Tips for eating low cal in Las Vegas with no fridge?

Options
Hi, I've been to Vegas 4 times and never ate healthy or low cal - I was always too busy trying out all the restaurants.

This time I think I am over that, we are staying at the Flamingo and our room doesn't have a fridge (although I am taking a kettle) we will have a car so I can drive to the grocery and buy fruit - but my usual diet of bread with butter/ toast with butter/ milk/ cheese etc is going to be impossible.

I don't want hamburgers/ fries/ shakes/ steaks/ fried chicken again and I'm looking for ideas for my motel room so I can avoid eating out so much this time.

If you have any ideas I'd love to hear them :D

Thanks.

Replies

• cortrad
    cortrad Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Visit the local ABC store! The last one I went to had fresh fruit, sandwiches, yogurt, you name it! Also bring some almonds/seeds along, maybe some Popchips, Fiber One bars, protein shakes. This is all off the top of my head, but best of luck to you! Vegas is always one of my big downfalls, too.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Bring a cooler so you can keep stuff on ice.
  • misstofu
    Options
    Take a knife, cutting board, bowls, plates etc. with you so that you an easily chop some vege and fruit. Stock up on single serving sized salad dressings. Most hotels have a free ice machine so I would consider taking a cooler too!
    If you are on holiday, I would personally still eat out at restaurants. Sushi, salads (ask to have the dressing on a side, so you can control how much fat goes on the plate), stir-fried vegetable dishes (skip the rice) are all low calorie and easy to find. Treat yourself to frozen yoghurt or fresh fruit.

If you type in "healthy restaurants las vegas" you may also find some lovely places to eat out without going over your daily calorie goal.
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Wynn has great Vegan/vegetarian options.
    Whole Foods @ Town Square has their little cafe.
    Skip any buffets and ask for low Cal options.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    this is rough! incidentally i stayed at the flamingo last year and we stopped at wal-mart before we even went to the hotel to get food. you could get a disposable cooler and keep it filled with ice to chill anything you want chilled...won't be as good as a fridge but better than nothing. look for foods that don't require refrigeration too like apples and bananas. as for eating your "regular" foods you probably just need to accept that you won't be able to. avoid the buffets if you can and consider trying to only eat half your meal at the restaurant...take it back to the room, store it in your cooler, and have a little more later.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I went to vegas for my honeymoon last year, we got complimentary breakfast buffet vouchers for the whole week, and i ate everything i fancied... MMmmmmmm, peanut cookies for breakfast, yummy!!!!

i put on 1lb, becuase we walked and walked and walked and walked....
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    How long are you there for? If it's a short vacation perhaps you should in addition to watching what you are eating aim to "maintain" for the week (or whatever)

I am going to New Orleans in March and if I'm not already at my goal (so..... damn.... close...) and on maintenance anyway, I will be setting my goals to maintain for the week.

I will also not stress if I put back a pound or two I'll just keep on keeping on once I'm back and it will be a blip in the overall radar.

Plus... walking, lots and lots of walking...