Vegetarian recipes needed

Options
ok im 11 weeks preg i hate eating meat i dont no why i just do . and now i am stuck eating noodles and i no its not healthy to only eat noodles . i love sushi fish . vegetables lots of vegetables and tofu but now every one is saying how tofu will kill me and it was my main staple and im all flustred with no darn vegetarian recipes and im so hungry . i need to no some healthy vegetarian recipes quick fish too and your opt on meat replacers

Replies

• jocelynhixon
    Options
    If you like soup I know a good one.
    1 acorn squash,
    2-3 large carrots,
    2-3 celery stalks,
    1 whole sweet onion
    about a tablespoon of garlic
    1 cup of water
    1 cup of almond milk
    salt and pepper to taste

Saute the garlic and onions until golden brown then add the other veggies and water. Cook on low until tender, then put it into a blender and blend until smooth and then put the puree back into the pot and add the almond milk and cook for about a minute or so and serve! :) Very easy and it tastes soo good!
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Black bean burgers:

1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1/2green bell pepper, cut into half inch pieces
    1/2 red bell pepper, cut into half inch pieces
    1/2 grated zucchini
    1 small can of sweet corn kernels
    1/2 onion, cut into wedges
    3 cloves of garlic, peeled
    2 eggs
    1 tablespoon cumin
    1 cup bread crumbs
    Chipotle chiles in sauce, pepper, and salt to liking

Throw all veggies into a food processor (minus corn) until everything is the size of a corn kernel.
    Drain out as much excess water as possible.
    Combine all veggies in a bowl.

Drain, rinse, and pat dry beans.
    Mash them up with a fork to the consistency of a paste.
    Remove all excess water.

Combine with veggies.

In a separate container combine cumin, salt, pepper, and chili.

Combine everything, with the eggs being last so that you can taste and add seasonings to taste.

The mixture should be slightly sticky and should hold together fairly well.
    Form palm-sized patties.

Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. or 10 minutes on each side.
    If you'd like to grill these, I suggest freezing them before hand, although you can grill them as is.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Here is my Vegetarian Chili Recipe. You can cut down on the chili pwder and the red crushed pepper if you don't like it so spicy. This makes a great big batch, about 8 servings of 2 Cups each. I freeze it in individual servings for when I want I fast meal!

Ingredients:
    1 3/4 Cups Pinto Beans
    1 1/2 Cups Black Beans
    2 - 25oz. jars tomato sauce (I use mushroom pasta sauce with no added sugar)
    1/4 to 1/2 jar water, in addition (to just cover the beans and vegetables)
    1 or 2 Green Bell Pepper, diced
    1 or 2 Red Bell Pepper, diced
    I onion, diced
    1 whole bulb of garlic, peeled and minced
    4 oz mushrooms (or 1/2 oz. dried mushrooms, reconstituted. I use dried maitake mushrooms)
    4 Tablespoons Chili Powder
    3teaspoons Crushed Red Pepper (from a seasoning or spice jar)
    2 teaspoons Black Pepper, or to taste
    I don't add salt, because there is salt in the tomato sauce.

Directions:
    Measure Beans into large pot, cover with water, bring to a hard boil, and let sit, covered, for at least one hour, but not more than 2 hours.

Chop and dice the bell peppers and onion

Mince the garlic and mushrooms (or chop mushrooms, if you prefer)

After beans have soaked, drain the beans, and rinse them in clear water, to help control gas.

Return beans to pot, with all the vegetables. Pour in the tomato sauce and water, and stir.

Add the chili powder, black pepper, and crushed red pepper.
    Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low or medium-low, to maintain a slow boil.

Cook to desired tenderness ( about 2 1/2 hours to 3 hours), stirring occasionally.
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    1 acorn squash,
    2-3 large carrots,
    2-3 celery stalks,
    1 whole sweet onion
    1 cup of water
    1 cup of almond milk
    salt and pepper to taste

Saute the garlic and onions until golden brown then add the other veggies and water. Cook on low until tender, then put it into a blender and blend until smooth and then put the puree back into the pot and add the almond milk and cook for about a minute or so and serve! :) Very easy and it tastes soo good!

This sounds amazing. I must try this.
  • lockettallen
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spinach-quiche-2/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=spinach quiche&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e13=A:Search Results-List(control)&e7=Recipe

Go this website and try the Spinach Quiche. So delicious I followed the recipe it was delicious. I added a little fresh chopped garlic and salt and pepper to taste.

