Tips on preventing shin splints?

Options
I don't have flat feet, so getting arch inserts doesn't do anything.
Anyone else have this problem? I do a mile on an asphalt road, uphill and downhill.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Don't run
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Read ChiRunning, I've never had shin splints and I run distance. If you run hills, on the downhill, run in a zig zag pattern, it puts the pressure off of your shins. Also, stay off of concrete! It's the worst surface for running

I swear by this book, it has kept me running.
  • dtreg35
    dtreg35 Posts: 93
    Options
    Don't run

dammit......was going to say that
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Don't run

Thats one option.
    Here are a few others
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/322021-help-with-your-shin-splints?hl=help+with+your+shin+splints

Honestly, I ran through mine. I won't suggest that to anyone because you can end up injured. For me it worked and I had no choice. My doctor kept telling me to rest until they got better, but I never got anywhere running because every time I did, it hurt so I rested for weeks.
  • brendddda
    Options
    Running on hard surfaces (such as roads) is harder on your shins. If you heel-strike, you are more prone to them as well.

How old are your shoes? You may need to invest in new ones. Running shoes are one thing that I'm not cheap about. Bad shoes can lead to injuries.

I would like to add that you should probably take it easy when you have shin splints. My friend ignored hers and kept running, and now she has a stress fracture. I'm not saying stop running completely, just don't push yourself too much if it hurts.
  • MonicaT1972
    Options
    Why would orthodics not be an option??? I have messed up arches and have had orthodics all my life...couldn't live without them. Getting rid of shin splints is all about good shoes and orthodics is you need them!
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    well let me tell u what worked for me: 4 minutes into runnin, my shins and my calves were KILLING me. taking a class the next day...killed my already hurting shins and calves (the jumping jacks). It felt like my calves were filled with concrete and yet they hurt so bad, the slighest touch hurt terrible. i tried icy hot and hot showers, knee high socks etc. well i mentioned it to a nurse frined of mine, and she said, are u stretching? DUH! no i wasnt. i have begun to stretch before running and/or class, and guess what? today i was able to run 4miles without any pain!! :) i wouldve kept runnin but i was running late for a class. have u tried STRETCHING? and i dont mean the typical let me stretch real quick stretch. i mean like a 5 minute stretch. try it....let me know how it works for you! i was very glad they stopped, because ill b runnin a half marathon in may and with calves and shins hurtin like that.....impossible
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are landing midfoot, not heel pounding. Good shoes with adequate support. Do toe raises to increase the strength of your shin muscles. Stretching AFTER you run, before you only want to warm up the muscle with movements like jumping jacks or just brisk walking for a few minutes.
  • buttonfeet
    buttonfeet Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You definitely have to stop running. Learned the hard way. Start back up slowly and examine your foot strike. Don't make the same mistakes I made.
    In the meantime, cross train with low-impact/high intensity workouts. The resulting weight loss will lessen the impact. If you don't need to lose weight, the resulting cardio fitness will allow you to maintain endurance.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are landing midfoot, not heel pounding. Good shoes with adequate support. Do toe raises to increase the strength of your shin muscles. Stretching AFTER you run, before you only want to warm up the muscle with movements like jumping jacks or just brisk walking for a few minutes.

^good advice
  • sonhando
    sonhando Posts: 69 Member
    Options

This.
  • KTwalksThePlank
    KTwalksThePlank Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys! I warmed up better before running this morning, I paid more attention to how my feet were landing and then stretched more thoroughly when I was done. My legs feel warm, rather than tense. It's only been half an hour, so I guess I'll see how I feel tonight.
    I'm thinking it might be the way I run, especially on pavement. (trying to keep on the grassy shoulder for now on.)
    I have decent shoes, they're Nike Flex, so I'm not thinking that's the problem. If I keep ending up with splints, I'm going to get fitted for better shoes, just to be sure.
    Although, I've used Adidas, New Balance, Asics and all other kinds of brands for 6 years of Varsity and then Club soccer, and still always ended up with shin splints.

Thanks to all of you for the advice!