fitness or weight loss

Which goal, fitness or weight loss, is currently more important to you?

Replies

• sss1966
    sss1966 Posts: 110 Member
    I don't think I can differentiate between the two, they go hand in hand at the moment
  • opal24
    opal24 Posts: 205 Member
    Because fitness is problematic for me (I have some medical conditions that make regular exercise difficult), the most important thing for me is actually improved health - and it's weight loss that's continuing to drive that.
  • dfquigley
    dfquigley Posts: 186
    Well, my definition of "fitness" isn't just cycling or running performance, it's about reducing risk factors for health issues.

I'd much rather be HEALTHY then just weigh less.

That being said, they do tend to go hand in hand. How much I weigh though comes secondary to actual health and fitness goals.
  • The number on the scale is pretty much secondary to me at this point. Eighteen months and 70 pounds ago was a completely different story.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Fitness. I started because of health issues. Diabetes, high cholesterol, blood pressure. The weight loss goes hand in hand but I don't get discouraged because of what the number on the scale says.
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Fitness. I want anyone to be able to suggest anything a marathon, hike, game of soccer etc and be able to say yes without wondering if I will let anyone down or if I could finish. I don't want to be limited in what I do or get invited to. I will be the fun fit friend
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    fitness. when i'm fit i'm at a better weight anyway. but i miss my muscles so fitness, tone etc are my goal
  • I would have to say fitness. My main goal is FEELING better, and I think that's more connected to fitness level than lbs on the scale. Losing the lbs is just a very pleasant side effect :)
  • aalpass
    aalpass Posts: 124 Member
    Neither. Health AND Energy!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Both.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Good question. I find that I choose health. Every decision I make about diet and lifting - is based in my number one desire to be healthy. When you focus on that - everything else will fall into place.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Health without a doubt. But I am at an unhealthy weight, so to "be" healthy I have to lose weight.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Both. I have certain fitness goals I want to achieve (my first half marathon), but I know I won't be at my best possible fitness level unlesss I lose some lbs of fat. Goal is to keep/build more muscle, lose fat, and reach fitness goals.