Runners, knee painfrom treadmill?

Options
Here's the question. I've been running outside averaging 30-35 miles a week but due to the extreme cold the last couple of weeks (-42'C with wind chill) i moved to the treadmill. After the first week i start feeling pain on the inside of my one knee to the point that it ached all night. I gave it a couple of days rest and moved back to the street......no more pain! Thought treadmills were suppose to be easier on the knees. Anyone else experience this. I'm thinking if it gets cold like that again it's time to do some cross training.

Replies

• LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    I have had the same problem in the past. The only thing I could figure out, is that since i am running at a constant speed on the treadmill I somehow alter my stride especially when I start getting tired. I never have a problem running outside. Did you start having problems after you were on it a while or did the pain start right away?

I can feel your pain about the weather. It's been frigid here the last couple days and now freezing rain is on the way. Just can't win.
  • sonhando
    sonhando Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes. Local run shop guy explained that the belts on the treadmill tend to slide so you really have to pay attention to your form. I personally have also found i tend to think i can run at a faster pace on the treadmill and that can cause knee problems for me.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I hate running on the treadmill because I can't control my stride and movement like I can outside. I have to adjust my running style and I usually end up with more aches and pains than running on the road. It's a handy machine for bad weather but I'm not sure it's better.
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    physiotherapist told me that the treadmill can be heavier on the knees just because you are doing exactly the same move over and over and over again and any minor issue will be repeated for the length of your run.
    I have knee and hips pain when I run longer than 30 minutes on a treadmill, but I can run a half marathon and not feel a thing except for the soreness.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I actually have a torn miniscus in my left knee, so if I run on the tredmil or outside I have to wear a wrap for my knee, and running outside is supposed to be worse than a tredmil, but for me running on a tredmill feels like it has more impact on my knee when I'm running
  • AngelHeart1986
    Options
    I have struggled with knee problems on the treadmill too. My physio suggested increasing the incline to 0.5 or 1.0 o help absorb the shock on your knees.
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I would try changing the incline on the treadmill. Maybe the angle will change how your knee feels on it.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I end up running with a slightly different stride and body position on the treadmill. Between the framework of the treadmill around me (display & side arm bars) and the strange sensation of running full speed but not moving forward, I end up being more upright when on the treadmill. My natural running body position is upright but leaning a little forward. With no lean, it impacts my stride and how my hips & knees interact to absorb the impact of running. I haven't been suffering knee pain from the treadmill so far this winter, but I am aware of how different and unpleasant the sensation of the treadmill is for me.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with knee problems on the treadmill too. My physio suggested increasing the incline to 0.5 or 1.0 o help absorb the shock on your knees.

This. If you don't, it actually simulates downhill running for the entire duration of your run. I run at 3 incline & the faster I go ,the more I raise the incline. No more knee problems
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    well as said earlier for me any long treadmill runs are painfull and I always run with an incline of 2 or higher depending on the speed, but when I run outside it's always 1 hour + and I dont feel any pain. Varied movements.
    Just to clarify I am not a heel striker but more a front foot/close to flat foot runner, so knee problems are not a concern for me
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The pain came on after about 3 to 4 sessions. I do constantly vary speed and incline during my run. But I'm outside again so everything is good. Thanks for all the ideas. Think warm and keep truckin'.