how much exercise do you do?

Options
I'm just a few lbs off my target weight and to lose only half lb/week I have only got a 1200 calorie allowance :(
There is no way I could manage to eat that little amount, I love my food and am always hungry!! So I exercise alot and eat all those calories back, but I need to burn at least 1000 cals/day to be able to eat what I want to eat! Thats about 3 hours exercise a day for me, I do a mixture of walking, running, 30 day shred dvd, and mostly cycling on stationary bike. I don't know if I might be over exercising, but I get in a panic on days I can't exercise so much because I won't be able to eat enough!! Anyone else in this sort of situation?

Replies

• dfquigley
    dfquigley Posts: 186
    Options
    I generally do at least 2 hours a day myself. It can get difficult at times if you're doing high intensity work to change it up enough, and you definitely run the risk of over training.

My caloric allowance right now is 1,220 myself as a 170 lb male trying to lose some more weight :p

I generally consume 2500-3000 calories a day total, so lots of exercise :p

I'm also training for an iron distance triathlon, so it helps :p
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I'm just a few lbs off my target weight and to lose only half lb/week I have only got a 1200 calorie allowance :(
    There is no way I could manage to eat that little amount, I love my food and am always hungry!!

If you read through the forums, there is something you calculate TDEE or something like that and it'll give you your daily calorie allowance. It may be that yours is set too low. I must confess that I don't understand most of it :smile:
  • pagoubupa
    pagoubupa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My calorie allowance is 1480 a day. I also eat more than that; I usally eat about 1700 or more a day. I also have to exercise so I can eat normally. My weight is 270, down from 356. I have 115 pounds left to lose. I exercise at least 30 to 40 minutes a day (more if I can).
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Just curious...how do you guys fit in 2-3 hours a day? I can do that on the weekends, but not during the week. I'm lucky to fit in an hour a day during the week.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    It would be healthier to incorporate some weight training so you are burning calories at rest. Cardio doesn't do that as well and I believe there is something called adrenal burnout that can happen from overdoing it all the time.

I am on 1650 calories right now with 3 days of weight training & treadmill, 2 days of spinning, 1 day of pilates. When I am at goal which is very close I think I can eat around 1900 more or less.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Well, I totally exercise to eat. As does my doctor. :-)

That being said, I don't have more than an hour and a half or so a day to devote to "just" exercising, so I try to do something really intense at the gym (like stairs and heavy lifting), plus use walking as transportation as often as possible. I also try to average my calorie intake over the whole week, instead of trying to keep on target daily. That lets me go haywire on Wednesday, then even things out through the weekend, or whatever.

So far that's working. I've lost a little over 30 pounds and have been maintaining since before Thanksgiving. :happy:
  • nanavickig
    nanavickig Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Since I got myself an exercise bike I find it easy to jump on it and do 20 mins at a time, it means I don't need to find 3 hours in 1 go to dedicate to exercise, I spread it through the day. I have started to incorporate some strength training into my routine with the 30 day shred, which I do on my non run days and I try to walk or cycle to keep the rest of my exercise lower impact to avoid overtraining and injury!! I am lucky in that I work part-time (I am a lollypop lady (school crossing patrol)), so I do have a fair bit of free time. My calorie allowance is correct, I would prefer to lose more than half lb/wk but that would take my allowance below 1200 which isn't allowed (and I would go crazy with hunger!!). I am training for a 10k race in March and want to get below my target weight (temporarily) if possible as it helps my running when I am lower weight!
  • allisondra23
    Options
    I do 45 minutes of stationary bike, 45 minutes of elliptical training, then another 20-45 minutes of weights/lifting every or every-other day (depending on my schedule). So far it's been great for fixing my softness but no so great for losing actual pounds on the scale. I've been stuck at around 142 for about a month or 2 (hoping to get to 125 but I don't know if that's realistic without being a soft body). I try and stick to 1300-1400 calories a day but sometimes I go over because my workout routine makes me feel like I'm starving to death. How do any of you not feel like death but still both workout and maintain a steady weight loss? I don't do well feeling starving, I get so grumpy!
  • WineMaiden
    Options
    I own an elliptical, kettle bell, light weights, and a weighted hoop. I have no excuse to not exercise. I am going to do my new kettlebell vid tomorrow. Next day elliptical. I would like to put in at least 10 to 15 min with the hoop almost daily. I want to exercise no less than 4 to 5 days a week. I have really gotten out of shape and used to work out a lot when I was younger.
  • ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I was doing almost 2 hours a day 6 days a week... usually an hour of cardio and about 45 minutes of heavy weight lifting, but it was getting a little taxing. So i'm starting a new program where it's 30 minutes of a cardio/strength circuit (burn about 300 calls) and then i take my dogs on a 30 minute walk (burn about 150-200cals).
    I eat about 1700 calories a day otherwise i'm a cranky b**ch. :laugh:

I should add that the 1700 calories that i consume is based on a little more than a 20% reduction from my TDEE to get me to 1.5lb loss per week.

If you can start lifting some heavy weights you'll get to your ultimate goal! You may or may not go up a few pounds but you'll look a lot smaller from adding some muscle!
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    im doing 30 day shred daily plus 2 50 minutes of banish fat boost metabolism and maybe another 20 min workout during the week.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a gym?
  • nanavickig
    nanavickig Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    are you eating back your exercise calories? I eat mine back, so although my net is 1200, i am actually eating about 2200+ cals/day, but I still feel hungry!! If I'm not busy i just want to eat, so the exercise helps keep me busy and alows me to eat more. If i had to stop exercising i dont know what i'd do!!
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    There is no way I could manage to eat that little amount, I love my food and am always hungry!!

If you read through the forums, there is something you calculate TDEE or something like that and it'll give you your daily calorie allowance. It may be that yours is set too low. I must confess that I don't understand most of it :smile:

Here is how you calculate TDEE

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12