weight loss help. im trying so hard here..

Options
i only seem to be losing weight really slowly. now i know this is fine if you are a little overweight but im really obese.
i have tried the 6 meals a day.. and now trying the intermittent fasting, i seem to just lose the same 1lb every 2 days.
im training hard at the gym 5 days a week. plus sit ups and press ups at home every night..
i have also tried 1700 calories and dropped it to 1500. weight loss stays the same.

can anyone check my meals and point out if im going wrong or eating to much etc.

weight now 239.54
bmi 40.
hight 67.2 inch
35 . male.

Replies

• lythy77
    lythy77 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    shameless bump.
  • LazyDaise
    LazyDaise Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Just looking at your meal now...
  • LazyDaise
    Options
    Ok....do you work weird hours?

You are eating meals and snacks often and quite close together. Try leaving at least 3 hours between each meal and only snack if you need to. You're taking in a lot of protein and not everyone realises but this but protein actually causes the body to release insulin which is the hormone which tells your body to hold/store fat. It doesn't cause the release of anywhere near as much insulin as sugar so don't get me wrong, protein is healthy you just don't need so much!

Take a look at the ingredients in your protein shake. How much sugar? Many ingredients that you don't know what they really are/cant pronounce??

My tips:
    Quit the protein shake.
    Eat more fat, seriously! As long as you aren't eating fat at the same time as a carb, you will not release insulin, you will not store fat and your body will burn fat as there is no carb present to burn.
    Eat three large, satisfying meals and only snack if you absolutely have to.

Give it 5-7 days and let me know if it works. (I know it will.)
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is painfully slow. Your ticker shows 17 lbs. lost and that you joined Jan. 2013. How long have you been doing this?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    First off, if you've just recently begun working out and trying to lose weight, you're very likely retaining water because of your workouts. Read this thread for a simple explanation of it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/595473-why-the-scale-goes-up-with-a-new-workout-program-must-read

Secondly, given the stats you posted, you're most likely eating far too little, not too much. A deficit that large (especially when combined with daily workouts, which further deepen the deficit) will likely result in the loss of a lot of lean body mass (read that as "muscle"), and some degree of metabolic slowdown. Read this thread, do the calculations Dan outlines, and start feeding your body what it needs:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Read this article to understand why you shouldn't be doing what you're doing:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • ermand
    ermand Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You are def not EATING ENOUGH. I was stuck at 235 lbs for 3 months and was really discouraged. I was eating 1400cals a day and weightlifting and saw no number changes. I upped calls to 2000k a day and have since lost another 13 lbs and the weight flew off.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Ok....do you work weird hours?

You are eating meals and snacks often and quite close together. Try leaving at least 3 hours between each meal and only snack if you need to. You're taking in a lot of protein and not everyone realises but this but protein actually causes the body to release insulin which is the hormone which tells your body to hold/store fat. It doesn't cause the release of anywhere near as much insulin as sugar so don't get me wrong, protein is healthy you just don't need so much!

Take a look at the ingredients in your protein shake. How much sugar? Many ingredients that you don't know what they really are/cant pronounce??

My tips:
    Quit the protein shake.
    Eat more fat, seriously! As long as you aren't eating fat at the same time as a carb, you will not release insulin, you will not store fat and your body will burn fat as there is no carb present to burn.
    Eat three large, satisfying meals and only snack if you absolutely have to.

Give it 5-7 days and let me know if it works. (I know it will.)

Where do you get your information from?

Protein is a VERY important part of any diet - whether maintaining weight, trying to increase muscle or trying to lose weight. The OP is consuming the amount of protein he needs in a day. Protein shakes are great if you need to add protein yto your diet. The default levels MFP gives are far too low for protein amounts.

I've never heard of not eating fat at the same time as a carb... do you have any studies on this? Also, sugar increases insulin. Protein is slowly digested by your body.

You will not store fat unless you consume more calories than your body needs.. I'm not sure wy the advice is to wait three hours between meals.

To the OP, give it time. Follow the calorie advice MFP gives you (set your weekly goal to say 1lb per week - slower weight loss is usually healthier weight loss). Take your time taking the weight off.

Make sure you are eating enough (1500, even 1700 calories is NOT enough for a grown man)... eating enough protein, fiber, fats and drinking enough water while limiting sodium. Get your exercise in and eat your exercise calories back (especially if you are doing hard core workouts). Don't forcus so much on the scale.. weight changes due to so many things.
  • lythy77
    Options
    i started dec 28th 2012..

no i dont work weird hours.. im on a diet where i go without food for 19 hours (most of this is sleeping) and then eat within a 5 hour window. this is the caveman diet/intermittent fasting..
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You have lost 17 lbs. in less than a month?

Step away from the scale!

Make sure you are eating at least as many calories as your daily goal and eating back at least some of your exercise calories. Preferably with mostly whole foods.

