Athletes > Injuries > Ending Up Overweight/Unfit ?

Options
2»

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I have seen quite a few profiles on mfp of former athletes who could no longer exercise due to injuries to joints and needing replacements of knees and such things, and have to wonder if some forms of exercise put such a stress on the body that eventually they can lead to a loss of the very thing they are supposed to be attaining - fitness and health.
    It does concern me slightly, given I do a fair amount of exercise,including running.
    I mean, there do seem to be a lot of athletes/professionals, who end up overweight as they get older, either due to injury or due to not being able to keep their lifestyle up as they age.

Opinions ?

Well, there's always SOME kind of exercise one can do. I have arthritis so I do Aquacize at our local pool. We have a lot of people in the class with hip and knee replacements and they all do very well (after the initial recovery phase, of course). There is something magic about water exercise (or swimming in general) for any kind of musculo-skeletal injury. I wouldn't be afraid. I know some runners who incorporate a session in the pool every week--tends to fix what ails ya'. :smile:
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    What about those who do damage, though, that permanently prevents them from ever doing anything strenuous again?
    As in, permanent damage to joints and the like?
    That is one concern of mine, given I run now. That it will result in my succombing earlier to things that might otherwise not have hit me until later in life. I think some exercise, or certain amounts of exercise, can act as a stressor on the body.

You need a calorie deficit, plain and simple. Personally, I lost weight WAY easier during the years when I was mostly inactive. It's SO much easier to carry a calorie deficit when you have no risk of bonking 5 miles from home. That's one long-*kitten* walk when you are out of fuel.

I am not talking only about weight loss, since I have never personally been overweight.
    I am also referring to fitness and mobility.

The Human body is a use-it-or-lose-it entity. I'd be FAR more worried about osteoporosis than I would any sort of "overuse" injury, which isn't even all that likely if a runner trains wisely. I haven't really run into much of the way of injuries specific to day-in/day-out running. My injuries have been more of the acute sort...a sprained ankle during a trail relay and my busted wrist while mountain-biking. But my bone density is likely rock solid and my blood work is off the charts amazing. I don't worry and you shouldn't, either, if you are training with common sense and feeling well.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    What about those who do damage, though, that permanently prevents them from ever doing anything strenuous again?
    That is one concern of mine, given I run now. That it will result in my succombing earlier to things that might otherwise not have hit me until later in life. I think some exercise, or certain amounts of exercise, can act as a stressor on the body.

I have my issues of age and bone spurs, but I just have to work through it. Some days are better than others. You don't stop, you just adjust.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Lot of good replies here. I was a competitive swimmer and by 17 had injured my shoulder and knee and had to stop. I did gain weight because later on I had some non-athletic injuries. But the problem was eating like an athlete and living like a couch potato. I am nearly back to where I used to be in life and hope to someday swim again - even if it is just for fun! I think you can overcome a lot of injuries - athletic or not- if you put your mind to it.

Good for you! Competitive sports can beat up your body pretty bad. But being in the pool for exercise fun and relaxation is great. Go for it! :smile:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

None of us can predict the future. What about those that don't exercise and who's bodies succumb to osteoporosis? Or have back trouble simply because their back is weak from lack of exercise?

If you want to see bad things you will always see bad things. Stop making excuses and start making decisions.

Excuse me, but I am not making excuses. I workout hard every day. I was merely asking a frigging question having read a few profiles of former athletes here who had ended up with injuries and overweight. I am my hardest taskmaster, heck I managed to starve myself to 70Ibs when I was younger, so I am perfectly well versed in willpower, thankyou very much.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    as a former athlete whose career was cut short and wasnt able to represent the national team because of an injury, i can say that in my case the issue wasnt the exercise itself but the lack of proper recovery and healing time.

