C25K and Treadmill

Options
Any tips for doing C25K on a treadmill?

I've been trying the C25K app. I completed day two today! I'm doing most of my walking/running on a treadmill. I did attempt once on a paved path, but it really hurt my legs.

I'm am just under 300 pounds. I've been walking almost every day since January first (and a couple of times a week in the months before that.) I usually walk between 40 and 50 minutes (2 miles) at 2.5 to 3 MPH. This week I've added incline (mostly 2.5).

Replies

• Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K on the treadmill and still do all my running on the treadmill (although would like to try running outside once the weather improves).

I think using the treadmill may make it slightly easier with both pace and impact on the knees. I chose a starting pace that would leave me feeling that I had put in some effort but was not so difficult that I felt I could not complete the workout. I then kept that pace for the full programme.

I wouldn't use an incline for C25K.

Hope this helps and good luck :)
  • shaink0620
    shaink0620 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There is a plan made for just the treadmill. google search C25K treadmill plan and you should find it.
  • SeahorseDolphin
    Options
    I've been doing it on the treadmill just fine. It's 12 degrees outside and there is snow on the ground so I think it's better than nothing! And it also helps me stay at a pace I choose rather than getting slower as I get more tired.

I agree with lesley though I wouldn't go for incline when running just yet. You don't want to do so much that you end up giving up. Good on you for wanting to step up the workout though. You could definitely still incline when you walk! Good luck! :smile:
  • savagecorey2
    savagecorey2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Honestly it just takes time. I did that app too and it was awesome. It gets easier as your muscles adjust and you start loosing the weight. Just keep going!!! I did and i've made so much progress. GO YOU!! :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    A tiny incline is good for running, really helps to not end up with shin splints and mimics a little bit of the effort required for outside.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I've heard that an incline of one better helps simulate the work done outside. I would just follow the program like it is using either seconds or distance. No reason it shouldn't work the same inside or out. :-)
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have just finished the C25K wk3 day3 on a treadmill. I have been repeating weeks to build up my speed on there. This week was a challenge but oh so rewarding. Good luck and have fun with it.

Also feel free to add me as a friend on here...my diary is open and I am on here daily.
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    A tiny incline is good for running, really helps to not end up with shin splints and mimics a little bit of the effort required for outside.

^this. even if it's just a 0.5 incline.
  • megd726
    megd726 Posts: 31
    Options
    Good for you for running! I absolutely love it and I also started out with a C25K program. I think it's great to run regardless of whether it's on a treadmill or outside. If you are training for a race, I would recommend a minimum of one run a week outside though. I think it makes a difference come race day.

Sounds like you are using inclines which is awesome! I have heard (same as jdiddy) that an incline of 1% is best for mimicking outside running conditions. Unfortunately nothing can truly mimic it but that is definitely better. Recent articles I have read on the topic do suggest an incline of 3% as the minimum you should do though.

Regardless, do what feels good for you and keep up the good work!
  • lalaninjacakes
    Options
    Wow! Well done!
    I use a mini trampoline. I have a ripped tendon in my arm and can't take the pain from the impact. It's amazing how much your body feels everything!
    Good luck
  • lisahaug9
    Options
    I just started this too and I am repeating week 1 to build up my endurance. I just wish she would stop asking me if I am ready when it comes time to run because obviously my answer is NO.....but I push myself through it. :laugh:

Right now I don't have it on an incline; if I did would that help or increase the pain I have in my shins while doing it.

Best of luck to you!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Right now I don't have it on an incline; if I did would that help or increase the pain I have in my shins while doing it.

You shouldn't have pain at all while running. I would look into getting fitted for proper shoes and see if that helps.

To OP:
    I did C25K also, but I did it outside.
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I have been recommended to have an incline of at least 1.0% for doing anything on a treadmill as a flat base will cause problems with the shins.

I am also doing a learn to run on a treadmill, I had been walking on the treadmill for 8 months and started with a incline of 6.0% but started getting cramp in my calves so dropped the incline to 3.0% and it's much easier.

Good luck to all those learning to run, I am looking forward to trying the open air.

Andy
  • LouPsych
    LouPsych Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Starting C25K on the treadmill tomorrow; ran my last road race (first and last 10K) 18 years ago. Thanks for pointers on using incline to avoid shin splints. I'm really looking forward to this next step. I've been walking/piddle jogging for a couple of weeks and need something more challenging at this point. Need to get a move on!
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I've made it through W2D1. I did drop the incline to 0, but when I do it tomorrow I 'll try a slight incline.

I have good shoes, but they aren't great shoes. We don't have any real "pro" shops here in town. We have a Big 5 and a Foot Locker, but I don't they are highly trained. Some time in the next month or so, I'll be going to Albuquerque where they have a running store. (They fitted me for orthotic insoles for my plantar fascitis.