Fruit, Veggies... and Sugar

Options
So I'm having a problem. I keep going over my daily sugar goals... from eating fruit and veggies. It's a pain in the *kitten*, and I'm not entirely sure what I can do about it. I honestly don't feel like cutting out fruits and veggies is the answer, or that it will benefit my health in the long run. Surely the vitamins, minerals and assorted other goodies in fruits and veggies outweigh the negatives of natural sugars? So my question is this: can people give me some ideas of low-sugar fruits and veggies I can munch on? I LOVE both peas and carrots, neither or which are too bad, but any other ideas? Or, given that it's natural sugars, is it really worth worrying about?

PS Don't look at my diary from yesterday. It's awful - Australia Day lol. However, todays should give you an indication if you're interested.

Replies

• ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I never worry too much about going over on my sugar if it's from eating good, healthy, whole foods such as fruits and vegetables. You can't snack on cabbage and carrot sticks for the rest of your life just to keep your sugars low! Just keep an eye out for the added sugars in processed foods.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    The majority of vegetables are relatively low in sugar if you stick to sensible serving sizes, sweetcorn is the major culprit. Low sugar fruits include berries, red and black currants, grapefruit, pumpkin, rhubarb.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Should not be a problem if it's from fruits and veggies. You can change your goal but don't change your source of your sugars.
  • amandacowan1978
    amandacowan1978 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you have lots of answers, but here is what I got from a registered dietician regarding this very question:

Don't worry about the sugar that comes from actual fresh veggies and fruit. "Obviously", she said "you don't want to sit around eating fruit all day, but if you eat a reasonable amount, don't count the sugar from it"

So I don't even worry, I track it if it's coming from more refined higher glycemic forms.