1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen chopped spinach, thawed

1 bunchgreen onions, finely chopped (white parts only)

4eggs, beaten

1 (16 ounce) packagecottage cheese

2 cupsshredded Cheddar cheese

1/4 cupcrushed croutons

Check AllAdd to Shopping List

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9 inch pie or quiche pan.
    2.Place spinach in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until soft. Drain off any remaining liquid. Stir in green onions, eggs, cottage cheese and Cheddar cheese. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
    3.Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with crushed croutons. Return to oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes, until eggs are set.
    pper to taste.
  • jocelynhixon
    Options
    1 acorn squash,
    2-3 large carrots,
    2-3 celery stalks,
    1 whole sweet onion
    1 cup of water
    1 cup of almond milk
    salt and pepper to taste

This sounds amazing. I must try this.
    Oh it is! I'm just glad it's healthy because I can't stop eating it! :)
  • AuntieMC
    Options
    Barbecue Style Lentils

1 1/2 Cups dried (uncooked) brown lentils
    1 25 oz. jar spaghetti or marinara sauce (I use an organic sauce with mushrooms in it)
    About 1/4 of the empty sauce jar of Water
    1 Cup chopped/diced Red onion
    8 cloves of garlic, minced
    3 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
    2 Tablespoons Agave Nectar or Honey
    1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
    1 teaspoon mustard powder
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    Salt and Pepper to taste. I think I use one or two teaspoons of each.

Directions:
    Mix everything into one pot with a lid, bring to a boil, and then cook on low till tender (about 30 minutes, I think).
    If they get too dry before they are tender, you can add a little water.
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    i just throw things together and don't use a recipe - you can goggle and find lots of great recipes. some amazing ones posted here also. The soup and black bean burgers both sound Amazinggggggggggggg. :tongue:
  • AuntieMC
    Options
    Lentil Cabbage Casserole

To make enough for two people for one dinner. Please excuse the very basic cooking instructions -- I wrote this up for someone who didn't know how to cook at all, not even how to boil up some rice!

Ingredients:
    1/2 Cup dry green lentils
    1/2 Cup dry (uncooked) brown rice, preferably basmati brown rice, but any kind will do
    1/2 Green Cabbage, medium sized
    1 yellow onion
    either 1-2 Tablespoons Butter OR 1-2 Tablespoons Olive Oil (not any other kind of oil!)
    Salt
    Pepper

Directions:
    In one pot, measure out the 1/2 Cup of dry brown rice, add one cup of water, bring it to a boil, then reduce heat to low and put a lid on the pot, and cook till done, and the water is absorbed. This might take 30 minutes to 40 minutes. You have to watch it closely after 25 minutes, to make sure it doesn't run out of water and burn!

In another pot, measure out the 1/2 Cup dry green lentils. Add plenty of water (no need to measure the water -- you will be draining it off!). Put a lid on the pot. Bring it to a boil, the lower the heat to low, and pop the lid up a little on the side of the pot, so that the pot is covered, but not tightly. Let cook for at least 20 minutes, but not more than 30 minutes. Drain the lentils.

Mix the cooked lentils and the cooked rice together. This can be done just before you make dinner, or it can be done the day before, and just have some cold lentils and rice waiting in the refridgerator for when you make dinner!

Wash the cabbage, cut it in half. Save half for another day. Chop the other half up (dice it -- first cut into strips, then into squares).

Put the chopped cabbage into a large pot. If you have a steaming rack for the pot, that is ideal, but you can cook it without one, if you don't have one.

Peel and chop the onion. Add it to the pot with the Cabbage.

Put just a little bit of water in the pot. If you have a steaming rack, the water should come to just below the steaming rack. If you don't have a steaming rack, put maybe a half an inch or so of water in the bottom of the pot. Certainly no more than one inch of water in the bottom of the pot.

If the cooked lentils and rice are warm, leave them alone. If the cooked lentils and rice are cold, add them on top of the cabbage and onions, so they can warm up while the cabbage and onions cook.

Bring the pot to a boil. Keep a lid on the pot, and let it boil at medium high heat for 3 minutes to 5 minutes, no longer. This will make it still slightly crunchy, and keep more nutrients intact than cooking longer.

Drain the cabage/lentil mixture, and either put it back into the pot or into a big bowl.

Add either the butter or the olive oil to the cabbage/lentil mixture, and stir several times to mix it in.

I have never measure the salt or the pepper! It can be salted to taste. I recommend plenty of pepper -- enough to actually SEE bits of pepper in the mixture, but not so much that it is thick with pepper! Just enough to see flakes of pepper here and ther, after mixing it in.

This makes two really large bowls, and I find it very filling! But sometimes I add a side dish, like cooked carrots, especially if I have company.
  • AuntieMC
    Options
    To get protein without meat, you might like to use lentils, beans, quinoa, nuts, eggs, cheese, brown rice and things like that. Lentils combined with nuts make a more complete protein, and beans combined with rice or other grains make a complete protein. You don't have to combine them at the same meal, I have been told, as long as you are getting some of each. Other combinations work, too. Eggs make a quick, easy meal, and they are good in fried rice recipes, or various oriental style stir fries with lots of vegetables. Nut butters (I like raw almond butter stuffed into celery) are good. Cheese sticks and cottage cheese and yogurt might be good. I don't use a lot of dairy products myself, but many vegetarians do. Salads with pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds might be good. There is a lot out there to choose from!
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    tofu wont kill you lol.

