Too little sodium?

Options
I have never liked salty foods. It is extremely rare for me to crave potato chips or things like that. (I got fat on chocolate and cream sodas.) I don't use salt in my cooking. I use low sodium or no salt added versions of everything.

Since joining MFP, I have noticed that I am not getting anywhere NEAR the amount of sodium recommended in my log. I get about 700ish most of the time, but it can spike as high as 1800 if I eat processed foods. The recommendation is 2500. I can't fathom eating that much salt without just pouring it onto everything.

Are there any consequences for having too little sodium? Why is the daily recommendation so high?

Replies

• amandainez08
    amandainez08 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    There is a lot in your body that requires sodium in order to function properly. Muscle contractions, including your heart muscle, uses sodium. Sodium also helps keep your blood pressure stable, helps neurological signals transmit to your brain, etc. Too little sodium can result in a condition called hyponatremia. The complications of hyponatremia are altered mental status, low blood pressure, muscle cramps, dehydration, etc. You can check out the website below to get more information on this condition.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001431/

I'm a nursing student, so I hope this information I've learned will help you with your question! If you're not getting enough sodium in your diet, just a teaspoon of table salt has 97% of your day's worth of sodium in it! So, just a dash should do!
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The consequences of having too little sodium include seizures ( both my Grandmother and my MIL had this happen as a result of extremely low sodium diets coupled with drinking too much water). That said, If you are eating processed foods I doubt you are getting too little sodium. Make sure you are logging correct amounts and note that the database is not always correct. If you are craving salt you might want the indulge in a salty snack that fits into your calories for the day. I cook from scratch without adding much salt, I just sprinkle it on top of my food at meal time if required.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. The sodium is one of those where that is the MAX you should get. You would be surprised at the sodium you can get just from your regular food without adding any extra salt. You should not get 2500mg of sodium in a day. That is not healthy. 500 mg should be fine.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/4731-need-sodium-deficiency/

http://www.saltinstitute.org/Issues-in-focus/Food-salt-health/Human-salt-requirements

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/publications/dietaryguidelines/2010/meeting2/commentattachments/aha-220e.pdf
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I am borderline high bp so I do not use salt AT all. I have my levels on MFP set to 1500mg but my doctor wants me around 1000-1200mg so I think you are fine
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I saw a study on people restricked to all veggies and fruit. They were worried about the sodium intake being too low. So they gave them each 2 green olives a day. Thats all it took. I wouldn't worry too much.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    2500 mg of sodium per day is the upper limit, not a recommended level. I'm not sure how MFP arrived at 2500 mg/day. The American Heart Association now recommends that everyone (not just at risk groups) limit their sodium intake to 1500 mg/day.

See:

http://newsroom.heart.org/news/new-studies-reinforce-american-240224
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    You are fine! MFP has some messed up "recommendations". That number is the max. In fact, for certain groups, like African Americans and those with a history of hypertension, 1500 mg is the max. Stay low-it's a good thing!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    If you are running long distances then yes. If not, probably not a problem at all.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I actually do best with 2500+ sodium.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!
    I'll stick to the basic salads and proteins I have been eating, because I feel great when I eat them. If I start having problems, I'll try to add a dash of salt to something, or eat some sort of processed food.

Glad to know I am not the only one who thinks 2500 sounds ridiculously high!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I have never liked salty foods. It is extremely rare for me to crave potato chips or things like that. (I got fat on chocolate and cream sodas.) I don't use salt in my cooking. I use low sodium or no salt added versions of everything.

Since joining MFP, I have noticed that I am not getting anywhere NEAR the amount of sodium recommended in my log. I get about 700ish most of the time, but it can spike as high as 1800 if I eat processed foods. The recommendation is 2500. I can't fathom eating that much salt without just pouring it onto everything.

Are there any consequences for having too little sodium? Why is the daily recommendation so high?

That is the official maximum for health not the recommended amount, MFP just uses the official minimums or maximums for most things, they are not in a position to make up targets for such a diverse population. You should be taking in plenty of natural sodium for health in your seven to nine fruit and veggies, oily fish and other seafood, unless you sweat a great deal. The amount of sodium is not equal to the amount of salt, 2.5g of sodium is about 6g salt which is quite easy if you eat processed foods in fact it can be found in one pre packed sandwich. Don't rely on MFP, many people don't input the micronutrients sp it will underestimate unless you check every entry you are using for accuracy.

You would likely be better keeping an eye on other minerals - magnesium, zinc, calcium, iron.