in any case in my instance it wasnt the fact that i wasnt able to continue exercising 4 -5 hours a day 6-7 days a week that was the problem, because let's face it that type schedule is NOT long term sustainable. weight started piling up for me because even though i was still working out at a normal 45-60 minutes a day 6-7 days a week, i was still EATING like i was a bada$$ rugby flanker who needed those calories to keep weigh on so i could cream the crap outta b*ches even though in reality i was a working in a cubicle 8-10 hours a day :laugh:

also for the record, i still have shoulder issues. but what i do now is make sure i build in rehab into my week.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    oh and i think i should also point out that what's considered strenuous by someon from a non athletic background is very often not considered strenuous from someone who was an athlete

so this question is a bit relative

even if someone cant do something "strenuous" however they define that to be, that doesnt mean they can't do anything.

for instance just because your joints can't take a running a marathon doesn't mean you also need to forego 5Ks
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt the run of the mill exercise program including weight training and running is going to carry any long term-consequences. Athletes that suffer from long-term issues play sports that are tough on the body, football, baseball, basketball etc. and usually are impacted by injuries suffered such as ACL tears, joint wear and tear, broken bones or other ailments. I played basketball until I was 22, had to have knee surgery from overuse and can't play anymore without suffering the next day due to the cutting involved in the sport. That said, running or other activities don't bother me at all. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I"m guessing there is also a correlation between weight and long-term injury..
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    I highly doubt the run of the mill exercise program including weight training and running is going to carry any long term-consequences. Athletes that suffer from long-term issues play sports that are tough on the body, football, baseball, basketball etc. and usually are impacted by injuries suffered such as ACL tears, joint wear and tear, broken bones or other ailments. I played basketball until I was 22, had to have knee surgery from overuse and can't play anymore without suffering the next day due to the cutting involved in the sport. That said, running or other activities don't bother me at all. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Thanks, I was just mainly curious as I had come across it a few times, and had also had a conversation with my boyfriend about this, as I was talking about how I was getting into weight training, and he bought up how many of them end up flabby and overweight when they stop, or when age prevents them from being able to keep up the same regimen. So I was interested in that in general, and in how common it is, not because I am concerned about becoming overweight personally, more as a curiosity.

That said, I would hate to injure myself and find I could not workout to the intensity I do at the moment. I would find that frustrating.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    as a former athlete whose career was cut short and wasnt able to represent the national team because of an injury, i can say that in my case the issue wasnt the exercise itself but the lack of proper recovery and healing time.

in any case in my instance it wasnt the fact that i wasnt able to continue exercising 4 -5 hours a day 6-7 days a week that was the problem, because let's face it that type schedule is NOT long term sustainable. weight started piling up for me because even though i was still working out at a normal 45-60 minutes a day 6-7 days a week, i was still EATING like i was a bada$$ rugby flanker who needed those calories to keep weigh on so i could cream the crap outta b*ches even though in reality i was a working in a cubicle 8-10 hours a day :laugh:

also for the record, i still have shoulder issues. but what i do now is make sure i build in rehab into my week.

That makes sense, for sure.
    I suppose I sometimes get to wondering if those who do more moderate exercise, and thus have perhaps less chance of injury, are somehow being more sensible than someone like myself, who tends to go all out(for me personally) in their exercise, in terms of long term health and wellbeing. That said, there is always an alternative. If I got injured running, I could up my cycling or take to swimming.
  • zoom2
    Options
    I suppose I sometimes get to wondering if those who do more moderate exercise, and thus have perhaps less chance of injury, are somehow being more sensible than someone like myself, who tends to go all out(for me personally) in their exercise, in terms of long term health and wellbeing. That said, there is always an alternative. If I got injured running, I could up my cycling or take to swimming.

Right...because cyclists and swimmers are not at all injury prone. My worst running injury (grade 2 sprain during a trail relay, that I continued to run on...literally "taking one for the team") paled in comparison to my worst cycling injury (grade 2-3 sprain + 2 broken bones and 5+ weeks in a long arm cast, now facing months of PT and likely permanent partial loss of function in my dominant hand due to ligament and tendon damage). A friend of mine has had 2 Ti plates and 3 surgeries on her wrist from bike crashes. If you don't crash a bike bad at least once you're not doing it right. Nevermind the likelihood of being hit by a car, which is unfortunate, but reality. A triathlete friend broke her leg entering the water on the swim leg of a race. :tongue:
  • Graelwyn75
    Options

