Failure.

Options
I hate the way my body looks and feels, and for health issues I need to get to at least a healthy bmi. Right now I'm about 200, 5'8" and healthy bmi is 130-160ish.

I've tried eating clean, South Beach, calorie logging, high cal, low cal, etc etc etc and I ALWAYS fall off the wagon and submit to failure, binge, despise myself, set more goals... rinse and repeat.

Has anyone gone from feeling hopeless and freaking addicted to food to having successful long term weight loss? Please help/encourage. I'm so ready to give up!

P.S. Just had my third child 4 months ago, my husband just deployed, I was diagnosed then undiagnosed with bone cancer 5 months ago and then rediagnsed with Nora's Disease... and I'm an emotional eater. Oh joy. Help please!

Replies

• lisadiane41
    Options
    Oh my god I feel sorry for you. As I child with a parent that had cancer I feel your pain. Please get some counseling to deal with your medical issues. I am not sure what Nora Disease is, but I am sure it is not good. There are no words I can say but my prayers are with you. Do not feel like a failure. You will overcome this. Think of all the positive things you have in your life. Like three beautiful children. Take one day at a time. YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE. Keep telling yourself that. I wish you all the best.
  • Samantha44145
    Samantha44145 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You certainly have A LOT to deal with right now.

For me, when I finally decided to lose the weight, I HAD to get pissed off. I had to get to a point where I was angry about all of the things that I was missing in my life. I had to see the raw reality that I was wasting my life cuddling with cookies on a couch.

I was 29,, maybe 210ish, watching the Biggest Loser with a box of Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies in my hand. It was the episode where the contestants had to run a marathon. It ticked me off - I realized at that moment that I had yo-yo dieted from 250 pounds to 210 pounds for YEARS and that I was turning 30 and still fat. At that moment it pissed me off that these contestants were bigger than me and running 26 miles and I couldn't run down the block. I decided right then that I was not going to turn 30 fat.

From there I invested in it -- I made sure to get an apartment with a gym in the basement. I started working at a place with a gym on site. Instead of getting cable tv, I took that money in my budget and applied it to a gym and martial arts school. I made sure that I didn't have any excuses.

I made tangible goals that I WANTED...Instead of focusing on things like "I want to be skinny", I focused on "I am going to run a marathon."..."I am going to win a TKD match."..."I am going to learn how to rock climb." I came up with the list of things that I wanted to accomplish in life.

When I worked out, I really thought about how hard I had to work to eliminate a piece of cheesecake. It's nuts! Something like an hour on the treadmill. When you equate food you're tempted by with things you hate like the treadmill, they become less tempting.

When I started to falter, I would ask myself if throwing all my progress and effort away was worth a cookie or a piece of cake.

In short, I was ticked off and I wanted it.

You have a lot going on. Maybe you just don't have the bandwidth to take this on the way you want to? Have you talked to your doctor about this?
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, I hope things start getting better for you. :( I know what you mean, sometimes it feels like we just aren't good enough and can't stick to it or aren't worth the effort. Just remember that you only have one life and you need to spend it living!!! Find a rhythm, get into it and really dedicate yourself. to being healthy and living your life for YOU and your family. Take it one day at a time, one slip up doesn't mean that you failed your diet. Just learn from the mistake, see what triggered it and try to remedy it, and move on! You've got your life to live, don't make one binge day or a few crappy years ruin the rest of it.