And step away from the scale. There is nothing wrong with your current rate of loss. The scale fluctuates based on many factors besides fat loss. Daily weigh ins are only useful if you want to create a spreadsheet and run lots of equations and create graphs. Even then, you will be looking at long term trends, not daily data points.
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

You should be eating between your BMR and TDEE. If you want to lose, just eat 10-20% less than your TDEE. So 1700 is too few of a calorie for you....it's less than your BMR.
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    First off, if you've just recently begun working out and trying to lose weight, you're very likely retaining water because of your workouts. Read this thread for a simple explanation of it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/595473-why-the-scale-goes-up-with-a-new-workout-program-must-read

Secondly, given the stats you posted, you're most likely eating far too little, not too much. A deficit that large (especially when combined with daily workouts, which further deepen the deficit) will likely result in the loss of a lot of lean body mass (read that as "muscle"), and some degree of metabolic slowdown. Read this thread, do the calculations Dan outlines, and start feeding your body what it needs:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

This 100%
  • SoonerVet
    Options
    yeah I would definitely increase your calories. I am a 24 y/o female who weighs 124 lbs, and I eat between 1400-1500 a day, so you should definitely be eating more than me! Even still, 1 lb every 2 days is great!! I know it would be nice to lose more, but it will take time. Which is why you want to make sure you are eating enough and not going too overboard because this is a lifestyle change as opposed to a quick fix diet. Make it liveable and your food still enjoyable so you won't mind doing it for so long. So keep it up!! You're doing great!
  • lythy77
    Options
    ok i will up my calories for a while and see how this sits.. thankyou for all replys
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options

This 100%

+1 to this... although as Lyle says in that blog posting, this doesn't apply to everyone.

But wait, did you say 1lb every 2 days?!?! And you're not happy with that? That's an amazing weight loss. If you're able to do that, not be unbearably hungry and keep it up consistently then you would be a huge success story. When I first read your post I thought you said 1lb a week, which for many is actually not bad if it's consistent. I do understand where you are coming from though. When you have a large amount of weight to lose and it feels like it's coming off so slowly it can feel like the task is insurmountable. How can I keep this up for years? My advice to you is to focus on smaller goals. 20 lbs lost, past a threshold like say 250 lb, or 222 lb (100 Kg). Perhaps it's fitting into a small size jeans or some other milestone. The honest truth is, much of the benefit of losing weight kicks in much earlier than when you reach your overall goal. People will comment, you'll look better in the mirror, climbing those stairs will easier and so on. So why only focus on the final goal? Focus on the tangible improvements as you progress.

Also, consider getting a BF monitor, they aren't super accurate but they can show a trend. Sometimes weight will not shift, but BF% will. I also believe this is a better measure of healthy than weight.

Keep doing what you're doing, if you find your weight loss stalls, consider the post on bodyrecomposition.com.

I believe you did the right thing switching from 6 meals a day, there is little evidence this has any beneficial impact.

Before you know it, you'll be at your goal.
  • lythy77
    Options
    thankyou very much.. i guess it is a good rate of loss.. i just was expecting a little too much... and no i have not been hungry 1 bit eating 15-1700 cals. any more i feel like im eating for the sake of eating just to up calories..
  • Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Carbs convert to sugar which causes an insulin release. Regular white bread actually has a higher glycemic index (70) score than table sugar(68). As someone who checks blood glucose, I pay attention to starches and carbs, not merely sugar.

When you eat carbs, your body wants to burn that for energy. When you eat fat as well, the insulin release in reaction to the carbs will store the fat...that is what it does. If you have fat with very little carbs, your body will be forced to use the fat for energy rather than store it. But, a diet only works if you can stay with it, so it might not be for everyone. But since reducing my carbs to <30g (rarely more than 50g) a day in mid October 2012, I have lost 64 pounds, lost my high blood pressure and my blood sugar is completely normal. (A1C 4.8)
    This was without exercise by the way. I have started riding my bike now because I have lost enough weight to do it again.

You don't have to be extreme, though. I was already losing weight with under 100g of carbs a day, but reduced it further to help my blood sugar faster. If you try reducing your carbs (and I know this is hard, but cutting bread/wheat or processed foods in general) and getting most of your carbs from veggies and some fruits or beans and eating the recommended calories for your weight and height (not far lower), you should be able to tell within a month if that helps at all.

I also do a protein shake every now and then. It is hard for me to eat the recommended amount of protein for me each day (100g or so I think). I use Pure Protein Frosty Chocolate, with unsweetened almond milk, adding walnuts, almond butter, fiber, almond meal, cocoa powder, a little splenda for the cocoa, and some frozen strawberries with ice. I will satisfy any sweet fix with this. But I don't do it everyday.
    The longer you work at this though, you will learn about different recipe plans and what works for you to keep it varied. I certainly cook A LOT more since starting this!

Your weight loss seems good though. I lost a lot the first month, but a lot of that was water. Since then, 2 pounds a week is about average for me.

(this was partially in reply to Now_or_Never1, but it doesn't seem nested)
  • LazyDaise
    Options
    P.M me your email address, I'll send the papers/studies to you (I'm a science writer).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    1 lb every 2 days is an excellent rate. Be proud of your progress. :flowerforyou:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    thankyou very much.. i guess it is a good rate of loss.. i just was expecting a little too much... and no i have not been hungry 1 bit eating 15-1700 cals. any more i feel like im eating for the sake of eating just to up calories..

Extra calories are easy - peanut butter!

Your body needs some fresh energy and lots of nutrients to stay healthy. If you were good at understanding your body's hunger signals, you probably wouldn't be overweight in the first place.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    1 lb every 2 days is very rapid weight loss. Unless when you say "the same 1 lb" you mean you are gaining/losing the same one pound and your weight is just fluctuating.

I think the best TDEE calculator can be found here: http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator
    This site gives you a good idea of how many calories your body needs based on a realistic view of your daily activity.
    (I do think the protein advice on iifym.com is a bit too high though.)

Congrats on your progress!!