    NicholeElizabeth92 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If you have a larger than normal curve in your back you could think you have more fat then what you really do because your spin is pushing things outwards. My doctor told me to do stretches that work the hip flexors. the reason exactly i don't remember. It's worked pretty well for me. the stretch is a half lunge then lean backwards, left, and right each for 30 seconds and with both legs. or you can search videos online.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    compound lifting? body weight exercises?

Yup....compound lifting does the trick. Don't waste your time doing ab isolation work...it is completely unnecessary and really doesn't do much of anything. You will notice that when you do big compound lifts (i.e. squats, deadlifts, power cleans) that you are indeed working your core very hard...I feel my abs burning more than I ever did doing endless crunches and situps. Beyond that, it's a matter of getting your BF% down so the abs can show.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    Crunches, sit-ups, abdominal leg raises, planks.
    Bear in mind that although the above will work the abs you won't see muscle definition until the covering of fat is gone.

If you are starting off with poor posture and/or weak abs/core you may well see visible improvement fairly quickly.
  • TonyClement
    Options
    I know from experience that if I adjust my diet, to eliminate all the foods with hidden sugars the fat stored under my skin is avoided. So, I stay away from bread, pasta, sweets, rice, fruit filled yogurt etc.

Then I got this program and it improved my stomach area immensely.
    Here is a link: http://bit.ly/XnibPi