As for diets, I find just eating move fruits and vegetables in place of other foods to help me tremendously. Instead of pancakes or biscuits, I have a fruit smoothie with Splenda and skim milk. If you want something really structured and easy to follow, I recommend NutriSystems. I did that in high school and I found it really simple and everything tasted pretty good too!
  • LupitaWins12
    Options
    I'm also 5'8 started at 230 pounds down 165 pounds and it's been a struggle...I totally know how you feel, but let me tell you that you can do it! Take it day by day and don't do any diet, instead make healthier options! It's a lifestyle change, add in exercise at least 5 times a week, lots of water and the weight will drop. I myself need to lose 20 more pounds...lets do it together..we can do it!!!! You are worth too much to give up now,....nothing is impossible, and I know that you are strong enough to do it.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    For me, it took hitting rock bottom. Well, rock bottom by my definition. I had no place to go but UP. I started real slow... Portion control & 20 minute walks on the treadmill. I started keeping a journal with everything that was going on in my life & how I felt about it. I started reading books on self improvement, exercise, proper nutrition. I made it my hobby. I've made a 180 degree turn around & I love it. It's not always easy. But what's the alternative? Being miserable & unhealthy. I choose happiness & a healthy life/lifestyle. Dig deep. Search inside for you. YOU are the only one who can make this happen. Don't give up on yourself.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I've gone through that whole cycle as well. Part of the reason I failed so much was because I tried to do too much all at once and then when I failed in one part, I just gave up on all of it because I felt so overwhelmed. If that's you, maybe trying what I did will help instead. I just followed these three rules:

- Follow the calorie limit MFP has given you and don't go over. (Eat whatever you want, but don't go over your limit.)

- If you do want to eat something that will push you over the limit, you first have to earn the extra calories by exercising. (One candy bar at 220 calories = walking approximately 2.5 miles.)

- You can have one cheat day a week where you can go over your limit.

Just keeping track of calories will go a long way in helping you learn what a proper serving size is and how many calories really are in the foods you eat. And when I wanted to go over, sometimes I'd be too tired to do the exercise and learned instead to settle for a lower calorie alternative instead to stay within my limit.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I hate the way my body looks and feels, and for health issues I need to get to at least a healthy bmi. Right now I'm about 200, 5'8" and healthy bmi is 130-160ish.

I've tried eating clean, South Beach, calorie logging, high cal, low cal, etc etc etc and I ALWAYS fall off the wagon and submit to failure, binge, despise myself, set more goals... rinse and repeat.

Has anyone gone from feeling hopeless and freaking addicted to food to having successful long term weight loss? Please help/encourage. I'm so ready to give up!

P.S. Just had my third child 4 months ago, my husband just deployed, I was diagnosed then undiagnosed with bone cancer 5 months ago and then rediagnsed with Nora's Disease... and I'm an emotional eater. Oh joy. Help please!

The biggest factor in keeping me on this new life of eating properly is that I've just made little changes here and there that I know I can live with. Instead of burgers or crispy chicken sandwiches, I go with grilled, I quit regular soda and went to diet, and I eliminated most of my condiment use. These things alone helped me during the first few months of doing this and after that I have been able to incorporate more and more healthy foods into my diet.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I still have weight to lose to hit my goal (somewhere between 20 and 30 pounds I'll be better able to determine when I get there) but I have lost and successfully kept off a good chunk of weight over the past year (even through periods of time I felt were too stressful to actually diet). One of the biggest things that really helped me was logging my calories everyday but looking at it as calories per week. Yeah, my goal is to stay under my desired calories each day but if one day I go over (even if it's by a thousand) I can make it up throughout the rest of the week. So instead of being really mad at myself and of feeling like a failure and giving up, I just make sure that over the course of the rest of the week I stick to the plan and make up for what I did. Also, I can plan for something like a decadent dinner by cutting a few calories a day in the week leading up to it and then eat a guilt free dinner of whatever. I also like intermittent fasting (you can google it there are a ton of resources or check out a book like Eat Stop Eat). Even if I only decide to fast for 16 hours (basically from dinner the night before at 7pm to 11am the following day) I feel like I've hit a goal (it's a small, easy to hit goal). I especially like to throw in a good fast if after I've overdone it the day before it helps me feel like I'm back on track.
  • IronKitty
    IronKitty Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have not dealt with all you have had to deal with, but I had quite a hard couple of years before I decided to commit to losing weight and have no doubts I will make it happen. I am also an emotional eater and stress eat something terrible, especially because I am ALWAYS stressed out.
    What makes me so sure about losing weight this time and for good is because I have dealt with the psychological issues behind my eating. About a year ago I saw a nutritionist for a while, but the thing was I already knew how to eat properly and what we ended up dealing with is the real reasons I was eating the way I was when I knew better.
    If you are able I would definitely recommend finding someone to talk to about your issues, food-wise and other.