Pasta Calorie Question

Options
This quite possibly is a stupid question but I want to make sure I have it right for my log. I used Barilla plus bow tie pasta which yields 210 calories per 2 oz. Does the 2 oz reffer to it dry or after it is cooked? I ate 1 cup of pasta so I am wondering if I have to count the calories as 4 oz which is 420 calories or as it was dry the 210 calories. 420 seems a bit high so I am hoping for the later. Any help would be greatly appreciated it did not specify on the box.

Replies

• lrose50
    lrose50 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I checked the food entries - Catelli has a bow tie for dry ( I think) then there was another brand that had bow tie cooked. Ranoni has a 1 cup dry pasta for 210 calories - you that one
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I did a test. Cooked 2 ozs of pasta and then weighed it and it doubled the weight. I am not sure if that would vary muc but from now on that's how I will measure and count pasta.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Usually pasta says there are 2 oz servings and 7 servings per container. So you could just divide the container by 7. Usually the box has 14 oz. Anyway, I think any time it says 2 oz on anything (rice, pasta, etc) it means before cooking.
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I would think that if you look on the box and the serving size vs number of servings in the box, and the weight on the box you can answer this for sure. If I misunderstood the question, I am sorry.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Pasta is usually measured dry. I'd go by what it said on the package, it usually gives whether it's dry or cooked weight.
  • amandainez08
    amandainez08 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Since you cook pasta in water (which has no calories), your 2 oz of noodles in terms of calories is exactly the same dry as it is cooked. All the noodle does is soak up the water when it cooks. So, if water has no calories, then your noodle calories stayed the same! So no worries!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
  • rose_mortem
    rose_mortem Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    in my experience, the 2 oz dry is almost always equal to 1 cup cooked, which is around 220 calories :smile:
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Since you cook pasta in water (which has no calories), your 2 oz of noodles in terms of calories is exactly the same dry as it is cooked. All the noodle does is soak up the water when it cooks. So, if water has no calories, then your noodle calories stayed the same! So no worries!

But 2 oz dry will weight more than 2oz when cooked. And different cooking can cause different weight.

Pasta and rice are measured dry.
  • Nurseblondy
    Options
    It's like what comes first the chicken or the egg lol. It only states the dry caloric count so I am going to go with that. Thanks all.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    The nutrition info on the back of the Barilla box is based on dry (before the pasta is cooked)
  • amandainez08
    amandainez08 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

But 2 oz dry will weight more than 2oz when cooked. And different cooking can cause different weight.

No, 2 oz is 2 oz either way, no matter what you're weighing. Now her noodles may weigh more after they are cooked, but like I said - it's because the noodles have soaked up the water. Water has no calories, so mathematically speaking, the noodle calories stayed the same.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    This quite possibly is a stupid question but I want to make sure I have it right for my log. I used Barilla plus bow tie pasta which yields 210 calories per 2 oz. Does the 2 oz reffer to it dry or after it is cooked? I ate 1 cup of pasta so I am wondering if I have to count the calories as 4 oz which is 420 calories or as it was dry the 210 calories. 420 seems a bit high so I am hoping for the later. Any help would be greatly appreciated it did not specify on the box.

Pasta and rice calories are always counted DRY. Usually 2 oz of DRY pasta = 1 cup of cooked pasta. So if you cooked 2 oz and ate 1 cup you ate 210 calories (plus the sauce of course).

Bon appetite! :drinker:
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

No, 2 oz is 2 oz either way, no matter what you're weighing. Now her noodles may weigh more after they are cooked, but like I said - it's because the noodles have soaked up the water. Water has no calories, so mathematically speaking, the noodle calories stayed the same.

Yes but I am saying if she weights after cooking, the 2oz plus the extra water will weight more. So if 2 dry oz weigh 3oz cooked and logs it as 3 oz, it will be higher calories than it actually is.
    I understand that 2 oz dry has the same calories as when it is cooked but it weights more. I am talking about logging purposes. If she weights it before it will be more accurate.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    The weight will be significantly higher after cooking but it's measured dry. However, the volume will only increase slightly so one cup will be about a serving.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Don't confuse matters by involving cups, use the scales.