STRIIV vs. FITBIT?

Options
Or any of the other ones similar to it.
I've been doing workouts (from the Workout Trainer app), along with taking walks, cleaning, etc.
I would like something that can judge (as accurate as possible) how many calories I burn throughout the day.
Money isn't really an issue, under $200 though.

I can't decide what one to get.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Replies

• ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Don't know what the Striiv is but I love my Fitbit Zip! It kind of depends on your needs. The Fitbit products are great for wearing around and motivating you to move more during the day. They also accurately count steps (at least for me) on the treadmill and the elliptical. Conclusion ---> Fitbits rock! :smile:
  • Corkline
    Corkline Posts: 107
    Options
    I'm waiting for my striiv in the mail...I'd try downloading the app to your phone and playing with it. If I don't like the interface, it's not gonna happen.
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit ultra and love it
  • Libi_KK
    Libi_KK Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I *love* my Fitbit! I was EXTREMELY lucky, got mine from eBay for less than $50 because someone didn't like it.

It tracks calories, steps, flights of stairs, and syncs automatically with MFP on my iPhone. I track my activity like normal but if I miss something or have the wrong calories burnt, the fb will do an adjustment for to match what you have entered vs what it reads.

I especially love the sleep tracker. I always knew that I slept badly but this tells me just how restless I am at night.

You get a weekly detailed report of what you ate/burnt. It is terribly exciting and I love it.
  • cleomouri
    cleomouri Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've got the FitBit One and absolutely adore it. I wear it every where. Just clip it to my bra band and good to go. If I remember to clip it high enough I use it as a watch too since my toddler destroyed mine.

I love that it tracks flights of stairs. The streets round my house are extremely busy so I don't feel safe walking them, especially with a toddler, so I make my goal X number of flights of stairs a day instead.

I really love the sleep tracking portion of it. I use to wake up in the morning sometimes and wonder why I was so tired when I'd been in bed for a good 8-9 hours. This actually happened last night. Upon review of my FitBit data it turned out that I'd woken up 22 times in 7.5 hours. No wonder is was still tired!

But yes. I <3 FitBit.
  • reasonibreath
    Options
    How about for tracking other activities where calories are burned? (crunches, push-ups, jumping jacks, etc.)

And thank you for everyone who has replied.
  • Corkline
    Corkline Posts: 107
    Options
    Supposedly the Garmin forerunner 410 is good for the... But you have to wear the HRM strap with it, which may get irritating. And they're EXPENSIVE.
  • Nate7373
    Options
    I'm a little biased to the Striiv Play. It's easy to setup, just start walking. It also has a great concept of inviting friends and competing against them. It's hard to reach 10,000 steps a day and it pushes you to meet that goal. I just wrote an article showing the Striiv Play unboxed as well as the iPhone app that goes with it. It may be worth checking out if your interested.

http://www.nateanglin.com/striiv-play-pedometer-unboxed-and-how-to-set-it-up/
  • bobajoul
    Options
    Both the Striiv and Fitbit are just pedometers, so the caloric determinations are pretty flimsy at best. You can't get accuracy for under $100, because the filtering, memory and processor functions are sophisticated enough that they could not make if for a price point. Steps are a good way of keeping choice, however.
  • gal_amy
    gal_amy Posts: 47
    Options
    Both the Striiv and Fitbit are just pedometers, so the caloric determinations are pretty flimsy at best. You can't get accuracy for under $100, because the filtering, memory and processor functions are sophisticated enough that they could not make if for a price point. Steps are a good way of keeping choice, however.

Do you use a heart rate monitor?
  • andrederosier
    andrederosier Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I got a BodyMedia Link armband a month ago. App works with my smartphone and the LINK model has bluetooth to send all readins to phone live for quick feedback. It tracks calories burned all day along with steps and moderate/vigorous activity. Monitors sleep at night too. It say only wear for 23 hours a day at most so I plan a time to take it off when I am going to do something I did in that time range previously (watch a couple TV shows or sitting a desk at work). Then I go into activity monitor and it gives me options to say I was inactive, manually log my activity or I can select my activity level from 1 of previous 7 days. Battery level stays good for 3-4 days, still new so don't know if it lessens over time. It does so much except track heart rate.
  • andrederosier
    andrederosier Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Oh forgot to mention it but BodyMedia links with MFP and adjusts MFP exercise level to track calories burnt on MFP. And MFP sends over all my food tracking over to BodyMedia app so I only have to track food once. Tracking food once and not worrying about tracking exercise at all (says it records calorie burn over 90% accuracy which is better than I could do) makes the $150 priceless to me. Wife says she can't stand wear an armband all day (I don't even notice it anymore) and keeps asking me about how to track her exercise. Well I did some cardio in class but it also had some strength training and was a circuit "How would you track it?" I tell her "I have no clue and don't need to know since my armband says I burnt X amount of calories and that is good enough for me."