Eating on set times

Options
This might be a silly question, but is it important to eat around the same time everyday?

Example:

Breakfast at 8
snack at 10
lunch at 12-1
snack at 2-3
dinner 6-7

Let me know what works for you guys

Replies

• bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    people get butthurt over this topic. do what suits you best.
  • dayhawk68
    Options
    I think that it's actually very healthy to do so. In fact I think Dr.Oz mentioned that you should try to schedule your eating. However, some of us (me), don't get to plan their meals out by the hour or whatever. Since I'm a waitress and work 7-8 hours a day I tend to fluctuate my eating times. On my days off, though, I tend to try to eat at the same time everyday. It lets my body know and prepare to burn calories.

Correct me if I'm wrong, anybody, but I think it also helps with your sleep cycle.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    This is crucial for me. Usually breakfast is around 9:00am, lunch is around 12:30-1:00pm, and dinner is around 5:30. Snacks are in between.

I have found if I don't do this (especially breakfast), my blood sugar crashes, and I get irritable.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Meal timing should be based on preference, lifestyle, energy levels and gym adherence. Beyond that, it does not matter when you eat in the day.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I do my best to eat on a regular schedule. Unfortunately, life gets in the way. Sometimes I eat dinner at 8 pm. Do what works for you. :smile:
  • Janelle173
    Janelle173 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    IDK about eating at the exact same time everyday, but what I know works for me is to eat every 2-3 hours, small meals. Instead of 3 big meals and 2 snacks. When I am on track to lose weight and feel my best, I get into the routine of eating 5-6 small meals a day, every 2-3 hours.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    If scheduling works for you, go for it. I find that it does help to be on a meal plan though. It helps me make sure I hit my calorie and macro goals.

That being said, it's not necessary to lose weight to eat often or on a schedule. You can eat 1-2 times per day and still lose as long as you're on a calorie deficit.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    not really. You may see some short term gains by eating late but long term it will be little to no difference. Only time I think it really matters is if there is a medical reason such as medications or diabetic timing, etc.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    When it comes to weight loss, on a scale of 1-10, eating at the same time of ranks around negative 1 million.

It's a legit question to ask, but the honest answer is that it doesn't make a difference
  • LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options
    I think it depends how much trouble you have regulating your own appetite. For weight loss, it really is as simple as calories in vs calories out but that can be very difficult if your appetite is erratic. Some people will find eating meals at similar times helps with this as your body can adjust so eventually you won't feel so hungry having smaller portions.

It's also important if you have any kind of metabolic disorder e.g. Diabetes
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Meal timing should be based on preference, lifestyle, energy levels and gym adherence. Beyond that, it does not matter when you eat in the day.

^^^ this

personally I eat several meals a day, with no particular timing, other than I always have a post-workout meal as soon as I can after exercising.

however there is nothing wrong with eating fewer meals or eating at the exact same times each day or whatever, so long as you are feeding your body properly'

weight loss = calories in versus calories out

health (which includes losing fat rather than lean body mass) = getting the right amount of protein, healthy fat, healthy carbs, vitamins, minerals, fibre and water and enough calories to sustain your body and current level of activity/exercise

meal timing and frequency is a matter of what's most convenient and what will help you the best to stick to the above
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    When it comes to weight loss, on a scale of 1-10, eating at the same time of ranks around negative 1 million.

It's a legit question to ask, but the honest answer is that it doesn't make a difference

this
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    This might be a silly question, but is it important to eat around the same time everyday?

Example:

Breakfast at 8
    snack at 10
    lunch at 12-1
    snack at 2-3
    dinner 6-7

Let me know what works for you guys

I don't see the logic of eating every two to three hours all day and then not eating for as long as fourteen hours evening and overnight. You haven't said what you are trying to achieve, there could different responses for and from those who are trying to lose, gain or just be healthy.
  • Bbells89
    Bbells89 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you guy, I really appreciate it :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    No. Calorie deficit is what matters, meal timing is a matter of preference.
  • 5auce
    5auce Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Aside from not eating past 8pm, the only meal I time is the one I eat before my workout. If its more/less than an hour I get super nauseous.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Meal frequency is based solely on personal preference and nothing more... Eating your daily caloric intake in 1 meal or several over the course of the day will have no effect on the overall outcome of weight loss or weight maintenance. If you have a medical condition that dictates a more rounded eating schedule (Diabetes, which is my case) then those would be the exceptions to the rule.... Best of Luck
  • MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    Whatever works for one may not work for another. A lot of the time scheduling with jobs or school or kids etc. get in the way. As long as you are getting all your macros in and making healthy choices then it really doesnt matter much. I personally eat about 5 times a day with meals and snacks and it helps my appetite from sneaking up, but i have friends who eat maybe only twice a day and are successful.