Help with TDEE did I do this right?

Options
Hi All,

I wanted to make sure I calculated my TDEE correctly. I am following hiitsdan's in place of a road map 2.0 directions.

Here are my stats for the military

5'10
175 lbs
13.5 in neck
36.5 in waist
40 in hips

Body fat percentage 24.6%

Now for the BMR:

Age 22
Male
height 70 inches
current weight/goal weight set to 175
bf % = 24.6%

I have a desk job but I am going to start lifting about 3 days a week and doing cardio 2 days a week (racquetball for about an hour each time)

I chose Lightly active and it gives me 2607 calories. (see below)

Activity Level Daily Calories
Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 2275
Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2607
Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2939
Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 3271
Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 3602

So for the TDEE would I just take the 2607- (2607*0.20) = 2085.6 calories? Is this correct?

I am skinny fat right now.. Have large love handles and a big butt. I would like to cut down to about 155 or 13-15% BF.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• dlcuthbert
    dlcuthbert Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bump...........
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Looks right. :). But since 2085 has calories deficiency calculated in, make sure you eat back your exercise calories.
  • dlcuthbert
    Options
    So if I was to exercise and lets say burn 500 calories, I should eat back those 500 calories? My goal is to lose about 2 lbs a week or 1.5
  • mywise
    mywise Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Your calculations look right to me....you already put lightly active down in your figuring so NO i would not eat your calories back as u already figured that in. Correct??? Mfp got way to confusing for me in regards to the eating back exer. cals etc. I write everything i do and eat on paper now...MFP always told me to eat 1200 cals and i never lost anythingfor several months so i upped it to 1800 (and did my tdee figuring like you did and went by that) and have lost 2-4 pds a week....BTW Im 5'5" female and now at 146 lbs....down from 162 at the start of dec...Id say start at your 2085(as that figured in 1-3 times wk exercise along with your .20 deficit) and review after 2 weeks...Also I did my calculations between the mod active and very active as i workout six days wk/ and have a very physical job....After looking again at your post if u intend on working out 5 days wk u may want to bump your calculations up to mod. active.....Another great site to get some info on is bodybuilding.com forums. They will be able to explain things a lot better then I LOL
  • dlcuthbert
    Options
    I have been reading a bunch of stuff on bodybuilding.com as well. Thanks for your input, didnt think I would want to eat back the calories I would burn. Appreciate the info
  • mywise
    Options
    BTW your TDEE (2607) is your maint. calories.... you take it x's .20 to get your deficit to loose weight... so NO do not eat back calories from exercise as you already figured that in thIS formula..
  • smeklc
    smeklc Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wmoomoo
    Options
    If TDEE is his maintain calories, by doing a calories deficiency, he will of course lose weight. But if he is exercising and doesn't eat back, wouldn't that create a bigger deficiency which wouldn't help the body?

OP, try do it without eating back the exercise calories, see how your body feels. If you are hungry, then might be start by eating back 50%-80%.(sometimes I might overestimate my calories burn)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You should be on moderately active like me.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    If TDEE is his maintain calories, by doing a calories deficiency, he will of course lose weight. But if he is exercising and doesn't eat back, wouldn't that create a bigger deficiency which wouldn't help the body?
    TDEE takes exercise into account. That's why you select an activity level.
  • dlcuthbert
    Options
    Thank you all for the help, will be looking at those two websites in more depth in the morning.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Looks right. :). But since 2085 has calories deficiency calculated in, make sure you eat back your exercise calories.

NO - using the Roadmap method you do not eat back exercise calories,
  • dlcuthbert
    Options
    Has anyone else used the scoobys workshop calculator that Julie posted?
  • mywise
    Options
    Yes Ive used it(scoobys) in the past... if you also go to hasfit.com.. under the articles section it will have the written out formula......Thats what I have been doing.....
  • wmoomoo
    Options

NO - using the Roadmap method you do not eat back exercise calories,

I understand that. The OP chooses light activities (1-3 days of activities) as his TDEE, but if you look at what he is planning to do which is 3 days strength and 2 days cardio plus racquetball for an hour then he should eat back some calories. However, if he chooses modern activities as his TDEE, then he shouldn't be eating back his calories.

Sorry if my point was not clear in previous posts.
  • dlcuthbert
    Options
    Sorry if I confused you guys my 2 days of cardio would be racquetball