out of shape

Options
There is probably plenty of posts on this subject, but I had a question. I just started this program a few weeks ago and I have had pretty good results I think. I haven't really added any exercise in. I try and walk everyday but like to do an exercise routine or video or something is just not my cup of tea. I am really out of shape when it comes to cardio workouts or whatever. Like I said I walk almost every day. Is walking enough? Do I have to try and fit in some other type of exercise? I mean I have seen some great weightloss results just by doing the food part of this program. I see so many people doing these extreme exercises. Am I missing out? Is it something I should try and make myself do?

Replies

• flwyland
    flwyland Posts: 142
    Options
    You should exercise at a level that challenges you some. So, if you can walk a mile without breathing hard or breaking a sweat, then push yourself to two miles, or do that mile faster. I walk outside for most of my exercise. Days like today (the wind's blowing at 30mph) I will do some strenght training and just put on some music and dance for a while.Whatever gets you off the couch and moving!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,682 Member
    Options
    You can definitely lose weight by changing your eating without working out, but for optimum health, I'd really encourage you to incorporate some physical activity into your daily routine. You can start out small, but if you could make it a habit, I think you'd feel so much better!
  • MyDream
    MyDream Posts: 72
    Options
    I agree that a healthy diet plus some form of exercise is the key to optimum health. Walking is excellent. Just set small goals for yourself and challenge yourself at your own pace/level. Just keep moving! It will work wonders for your health and attitude in the short and long run.

Good luck!
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    If the walking is doing it for you, then keep that up! Just be sure you push yourself a little so that your heart rate is up and your muscles are doing some work - like another poster said, either add distance or speed if it's getting too easy.

It's better to do what you like and can sustain over the long term. I am willing to bet that you will find, as I did, that as I lost weight and felt more fit, I started looking for other activities that I could enjoy.

This site is great for support and motivation, but so many folks are at so many different levels of both fitness, interest and commitment, it is easy to fall into the trap of judging what you 'should' be doing against what others are doing. Instead, read what folks are up to and if something sparks your interest, give it a try! But in the meantime, as long as you are getting results, you are doing great!
  • losingnow
    losingnow Posts: 82
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I was getting kind of bombarded by feeling like i needed to keep up with everyone else. I will make sure to challenge myself with my walking. I hope like one said that as I lose weight I will feel more fit and able to do more exercise! thank you all again!
  • losingnow
    Options
    Ok so I decided to start exercising a little more than just walking. I decided to start doing my WII EA Active. I have done it for 4 days in a row now, with 1 rest day (recommended). I sure can feel it but it seems to make me feel better. I will see on Tuesday if it has helped or hurt the weight loss. I heard that I could gain when i first start exercising. Don't know if this is true or not but ..... We'll see:)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options

This site is great for support and motivation, but so many folks are at so many different levels of both fitness, interest and commitment, it is easy to fall into the trap of judging what you 'should' be doing against what others are doing. Instead, read what folks are up to and if something sparks your interest, give it a try! But in the meantime, as long as you are getting results, you are doing great!
    What a positive way to look at it!:flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Ok so I decided to start exercising a little more than just walking. I decided to start doing my WII EA Active. I have done it for 4 days in a row now, with 1 rest day (recommended). I sure can feel it but it seems to make me feel better. I will see on Tuesday if it has helped or hurt the weight loss. I heard that I could gain when i first start exercising. Don't know if this is true or not but ..... We'll see:)
    Sounds like you got some good advice above and that you're at a point where you've found some ways to incorporate it.:happy: Good luck Tues:wink:

Becca:heart:
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    This is from the Mayo Clinic:
    "Consuming fewer calories through dietary changes seems to promote weight loss more effectively than does exercise and physical activity. But physical activity is also important in weight control... As a general goal, include at least 30 minutes of physical activity in your daily routine. "
    You can go to Mayclinic.com and do a search on dieting/losing weight, etc. These articles are written by doctors and other medical professionals. I stumbled across this quite by accident. The Mayo Clinic website has some great articles.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

When I started working out, I used the EA Sports Active as well. I couldn't even run the 2 laps without doubling over. But I continued to push myself on the Medium level and I finished the 30 Day Challenge being able to run 2 sets of 2+ laps without trouble. Its just a matter of easing into it and enjoying it at the same time. Definitely keep up with the Sports Active. I've lost all the weight on here using that 4 days a week (I've since upgraded to EA Sports Active More Workouts) and I do the elliptical for 50 minutes on increasing levels so that it continues to be a challenge. Before you know it, you'll be doing the cardio workout without dying and it'll feel great!
  • losingnow
    Options
    Oh wow! That is so cool OOtrayn. I understand where you are coming from. It had me running for 2 min and i was huffing and puffing! don't want to feel like this anymore! I have got to lose the weight! I hope I can keep it up like you did!!!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! That is so cool OOtrayn. I understand where you are coming from. It had me running for 2 min and i was huffing and puffing! don't want to feel like this anymore! I have got to lose the weight! I hope I can keep it up like you did!!!

