Blisters on the feet from walking - HELP!

Options
I started walking on the treadmill and now have painful blisters on the ball of my foot near my big toes and starting up the big toes on the bottom now. I would like to get 3-4 days of walking on the treadmill in but the blisters keep getting larger. I have tried using mole skin over the blisters but this is not working. The area would be hard to tape I would think. I have tried thin socks, thick socks, tightening up the laces on my shoes and still no luck. Do I continue to exercise while having the blisters? Does anyone have suggestions? This has happened in the past when I have taken up walking the treadmill and has eventually stopped me from walking it at all. I tried different shoes and what I thought was comfortable and the fit was right, it would give me blisters back in the gym. Continuing to buy new shoes just to see if they will make me free of blisters does not work with my pocket book. I don't want to stop this time.

Replies

• amills1152
    amills1152 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Holy cow - SAME PROBLEM, same blisters, same area! I read an article about it on runnersworld.com you might be interested in as far as healing them quickly goes (it's actually in the 'barefoot runners' portion of their forum), so hopefully that can help a bit, however, as far as keeping them from popping up over and over again, I dunno, hopefully someone here can shed some insight? Best of luck, keep your chin (and your feet) up, lol!
  • amills1152
    amills1152 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    oops, forgot to drop the link to the blister-healing post! http://forums.runnersworld.com/forums/runner-communities/barefoot-running/curing-blisters
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Get shoes that fit

/thread
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Get shoes that fit

/thread

Yeah. I know it might not fit in your budget, but getting a pair that actually fits your foot and is proper for your gait is going to be key.
  • jrittel21
    jrittel21 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I went and was fitted for shoes and I have to say so far no blisters! Sore though in other areas due to uneven gait for so long but I am sure I will work through this as well. Also picked up some body glide just incase the blisters start again. Thanks for the replies!!
  • kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Keep at it and those blisters will turn into callouses. Eventually your feet will toughen up.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Get shoes that fit

/thread

this.

wear appropriate attire for your activities, if not then face the friction
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Get fit for the proper shoes and avoid cotton socks.
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I thought I was wearing the right shoes. I visited the podiatrist and found out I was wearing the wrong size and the wrong brand for my narrow feet. I have never had trouble with my feet since.
  • hulkweazel
    hulkweazel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You probably either have the wrong size shoes or you're wearing cotton socks.
  • PipBnz
    PipBnz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    thorlos make awesome anti friction socks that helped me when i started walking long distance, pricey i havn't had a blister since :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    the biggest loser site has some reccomendations for their guests who pay to go there (not the tv contestants)...try checking their website, if i remember correctly i think it's doubling up on socks or something. i guess they do a lot of hiking as part of their program so blisters are a thing.
  • justagirlgeek
    justagirlgeek Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Definitely splurge a bit and buy one or two pairs of technical running socks.
    Cotton socks are the worst thing you can wear on your feet if you're doing a lot of walking. :)