Food Weight - Before and After Cooking

Options
When reading the nutrition labels on food.....what's the deal?
For example is a can of mushrooms - which is 2/3 water reads Sodium DV 33%...is that including all the salty water I'll be tossing out?
Another example: Bacon......bacon is about 1/5 the size after cooking. Then I dump all that salty grease.....what's the salt/calorie level of the remainder?
Another one....I have a 16 oz steak ready for the BBQ....not sure what the weight will be after I cook it but at 16 oz it's going to take a big chunk of the remainder of my daily calories......if it's 10 oz after I cook it, I want a piece of baked potato!!!!!
Answers anybody?

Replies

• Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I always curious on alot of this.. Tonight our dinner was cooked in sauce but I didn't eat any of it.. I just modified my diary for it. I am sure some of the juices got into but not that much.

Waiting to hear other answers.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Raw food like fruit & veg are as is.
    Meats, I go with 4 oz after it's cooked. But my bacon is usually per slice, 2 slices being about 90 calories/1 serving size.
    Dry goods, I go off what's on the box/bag.

Worse comes to worst, I try not to eat a portion size larger than my closed fist.
  • Raiderxx
    Raiderxx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Always go with pre-cooked weight. The stuff that gets lost when cooking, is not enough to even make it something worth counting.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Calories listed for meats are for the raw weight unless otherwise specified on the package.

Bacon is x calories per x slices. Don't take calories away because it shrunk and fat was lost.

Not sure about canned mushrooms...but I feel like the difference between cooked and uncooked would be small.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Meat is weighed before cooking. A lot of what cooks off is just water on foods other than bacon. Bacon is the one thing that always baffles me because so much fat comes off cooking it but there's also a lot left behind.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Always go with pre-cooked weight. The stuff that gets lost when cooking, is not enough to even make it something worth counting.

^ This. Thank you.
  • julie781
    julie781 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I log whatever the "raw" form of an item is.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options

^ This. Thank you.

Most of what gets lost from raw vs cooked for meat is water (at least for lean meats like chicken). Fatty meat cuts will render out some of the fat from the food during the cooking process.
  • DraftedByTheMan
    Options
    Ok...I see the t-bone should be counted prior to cooking....the bacon mostly likely after cooking and no one knows about the can of mushrooms (sodium).
  • HardLocker
    HardLocker Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    use pre cooked weight ,
  • DraftedByTheMan
    Options
    I just read the packaging for bacon and it included the "after cooking" calories