I dont think you can eat sushi when pregnant.

Supercook.com is where its at.
  • AuntieMC
    Options
    Salmon Recipes

For a quick and easy salmon dish, just put your salmon fillets in a covered pan with a little bit of water, and sprinkle on some lemon pepper, then bake at 350 till done. Yum!

For a fancier but very tasty salmon dish, spread some dijon mustard on the salmon fillet, and cover with a bunch of chopped herbs, like parsely, chives, basil, or whatever you like. you might want to press them onto the dijon-covered filet a bit. Bake uncovered at 350 till done.
  • AuntieMC
    Options
    Sweet Potato Fries

For a nice, filling side dish, cut up a sweet potato into fry-sized strips or wedges, if you prefer. Drizzle on some olive oil, and stir them up to coat them with the olive oil (not too much!). Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake at 350 till done. Some people cook them longer to get a more tender fries, some people cook them less, to get a crunchier fry. Don't leave them in long enough to get brown, though. They aren't good that way. I turn them over with a spatula, about half way through the cooking. I cook them for about 20 minutes on each side.
  • namesanita
    namesanita Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Here is another soup. I use chicken broth, but if you can't eat that veggie broth is good too (I've made it veg for my friends too). This recipe is so delicious, people always want the recipe. It is also very economical. If you make a double batch it freezes well for lunches or dinners at a later date. This recipe is high in iron, fiber and protein as well as trace minerals.

1 1/3 c dried red lentils
    7 c chicken or veggie broth
    1 lg onion diced
    2 lg carrots
    4 cloves garlic finely chopped
    2 tbsp tomato paste
    1 tsp gr cumin
    1/8 tsp cayenne (adjust to your taste)
    sea salt if you need more
    lemon wedges for serving

1. Saute onion garlic and carrots about 5 min. add cum saute 1 min more
    2. add broth, lentils, cayenne, tomato paste bring to boil over high heat simmer until lentils fall apart (25 min)
    3. remove from heat use an immersion blender to puree. If you don't have a hand held blender blend 1/2-2/3 soup in a regular blender in small batches but be careful. put a teatowel on top to protect yourself..
    4. serve hot with a squeeze of lemon juice.
  • AuntieMC
    Options
    Cashews and Steamed Japanese Style Vegetables with Rice

1 ½ Cups Brown Basmati Rice
    1 ½ Cups Pea Pods
    2 Cups Bean Sprouts
    2 Cups sliced Broccoli florets
    4 Stalks of Celery, cut diagonally
    3 Carrots, cut diagonally
    2 Cups onions, sliced and cut into long strips
    6 to 12 cloves of garlic, minced
    6 oz. cashews
    6 to 12 Shiitake mushrooms, sliced (optional)
    4 Mandarin oranges (tangerines)
    Soy sauce if desired
    Seaweed Gomasio, if desired

DIRECTIONS:

Cook the rice according to package directions.
    While it is cooking, wash and slice or chop or mince the vegetables.
    Steam the vegetables for no more than 5 minutes in a pot with a little water.

Place rice on plate, top with helping of steamed vegetable. Top that with about one ounce of cashews, and, if desired, Seaweed Gomasio and/or soy sauce.

Peel the mandarins, and garnish the plate with some mandarin wedges.

Serves 6.
  • AuntieMC
    Options
    Vegetable Lo Mien

INGREDIENTS:
    ½ pound noodles, broken into fourths (I used whole grain spaghetti noodles)
    1 TBS Olive Oil
    2 TBS Soy Sauce
    4 stalks of celery, sliced diagonally
    2 carrots, peeled and cubed
    8 Shiitake Mushrooms, sliced thinly
    1 medium to small onion

DIRECTIONS:
    Chop, slice, cube vegetables. Steam the vegetables, drain, and set aside.
    Meanwhile, boil the broken noodles. Drain.
    Place olive oil and soy sauce in a pan, then briefly stir fry the noodles to coat them. Add the vegetables to the pan, and briefly stir fry them, just to mix and warm.
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend going to greenlitebites.com
    There are a lot of wonderful, healthy vegetarian meals on there. My favorites are Mom's Thanksgiving Stuffing, and the Vegetarian Chili. It's pretty heavy on beans, but I <3 it.
  • mcshug78
    Options
    will have to try this, sounds gorgeous x
  • 2204givme
    Options
    THIS STUFF SOUNDS GREAT CANT WAIT TO TRY
  • mx2mama
    mx2mama Posts: 62
    Options
    Bump, thanks!