home yoga video help

Options
I have always wanted to incorporate some yoga, but i dont have the balls to drag my 320lb *kitten* to a yoga studio to sweat all over thoes poor innocent yoga women..........does anyone know of a good beginer yoga video or series that would be hefty man appropriate, something that i could do with my son would be cool too....he copies everything I do so i figure we can have fun with that. your help is much appreciated MFP.....cheers!

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Check your library for one.
    My favorite one for beginners is called "yoga for weight loss" with Suzanne Deason. It gives multiple options.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I second the library. I'm looking for a good yoga for runners dvd to do at night after the kids are in bed, so I checked out a dozen of them (requesting some of them from interlibrary loan), to try them out and see what I like before I spend the money to buy it.

FWIW - don't be afraid to go to a class. I'm always happy to see overweight people there, it means they're changing their lives!!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out your library!

Some poses are hard - I have too much fat on my thighs to sit with my buttocks on my heels without un hinging my knees, (put a towel or pillow in the gap) I can only pull my thighs into my gut, my knees don't get anywhere near my chest (fake it til you make it). So, you might want to consider something designed for lumpy bodies, like http://www.bigyogaonline.com/products/dvds-a-books. I haven't tried this, as I am hoping to just get down in size, then add yoga back into my life, but it is one of the few things I would consider paying for right now.

I would be wary of weight loss yoga for getting started. It is usually just yoga on speed and can be really overwhelming if you aren't used to the postures, completely unreasonable if you need a few extra seconds to change between postures because of size and or flexibility.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    doyogawithme.com !!!

I didnt rad your whole post as to what yoga you want to do but this a LOTS of variety and time lengths for ya..hope it helps :)
  • jennyjee18
    Options
    Have you seen this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448 He went from not being able to walk to being fit and running through the power of yoga. I believe he used former wrestler, Diamond Dallas Page (DDP)'s videos. I haven't seen them but maybe you and your son would like his style?

Whatever video you choose, make sure you go at your own pace. Don't get disouraged if you think you're not doing it perfectly. Grab a pillow and a towel (or band) and if you can, buy a yoga block to help with some of the poses. And don't be surprised if you sweat your butt off depending on the style (hot yoga isn't the only class to make you sweat!) The breathing is the most important thing. And always "be with your mat" meaning enjoy the moment. Yoga isn't all about the poses and the fitness but about the awareness.

Good luck, you will love yoga!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Plenty of suggestions in the posts above. All I wanted to say was I know a guy who must be all of your weight who comes regularly to our Saturday morning class. He quietly gets on with what he can manage, takes breaks when it gets too tough but the thing is he has been coming along for over a year now and he is easily half the weight he first came with.

Don't be afraid to visit your local yoga classes - those guys don't bite, don't mock and they aint all women - you'll find some guys there as well!
  • Jennymcwb
    Jennymcwb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yoga instructors are very friendly and helpful, it's a good idea to try a class b/c you will get help with the poses.
  • lmsp86
    lmsp86 Posts: 9
    Options
    I am interested in trying out yoga too but am hesitant to joining a class because I am so out of shape. After reading several threads in regards to being overweight and practicing yoga I feel like joining a class is the best option. I look forward to hearing about your "at home" experience, when/if you start :)
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Plenty of suggestions in the posts above. All I wanted to say was I know a guy who must be all of your weight who comes regularly to our Saturday morning class. He quietly gets on with what he can manage, takes breaks when it gets too tough but the thing is he has been coming along for over a year now and he is easily half the weight he first came with.

Don't be afraid to visit your local yoga classes - those guys don't bite, don't mock and they aint all women - you'll find some guys there as well!

Love this response. My local studio also runs a series from time to time called "Stiff Guys Yoga" specifically for men new to the practice. ANY yoga teacher would LOVE to have you in class; try not to be intimidated and just go! You can get specialty yoga towels to go over your mat if you're concered about sweating so you won't slip.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I like the Yogazone DVDs since they're reasonably priced and contain two 20-minute sessions each with decent instructors. The key here is to look for REPUTABLE instructors that know their stuff. I got a book called "Moving Toward Balance" by Rodney Yee where he really goes into depth about everything that goes into Yoga, and as an analytical person, it really taught me a lot. I don't know if you're the analytical type or if you like to join right into something, but I guarantee there is enough variety out there for you to find your "fit." There are also enough web sites centered around Yoga for you to get very well educated and get started on some basic poses without having to spend any extra cents at all, really.

If you have an android phone or tablet, you can try the Simply Yoga app. They have pre-canned sessions of varying lengths (20, 40, 60 minutes) along with explanations for each pose. You can put your own sequences together once you get the basics down. I play it on my tablet with some Zen music in the background, and voila 20 minutes, done in no time. The app is like 2.99 for android users and free for iPhone (far as I know).

Yoga is all about balance and learning to pay attention to your body and respect its boundaries. It's about learning to breathe properly and how to move your body along with your breath. Yoga is about focus and mindfulness. Because of that, it's a great complement to any sport or workout routine. But it's important to start off the right way with a knowledgable instructor (either virtual if you're a decent self-learner) or in person (if you need a bit more hand holding). Learning how to breathe and move with your breath is just as important as the individual poses, and learning to flow between them.

I'm not a lithe waif myself and so don't let your size stop you. Kudos to you for trying. Just get a decent mat (for traction), put on some comfortable clothes and get started. Use a chair for balance if you have to and/or a wall and/or other props (pillows, yoga bricks, rolled up towels, bands to help with certain stretches, etc). Better safe than sorry. You CAN get hurt if you don't respect your body's limitations or push too far, too soon. Or lose your balance and take a hard tumble.

If extra fatty tissue or super tight muscle gets in the way of certain poses, who cares? Do the poses you CAN comfortably do at your current weight and fitness level. That's the beauty of Yoga: it's highly adaptable and there's NO competition. So what if you can only do mountain and staff pose for the first month? And? It's a start. Start somewhere, and go from there. :smile:

I've practiced Yoga for about 8 years now on a semi-regular basis (mostly on my own with some classes sprinkled in here and there), and there's no exercise routine I love more. I'm hooked for life. I hope you will be too.