Need cheap healthy food advice :)

13»

Replies

• Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    canned tuna, buy bulk whenever possible, big bag of oats for oatmeal, buy bagged beans instead of canned beans... cheaper and can make alot more....Make foods in a crock pot then freeze leftovers so you have them for awhile. that's all I can think of. Good luck!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    I agree with the slow cooker. They are so handy to have and work great for cheaper cuts of meat, beans, or anything else that uses a longer slower cook time.

If you know someone with a Sam's membership they have chicken breasts usually under $2 pound and veggies are super cheap. You can also get the industrial size bag of beans (or rice) for usually under $5 and tuna much cheaper than most stores.
  • oferell1964
    oferell1964 Posts: 8 Member
    My best advice is to "eat real food." When we cut out the processed food, it slashed our grocery bill (chips and frozen pizza and cookies are EXPENSIVE). And, yeah, your crock pot is your friend.
  • cbh142
    cbh142 Posts: 270 Member
    You may or may not have time, but I found couponmom.com. It does tell you everything that is on sale in the different stores in your area. It also matches up coupons that have been released to the sale items. Its pretty cool and I end up getting food and non food items cheap, and its easy to compare prices.
  • LivingByDay
    LivingByDay Posts: 5 Member
    This is all really helpful! As a poor grad student I will definitely be utilizing these tips! I already buy eggs and potatoes bc they are cheap, versatile, and yummy! I really like the suggestion of planning out meals, price matching at Walmart, sweet potatoes, crockpot recipes (I can finally put my crockpot to good use), and freezing homemade prepared meals or freezing in general. I think there is an Aldi's within 20 minutes of me. I have a Walmart, giant eagle, and bulk food supply store run by some Amish folk.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Frozen veggies are a better alternative than canned when you cant afford fresh. They have less sodium and more nutrients left in them. Dont but the premade broccoli cheese or butter broccoli crap. It is full of bad stuff. Buy plain and season it yourself. Whole grain pasta is cheap usually.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    bulk oatmeal instead of individual packs.
  • Walmart and Target have good prices on cereal, also look for coupons which will save you money. Vegetables cooked in olive oil and garlic is so good and healthy. I buy a lot of vegetables in my house and if you go on the chobani website if you like that kind of yogurt they have coupons. Also in the Sunday paper a lot of coupons for yogurt and cottage cheese. Also, tuna is cheap. Also, is chicken and healthy too. Shop-rite if there is one by you always has specials and even Foodtown and stop-n-shop. You just have to check the paper. Also if you have a computer go onto coupons.com and they have many printable coupons. It is worth it. Believe me I once saves $65.00 on a shopping order..