33 male heavy all my life, where do I start?

Options

Replies

• MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Right here dearie. Add me if you'd like. I'm on daily.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Start with logging everything you eat and drink. Read up on how to achieve your goals and make changes as you are ready.

Best wishes.
  • sheltonjohnt
    Options
    Thank you!
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Here! You already started by joining MFP! Set some goals, make sure your caloric intake is with in reason, and log your food and exercise everyday as accuratly as you can. Keep up with it for at least 21 days to make it a habit. No pills, no crazy diets! And most importantly.... You can do it!
  • beloved0922
    beloved0922 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Logging is number one! Once you are aware of what you are eating you can make adjustments, plan ahead - lean protein, green veggies, reduce fat and sugar and stay within calorie goal. It sounds too simple. But we are what we eat. Know that you CAN do this, big changes are the result of little choices made consistently. We are all routing for you!
  • shirleylmartin
    shirleylmartin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Well, you first have to think about what your end goal is. I'm assuming it's to lose weight and inches and build muscle?

Next, you have to ask yourself what you are willing to change to get there. If you want to get results quickly, you will want to do what my husband has done (he's lost over 90 lbs in the last 11 months).

Food: We threw out all our pop and processed/pre-made food. We started finding awesome healthy recipes (www.allrecipes.com is a great place to start), and we now make practically everything from scratch. We also have a meal replacement shake every morning for breakfast, which gives us tons of the macro-nutrients and all the fruit and veggie servings you need in a day. It's an awesome shake called Shakeology.

Exercise: At first, since my husband was 357 lbs, when we changed our diet, the pounds started dropping off without any exercise. Once he got down to 300 lbs, that's when he started P90X - an at-home workout program that has helped him lose tons of weight and inches.

It's now a way of life for us. I hope this isn't too much information all at once. Please feel free to message me if you have any questions. :)

Shirley

edited for spelling error.
  • Healthybaby03
    Healthybaby03 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been fit most of my life until I had 2 kids via c-section. I was having such a hard time loosing the weight. I was 168, up from 90 (pre-pregnancies). I remember seeing Chris Powell of Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition. He said "Change happens in 2 minutes a day." He had these people who are 700 pounds from a standing position get down on all fours and stand back up again, for 2 minutes. I did it and was beat. I actually broke out into a sweat. Since it hurt my knees a bit, I joined Jazzercise. Every time there is song I don't like, a move I don't like or I just don't feel like moving, I tell myself that "change happens in 2 minutes a day and this is those 2 minutes. I keep pushing through and the song is over, the move is over or I get my second or 100th wind. I have applied this many things in my life, like conversations with my mother and when they will be over...it helps a lot! So in one year I went from 168 to 116. I hit my head a few months ago and due to a concussion, I was immobile and gained 4 pounds. So I'm at 120 and am trying very hard to get back to 95ish. As long as the clothes fits, I don't care, since muscle does weigh more than fat. I wish you luck, you WILL make it, if you focus on the end goal!
  • melimooo
    Options
    Hey well done, the fact that you have made the first step is amazing! all you need to do for the first seven days is enter your daily food and exercise this way you will become aware of energy in and energy out..............let me know how you go!
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    welcome you are a the right place this site is a big family looking out for each other, you can add me
  • Boringdoug
    Boringdoug Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You are here, that is a good place to start. I am new at this too. Add me if you want. (that goes for anyone)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Set a goal

take a picture of yourself in your underoos every couple weeks. It will show the transformation of a lean mean fighting machine you will be. Not all progress is shown on a scale right away.

Log in your calorie intake honestly and adjust as needed to accomplish your ideal cal intake.

Find some exercise that gets your heart pumping even if it just a brisk walk. What ever your body can handle. Weight lifting is a good one if you have access as long as you use your major muscles as that will burn more calories. If not there are plenty of fat burning exercises that will shed unwanted weight, Main thing is stay active. That thirty minute walk is better than watching some re-run on TV.

Stick to the routine and achieve your goal. If your mind tries to talk you out of it (everybody goes through it at some point), step up and do it. You can do it. You wouldn't be here if you didn't want it.

Feel free to message me anytime. You got this!
  • nuts4elephant
    nuts4elephant Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You can start by switching out all, or most of your beverages for water and taking the stairs instead of the escalator. Baby steps!:)
  • 0408boys
    0408boys Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Glad you are here, I am pretty new too, so feel free to add me.
  • priyasinha71
    priyasinha71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is a very good place to start. After setting my goal weight I am now staying in my calorie goals and already lost 10 pounds in just 3 weeks