do you feel bad when your over your sodium allowance ?

Options
2»

Replies

• gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/nutrition-101/more-potassium-please-00400000001125/

Potassium balances out the sodium in our bodies. I track potassium intake because I'm on medication that depletes mine. If I intake too much sodium and don't keep the potassium levels up, my BP rises and I get edema. I take a prescribed potassium supplement as well.

With that said, YOU CAN OVERLOAD the potassium and it's dangerous to do so. It can mess up heart rhythm, so don't go taking supplements without knowing what you are doing!

Also, it's not required on nutrition labels, so you have to do your homework to really track how much you intake. Some items in the database don't list it, but clearly have it. The recommended daily allowance for an adult is 4,700 mg!

It's no wonder we blow up if we don't eat potassium rich foods! (see link above for a list or google it)

http://potassiumrichfoods.com/potassium-rich-foods-list/
    an awesome link to potassium rich foods!
  • nogoldilocs
    nogoldilocs Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don't feel bad if I go over but I definitely track it and try to stay under. I do it not for water weight issues but because I have found that I get swollen if I eat too much salt and that my blood pressure is salt-sensitive. I have been able to keep my blood pressure lower without medications just by reducing my salt intake. Granted, losing 40 lbs probably helped too...
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    In general I go over salt 4/5 days a week, once I iog this months weight I'm 85+ down. It won't stop you losing, but watch it 2 days before weigh in. As it makes you hold water. 2 days before weigh in 1500 or less. Drink plenty of water and you'll be fine. I don't eat processed food but love things like pea and ham soup and chicken noodle soup and it quickly adds up. Try not to go over 3000 often as for general health that is the most recommended!

If you weigh tomorrow, and it's high don't stress its just water if you are good wih your other macros. .. Just get it in check tomorrow, chug lots of water and you'll be back on track!

Zara x
  • saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    It depends; I rarely do go over and today is one of the rare days (thanks, Subway, for being so tempting!). Generally my sodium intake seems fairly low anyway so I'm not going to stress it too much. If you were going way over regularly, fair enough, but the odd day isn't going to do a huge amount of damage. Just try increasing your fluid/water intake to flush it out and be careful tomorrow.
  • mfaine
    mfaine Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I can't help it. I like to cook and if there is one thing that really turns a blah dish into something amazing it is the proper amount of salt, however, that way of thinking goes entirely against any notion of reducing sodium intake. I just don't feel like I can be a proper cook if I put limits on salt but at the same time I want to reduce my sodium intake.
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I can't help it. I like to cook and if there is one thing that really turns a blah dish into something amazing it is the proper amount of salt, however, that way of thinking goes entirely against any notion of reducing sodium intake. I just don't feel like I can be a proper cook if I put limits on salt but at the same time I want to reduce my sodium intake.

From what I'm reading, if you increase your potassium intake with potassium rich foods - it will offset the sodium intake. Potassium will literally make you pee off the extra sodium you dumped in that pot, LOL

Many fruits and veggies considered "healthy" part of our diet happen to be high in potassium, so it's not that hard to up the intake.

You still need to cut back on salt, but it won't affect you as much if you balance it out. I find the more I cut back, the less palatable it becomes to me. Now I eat something salt-heavy and it's unpleasant.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't even track sodium, and it does not seem to generally affect me much.
    But I don't eat that much processed food. I am guessing the biggest culprit for me will be the smoked salmon I sometimes have for dinner.
  • mfaine
    mfaine Posts: 84 Member
    Options

From what I'm reading, if you increase your potassium intake with potassium rich foods - it will offset the sodium intake. Potassium will literally make you pee off the extra sodium you dumped in that pot, LOL

Many fruits and veggies considered "healthy" part of our diet happen to be high in potassium, so it's not that hard to up the intake.

You still need to cut back on salt, but it won't affect you as much if you balance it out. I find the more I cut back, the less palatable it becomes to me. Now I eat something salt-heavy and it's unpleasant.

Good info, thanks. It's true for me too, to a point anyway. I can't eat really salty chips or popcorn anymore. My son says I under salt everything even when I think I've made it too salty ( at least for my taste). Apparently, that just-right level must not be a static thing but entirely subjective, which means we can change it :)
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Not right now, if I did I'd be one depressed dude
  • passmetheducksauce
    passmetheducksauce Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    no.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    just drink tons of water to flush it!