a calorie=a calorie, right?

Options
Calories burned below your target fat burning heart rate = those burned within the fat burning range, I assume? I burn most of mine in my fat burning target when I do treadmill, but below when I do a dvd. I hardly ever get to the lower end of the target heart rate with my dvd (tae bo)

Replies

• Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I believe a calorie is a calorie but there are many on here that will disagree..

I don't believe a calorie burned below or at your optimal level is going to be counted as anything different than a calorie.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    from this article. http://www.alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-the-fat-burning-zone-fasted-cardio.html

In 24-hr trials, there is no difference in fat oxidation between the 2 types, pointing to a delayed rise in fat oxidation in the high-intensity groups which evens out the field.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I am interested to see what people think.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Calorie is a calorie but many people aren't well informed on how the body handles different macros, nutrient deficiences/surpluses and all the hormones and physical processes that are involved. It's a complex, holistic system. Caloies in = calories out is a complete over-simplification. There's lots of valuable information that can be easily accessed if one wants to explore beyond the opinions of MFP members, the govt' Food Guide, and media/corporate endorsements.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    from this article. http://www.alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-the-fat-burning-zone-fasted-cardio.html

In 24-hr trials, there is no difference in fat oxidation between the 2 types, pointing to a delayed rise in fat oxidation in the high-intensity groups which evens out the field.

^This. The "fat burning zone" was something cardio exercise companies came up with to make their machines more attractive to people trying to lose weight. It was a marketing ploy... that worked since the myth still persists today after being debunked years ago.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Ignore the fat burning zone. It exists in the same reality as unicorns, the tooth fairy, and bank regulations
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Calories. You count them, eat them, burn them, etc. There is a lot more going on than just calories in and calories out. Take for example when you workout. You continue burning calories for hours afterwards at an accelerated rate over your resting rate. I don't buy into the "fat burning rate" fad. It does nothing to get my heart rate up and I find it worthless in my routine. You need at least 30 minutes of cardio to really amount to anything in my opinion and barely raising my heartrate just doesn't cut it.

What you do need to do is eat a well balanced and healthy diet. 2500 calories of McDonalds and candy is treated a lot different than 2500 calories of well cooked food at home such as chicken, salmon, and vegetables. Look at the types of fats you're ingesting. Ever squeeze a kernel of corn and look at all the oil coming out of it? No, because it must be extracted. It's not a good for you oil to fry food in. Especially partially hyrogenated oils. Your body doesn't have any tolerance/requirement for them and it causes your fat cells to change in structure and become harder to burn. High fructose corn syrup? Another nasty. Sugar and high fructose corn syrup. Same calories really in a soda. But sugar is digested differently than high fructose corn syrup and has different effects on your body. Do you even know how it's made? Yuck. Diet sodas aren't really any better. They're very acidic and still cause your body's insulin to spike. When your body doesn't get that sugar it's expecting then you may have a tendency to crave something sweet like a candy bar.

Hope this helps explain things a bit.
  • kbodnaruk
    Options
    Agreed!
    Calories. You count them, eat them, burn them, etc. There is a lot more going on than just calories in and calories out. Take for example when you workout. You continue burning calories for hours afterwards at an accelerated rate over your resting rate. I don't buy into the "fat burning rate" fad. It does nothing to get my heart rate up and I find it worthless in my routine. You need at least 30 minutes of cardio to really amount to anything in my opinion and barely raising my heartrate just doesn't cut it.

What you do need to do is eat a well balanced and healthy diet. 2500 calories of McDonalds and candy is treated a lot different than 2500 calories of well cooked food at home such as chicken, salmon, and vegetables. Look at the types of fats you're ingesting. Ever squeeze a kernel of corn and look at all the oil coming out of it? No, because it must be extracted. It's not a good for you oil to fry food in. Especially partially hyrogenated oils. Your body doesn't have any tolerance/requirement for them and it causes your fat cells to change in structure and become harder to burn. High fructose corn syrup? Another nasty. Sugar and high fructose corn syrup. Same calories really in a soda. But sugar is digested differently than high fructose corn syrup and has different effects on your body. Do you even know how it's made? Yuck. Diet sodas aren't really any better. They're very acidic and still cause your body's insulin to spike. When your body doesn't get that sugar it's expecting then you may have a tendency to crave something sweet like a candy bar.

Hope this helps explain things a bit.
  • gottalose55
    gottalose55 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ignore the fat burning zone. It exists in the same reality as unicorns, the tooth fairy, and bank regulations

Thanks! Good laugh to boot!
  • gottalose55
    gottalose55 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I won't worry about the fat burning zone thing. Just burning the calories. Good luck to all of you on reaching your goals as well!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

^^^
    This!
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options

WHAT!?!?!?! Are you telling me unicorns aren't real? :noway:
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It is the same old same old calorie is a calorie argument...it gets right up there with fat weighs the same as muscle???

1lb is the same as 1lb but a calorie is has a different `make up`

You are going to get a lot of different responses