I think you captured it right there when you said that you don't want to feel like this any more. I assume that you mean that you don't want to be huffing and puffing and feel so out of shape. You definitely can lose weight without doing any exercise and losing weight alone will help you feel better in terms of mobility and it will just take less effort to move your body around, but in order to really get stronger, you should push yourself physically. It doesn't need to be anything crazy--certainly not at first. But as others have said, keep pushing yourself to do more and to go faster and/or farther when you walk or do whatever activities you do end up doing. You will be amazed at how well our bodies can adapt so that something that once seemed impossible becomes easier and easier.

It is great to be able to bound up a flight of stairs without feeling winded! :happy:

Keep up the great work!
  • losingnow
    Options
    Ok so I weighed in this week and I gained. a lot! I am so discouraged. I start working out really hard, watch what I eat and gain weight! Ugg! This is soooo hard!!!!!!
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    By any chance do you have a Wii? I love mine & it was a great way to get me interested in exercise. I tried it at a friend's house a few times and really liked it & bought the Wii & Wii Fit Plus.
  • trumagick
    trumagick Posts: 4
    Options
    I understand the being discouraged feeling, I have felt it alot in the past when I have tired to lose weight, and I feel it today too, I went to the Dr and from his scale I have gained 5 lbs. .

As my best guy friend said, what do you expect to lose 100lbs in 4 weeks???? I immediatley replied yes damnit lol.

This is a hard battle we are fighting. There are going to be successes and failures, I, as have a lot of us, have concentrated on the failures, cried over them and quit because of them. When I saw the weight gain the feeling happened all over again. But , unlike all the other times, this time I am refusing to give up. So I gained weight,yes that sucksssssss, but then for the first time EVER (after I cried for 10 minutes) I thought what did I do right (instead of what did I do wrong) I was able to wake up get dressed throw my hair in a pony tail and go to the gym 3 times this week, and 3 times the week before and the week before that etc-I have never been that consisent before.

I know you can do this, look at what your doing right, your walking, moving, TRYING. Forget the weight gain, put it in the past (I know its hard), and remember what your thats good!!!
  • abredbenner
    abredbenner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Ok so I weighed in this week and I gained. a lot! I am so discouraged. I start working out really hard, watch what I eat and gain weight! Ugg! This is soooo hard!!!!!!

Don't get discouraged. Many things can influence the number on the scale. A great measurement is how your clothes fit. Keep it up!!!!!
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Walking is great. Try pushing yourself a bit longer, or adding some ankle/wrist weights to add to your workout. Get a heart rate watch, or moniter and see how many calories your burning. You'll be amazed at how much you can burn walking.
  • Junisahn
    Junisahn Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Most of my exercise comes from doing work around the house and yard. I love to garden and spend an hour or two a day doing that. Because I do a lot of heavy lifting and things that are more akin to farming than gardening, I'm also getting more toned. I have a 1.5 acre yard and mow about an acre of it with a power push mower every week. Honestly, that's my favorite kind of exercise. I'll go for the occasional jog or walk to mix things up, but purely just because I'm in the mood to do it - it's not a daily or regimented thing for me. In the winter, I love doing yoga, and take more walks then because there is less yard work to do!

I manage to burn between 200-500 calories a day just gardening and mowing, and I enjoy the time spent. I guess I also have to remember how lucky I am to work just part time and be a stay at home mom, so I actually have the time during my baby's naps to spend in the garden. I think if you are short on time, you're better off doing some higher impact things.
  • MyDream
    MyDream Posts: 72
    Options
    Don't concentrate on the weight gain. Focus on the positive, healthy changes you are making for yourself. You're aware, you're accountable, and DON"T GIVE UP. You can do this because you deserve to feel and be healthy and strong.

Good luck!
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    Options

Don't get discouraged. Many things can influence the number on the scale. A great measurement is how your clothes fit. Keep it up!!!!!

abredbenner is right - use more than one measure to track your progress - weight and fit of your clothes (or waist measurement) are two good ones. I find that in weeks when I don't lose much weight, I'm still shrinking!

I'm sure someone has already said this and I've missed it, but remember that muscle weighs more than fat - fortunately it burns more calories at rest than fat. So don't be discouraged! Keep plugging away, you are doing the right things!

Good luck!