Lost weight but feel fatter

Options
Hey, I have just started on my weight loss journey and have been exercising and eating much better. I have lost 2ibs ( not much yet I know), but I have never felt as big and lumpy. Anyone feel the same or know why this might be?

Replies

• kel8412
    kel8412 Posts: 35
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I was just telling my husband the same thing today. I have lost over 10 pounds, but I just feel like I am getting fatter :/ It is a bummer of a feeling :/ I am hoping that soon I will start to feel like I am getting smaller.
  • laurajade111
    Options
    Wow, 10 pound is amazing! You must feel it in clothes, no? I think it mud be because we are losing weight in some places faster which makes others look bigger!
  • findingmyfit
    Options
    Have you tried measuring yourself? Or maybe it's just something mental going on in your head that makes you think you're getting bigger. I'll look in the mirror or compare photos of myself and see the difference but then I'll psych myself out and be like ahhh I look bigger or I'll feel bigger.. and then I realize well.. I do know I've been losing inches in certain areas and notsomuch in others... I just keep telling myself to breathe and try not to worry so much and keep trying and keep allowing myself to LOSE..
  • teaspoon43
    teaspoon43 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! I have my days where I feel "thin" but mostly I feel bloated. I think it's because I'm drinking a lot more water and actually eating more since I'm eating lower calorie healthy foods. But, the scale keeps moving and I'm very energetic so I'll take this bloating feeling all the way to my goal weight :)
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Read this article by Lyle McDonald titled 'Of Whooshes and Squishy Fat'. Its the best thing out there I've found on the subject.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I am going through the same thing. I have lost more weight since october but I feel fatter in my face and hips. I have been told my a very honest friend in october that I had lost weight but recently that I have gained. I had to correct her that I am at least 6 pounds lighter than I was when in october :sad: . But I know what she means because I sometimes feel fatter despite losing weight.
  • allisondra23
    Options
    I feel the same way, I've lost about 15 lbs but I still wear the same size (unbelievable!) and feel even fatter even though I have more muscle than I ever have.
  • badmojo108
    Options
    Since September I have lost close to 60lbs, from 245 to to the 186 I am at currently. I've gone from a 40 inch waist to a 33 inch waist, I've gone from XL shirts being a bit snug to L shirts now being a bit too big on me. In spite of that though, truthfully when I look in a mirror I still feel like a fat guy, just as much as I did the day I decided to change things. A part of that I think is because, since I felt only felt "fat" (a little overweight) when I was morbidly obese, now that I am really just overweight I still feel the same way "fat" lol.

The big part of it, for me anyway, is because we see ourselves everyday. These changes happen so slowly we aren't going to see changes overnight, or even weekly, but we look for them everyday. I am reminded of a bit from a stand up routine where the comic jokes about his daughter sitting in her room staring at a mirror waiting for her breasts to grow. That's kinda what myself and I assume a lot of people who are dieting do. We wake up every day look in the mirror or look at the scale or both, hoping to finally see a big change. But the changes that happen daily are so small we'll never notice them, and at the same time by looking ever day, the little changes that add up to big changes have been happening over a long time so we don't see them either.

What works for me is find lots of measurable ways to track your progress. I take my body measurements, I track my lifting progress, my body fat, my clothing size, photos, and of course my weight. When I feel bummed about feeling like a "fat" guy, I just look at any one of these and I can see how far I have come. With so many ways to track my progress, if the scale doesn't move or even if it goes up I still have plenty of other ways to see myself making progress. While I still may feel like a "fat" guy I am not bummed about it, this isn't where I am going to be forever, I am just passing through. Seeing how far I have come is just proof that I can get to where I want to be.

Most importantly for me though is to, setup my plan for diet and exercise. Track my calories, do my workout then seriously forget all about weight loss and walk away. I trust my plan to work as long as I stick to it, so after logging my meal and doing my workout I move on and just live my life. I never feel "fat" when I am doing something I enjoy.