Advice for Jillian's 30 Day Shred please!

Options
Hey everyone. So I'm on day 3 and supposed to be on my third workout but I've had to miss it today. I know I'm unfit and I know it's not going to be easy but the pain in both of my calves is unbearable! I can't bend my legs to walk properly, it's painful to walk and my calves are even painful to the touch. Is this normal? Do I just need to tough it out?

Replies

• MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    make sure you do a cool down/stretching especially if you are having trouble moving lol... and soak in the bath after i know ewww gross but it works for any work out...

I'm on day 4 of doing it again and my arms were sore yesterday... I increased my protein and water and feel better
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do it every day. If you need a rest day, take one. It'll get easier.
  • nicolle159
    nicolle159 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply! I've been laying either in bed or on the sofa like a starfish stretching them out lol. So you do it everyday then yeah? That's what I planned to do but I've read a few posts saying that you're not supposed to work out every week. I need to see results otherwise I'll sulk and resort to eating lots of chocolate again! I think I'll increase the water and protein too.
  • nicolle159
    Options
    I hope so Melanie!
  • ChunkyMonkey207
    ChunkyMonkey207 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was the same way!! The first two days I could barely walk!!! Yes,they hurt to touch too..muscle rub helped a lot. I pushed through and still did it everyday...glad I did..Now I'm on level 3 day 7. You know what's best for your body,everyones different.Good luck!!
  • calroseangelo
    Options
    When I did it the first time (about 40 lbs ago) I was SO sore after the first few days. My calves hurt, I could hardly pick up my kids, and it hurt so bad to sit down or get up. I kept going though and it did get better. Eventually the pain went away. I'd say by the first end of the first week. My advice would be to stick with it even if it hurts. You're using muscles you haven't used like that in a while...it's going to hurt for a bit. The pay off will be worth it though! If it is just too much though, then take a day and recover and get back at it the day after. If you want results you will have to deal with the pain. You can do it! I'm now on my second go round of 30ds and I'm not nearly as sore as I was the first time I did it. Stick with it...down give up or back down. You will only regret it if you do!! What is that saying..."Pain is fear leaving the body" :happy: Good luck!!
  • devan33
    devan33 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It gets better!!!!! I have done them everyday for 6 days... day 2-4 was horrible...during the workout I didn't notice it as much..the jump rope part was the very worst for my calves in those days..yesterday I woke up MUCH better. Today I still feel a little tightening in the calve, thigh muscles..but it's a better stronger feeling and not pain. This is my first ever "workout" routine to speak of. Just hang in there!! DO as much you can..even if you take breaks..
  • willow_rb
    willow_rb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You need to warm up adequately before you start the shred. Have a brisk walking session of 15 mins so that you are warmed up enough. And after the workout, you need to stretch your calves-same thing happened to me when I was doing the shred. I pounded thru the pain with tight calves and ended up with plantar fascitis!
    So warm up adequately, stretch your calves absolutely after! This is a good calf stretch : http://www.fitsugar.com/Best-Calf-Stretches-3102547?slide=1
    Do some yoga or pilates additionally so that you are stretching well. Here's a link to some pilates: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YW2eRv4kCag
    Good luck and take care.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    tough it out because it will get easier! Stretch before activity I forgot stretching and paid for it! lol....
  • IrishChick71
    IrishChick71 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are in so much pain. It's normal. Try taking some Ibuprofen. I've been this sore before. Curiously the first time I did 30DS. Not fun but by day 5 and 6 it was completely gone.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    it was the same for me. I'm in a 30 day shred group that is helpful. here is the link http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/134-30-day-shred-
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I did it 30 days in a row and wrote a blog it was the first thing I did (tracked on MFP) lost 15lbs

After I was done with that I waited like 3 weeks then p90x it was great!
  • solenice
    Options
    Sounds to me like you have shin splints. If you alternate ice and heat on your caves that will help with the pain. Good Luck! :)
  • LizardQueen4PointOh
    LizardQueen4PointOh Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I add extra stretches for my calves after the standing quadricep stretches at the end. It helps!
  • nicolle159
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has replied! I didn't expect all the other replies and forgot to check back - sorry!!! After two days of not being able to walk... I can walk!! Haha! Still in pain but think I'm going to get back on it and do extra stretches afterwards. Thank yoooou :D
  • nicolle159
    Options
    Sounds to me like you have shin splints. If you alternate ice and heat on your caves that will help with the pain. Good Luck! :)

I've just looked online (didn't know what shin splints were!) and I think you could be right, is there anything I can do to prevent it from happening again?
  • Buhbee
    Buhbee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way you do! One thing that has helped me is to do yoga in the morning. It stretches me out so by the afternoon I am more up to doing 30DS.