sore hips from running

Options
Hi...I have been running 4-5 km, 2-4 times a week for the last 3 months. Early on I noticed my left hip was quite sore but after day it was ok and not too bad while running....however as I have increased my speed my hip has been bothering me a lot more unitl i could barely walk after my last 5 km run (which i did in 25 mins my best time!) So I'm taking a break and having some physio but a week later it is still sore as soon as I try fast walking or jogging. Such a pain as don't want to hve to stop my aerobic exercise!! Any ideas/ advice as to what this is and what I can do about it?? I would be very greatful thank you!

Replies

• AnjaZ89
    AnjaZ89 Posts: 235
    Options
    I had a similar issue with my right hip.
    Got different shoes and added a bit more stretching after my runs and it went away!
    Godd luck ;)
  • Snipsa
    Snipsa Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Definitely check your shoes. Did you get them fit at a running store?

Also check your ITB and TFL, make sure to stretch them very well after each run, they are very often the culprits in hip pain with running.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    in addition to what others have posted, are you running on a track? that can happen when you run laps in the same direction. i recently started running on my gym's indorr track and notice a lot more sore hips
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Are you running on a beveled surface?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Sounds like ITBS (iliotibial band syndrome) to me. There's some really basic stretches you can do and/or foam roll it out. From now on, do them preventatively.
  • 141by2016
    141by2016 Posts: 179
    Options
    See a DO for a structural evaluation. I have a short leg, and until I got a shim would get hip pain every time I would run. Get checked out.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Get it checked out. I did what you are doing, trying to run through the pain in the hopes that it will go away, I got such a bad case of bursitis in my hip that it knocked me out of running for a year. Learn from my stupidity and get it checked. Btw, mine got so bad that it started to hurt just to walk.
  • GitFitEsther
    GitFitEsther Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks so much for all the advice!! I am quite new to this and def dont want it to turn into a long term problem!! will go get checked properly and make sure its ok before start running again. Thanks again! Glad its not just my old body! Have had a bit of a complex about that since turning 30 last year!!
  • GitFitEsther
    Options
    wow yeah that would be horrible!! I have noticed mine even hurts when I walk with any speed. Will def get properly checked. Thanks!
  • GitFitEsther
    Options
    wow yeah that would be horrible!! I have noticed mine even hurts when I walk with any speed. Will def get properly checked. Thanks!
  • GitFitEsther
    Options
    and sorry about all the comments,,,,,,still trying to figure out how to use this thing....and it doen't seem to let me delete posts once made!! so yes I think I will take a break from running while I sort it out, and try something different for aerobic exercise....maybe skipping. I hear thats a great one for fitness!:)