Sweat....

Options
So.. random/ weird/ gross question:

Does anybody else seem to start to sweat more during a workout as they're getting fitter/ losing weight? I'm talking the dripping off you kind of sweat... I never used to drip sweat, and I'm not sure if it's partly to do with the Australian summer, but it just seems to be getting worse and worse! My workout clothes are soaked when I finish even a 20-30 minute workout! So just wondering if anyone else has experienced a change in their sweating...

Replies

• dukanukem
    Options
    Over here the humidity seems to be getting worse each year and I really drip sweat when it is, but even in winter working hard I will too lol
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yep.

what's worse is that now that i do anything that seems close to something i'd do in a workout, my body starts with the water works :laugh:

for instance i run sprints quite often during HIIT sessions. a few days ago i had to sprint to make my bus home. i was fine when i got to the stop, wasn't breathing too hard but like 2 minutes after i was done my body switched into "OK she much be working out" sweat mode :laugh:
  • Ms_Pixie
    Ms_Pixie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    great to know it's not just me :)
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I sweat more now. I think it's a combo of weather and that i am pushing myself more.
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that you do sweat more as you get fitter because your body gets more efficient at cooling yourself down.

I do Insanity and the leader, Shaun T, sweats a load more than I do and he is amazingly fit!
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I remember reading somewhere that, as you get fitter, your body gets "better" at sweating, starts sweating earlier in anticipation of an intense workout, etc.. Since it's winter it feels like I haven't been really sweaty in forever, but I think it's generally held true with me. But I did have to wonder if it wasn't just some vicious cycle of drinking a lot to compensate for the sweating and then sweating more because I was so well hydrated...
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that you do sweat more as you get fitter because your body gets more efficient at cooling yourself down.

I do Insanity and the leader, Shaun T, sweats a load more than I do and he is amazingly fit!

I've always heard this too. And it's always held true for me.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    as you get fitter, your body gets "better" at sweating, starts sweating earlier in anticipation of an intense workout, etc..

^^^
    This for me. As you body gains endurance and builds strength while burning fat, your body needs to cool off even more.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    yep.

what's worse is that now that i do anything that seems close to something i'd do in a workout, my body starts with the water works :laugh:

for instance i run sprints quite often during HIIT sessions. a few days ago i had to sprint to make my bus home. i was fine when i got to the stop, wasn't breathing too hard but like 2 minutes after i was done my body switched into "OK she much be working out" sweat mode :laugh:

What likely happened is when you were moving the air moving around you cooled you. When you stopped, the air stopped, yet your body was still warm and needed to cool off.

This happens a lot when I run. Into the wind I don't feel myself sweating even though I actually am. When I go with the wind I feel the sweat pouring off me because it's not being carried away/evaporating.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    yep.

What likely happened is when you were moving the air moving around you cooled you. When you stopped, the air stopped, yet your body was still warm and needed to cool off.

This happens a lot when I run. Into the wind I don't feel myself sweating even though I actually am. When I go with the wind I feel the sweat pouring off me because it's not being carried away/evaporating.

This phenomenon happens to me all the time while cycling.

Have you also considered that as you've become more fit, your workouts are growing in intensity. Nowadays, "easy" workouts are what used to be "moderate" or even "vigorous". So when you reach "moderate" now, your body is working harder than it used to in the past.

Whatever is causing it, make sure that you stay properly hydrated, before, during, and after your workouts.