Right...because cyclists and swimmers are not at all injury prone. My worst running injury (grade 2 sprain during a trail relay, that I continued to run on...literally "taking one for the team") paled in comparison to my worst cycling injury (grade 2-3 sprain + 2 broken bones and 5+ weeks in a long arm cast, now facing months of PT and likely permanent partial loss of function in my dominant hand due to ligament and tendon damage). A friend of mine has had 2 Ti plates and 3 surgeries on her wrist from bike crashes. If you don't crash a bike bad at least once you're not doing it right. Nevermind the likelihood of being hit by a car, which is unfortunate, but reality. A triathlete friend broke her leg entering the water on the swim leg of a race. :tongue:

Lol, maybe I shall just stick to walking haha, though there is always the risk of tripping over the kerb or getting chased by a dog.
    I love cycling though, I guess it is a chance to be taken for something you enjoy. Only accident I had so far was as a result of the store overinflating my tyre, which burst as I cycled along a main road, and went butt over handlebars into the middle of the road with the bike on top of me. Nothing broken, just bruised and a bit nervous of going out again.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    any activity, including getting up from and sitting down on your couch - has a risk of injury.

when it comes to exercise it really isnt that difficult to be honest with yourself when you need to recover and heal.
  • zoom2
    Options
    Only accident I had so far was as a result of the store overinflating my tyre, which burst as I cycled along a main road, and went butt over handlebars into the middle of the road with the bike on top of me. Nothing broken, just bruised and a bit nervous of going out again.

Doesn't that make a sound?! First time I heard a road inner tube burst I thought someone had fired a gun! DH had one burst in his car while he was driving...I woulda shat my pants!
  • ser0630
    ser0630 Posts: 223
    Options

I went through that 8 years ago when I fell 12 feet and ended up with a 2 inch section of the radius bone in my left arm shattered to the point to where it was powder, multiple broken bones in my left and and wrist, along with soft tissue damage, two broken ribs, four cracked vertebrae in my mid-back, and 200 hair-line fractures in the lift side of my rib cage, left hip and femur. I had to have several surgeries on my left arm. I also had major bruising from my left shoulder down to my left ankle.

All that right there made working out difficult. I was in pain for a good three weeks after the fall. Before my fall, I was working 8-10 hours a day as a telecommunications technician (doing inside wiring and installation of devices) and playing softball. So basically, the "forced inactivity" is what got to be. Yes, I was going to occupational and hand therapy (starting 8 days after my first hand and wrist surgery), but working out was literally out of the question for a good 6 months afterwards.

Yes, I did end up overweight and unfit as a result. I did deal with depression and messed up sleep habits/patterns because of this. The stress of dealing with worker's compensation didn't help much either. I ended up gaining 40 lbs as a result--which I am now working on trying to lose.
  • owswixie
    owswixie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Many ortho and sport medicine docs consider swimming very hard on the body. In my 6 years swimming on a competitive level I injured my back, my shoulder, my knee and my hip. At one point I had 5 compressed nerves in my spine.

Anything repetitively done to the joints carries the risk of injury - including hefting around excess body weight and that is not something you can stop doing for a few weeks to recover. You can just do your best to learn proper mechanics and learn when your body has had enough. What I learned is it is harder to repair a broken spirit than it is to repair and overcome injuries. The 8 years I did not exercise were the worst of my life.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Only accident I had so far was as a result of the store overinflating my tyre, which burst as I cycled along a main road, and went butt over handlebars into the middle of the road with the bike on top of me. Nothing broken, just bruised and a bit nervous of going out again.

Doesn't that make a sound?! First time I heard a road inner tube burst I thought someone had fired a gun! DH had one burst in his car while he was driving...I woulda shat my pants!

Haha yes, there was a loud noise, but I had never had it happen before, and I kept trying to pedal, and it all sort of happened rather quickly, haha. I did a nice somersault over the handlebars, and luckily, the car right behind me had obviously seen or somesuch as it was a busy, 2 lane road. I was not wearing a helmet either.