C25k - repeating

Options
Hi,

I've just finished week 1 of c25k and I still feel as though I'm only just scraping the full minute of running (well, I say running....more like lurching along gasping for breath).

Do you think I ought to repeat week 1 or move on?

Also, while I'm asking, I've covered just over 2 miles on each of the days. Will this increase each week as I'm doing more running? If it does I'll need to find a new route!

Thanks.

Replies

• TiffanyAching
    TiffanyAching Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    yo. yes, i'd move on. when i did it there were a few weeks that i still felt like dying on day 3 but i always managed the next one. its a leap of faith. and yep, once you're running more than walking you will go a lot further. you'll be amazed in a couple of weeks the difference. the first week i used to count the seconds in my head :ohwell: because it was so fecking hard to make it to a minute. the first time i had to do 5 minutes it seemed insane. but in no time it turned into '5 more minutes? oh that's nothing'. if you start week 2 and really feel its too hard, then i'd repeat week 1, for a day at least, but you'll probably surprise yourself.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I coach a learn to run program, which is basically the same as C25K. Every week my runners tell me they can do the next week, every week they did it.
    I always suggest moving on first. If you really really find you can't do it, after trying, then repeat.
    Try slowing down as well. This program is about finishing the time, not speed.

And yes, as you go on, the distance will get longer.
  • EmmaR25
    EmmaR25 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Also s l o w your running part right down. So its barely faster than walk
  • misssmarita
    Options
    If you find that you really can't do it, after a hand-to-heart/honest-to-God effort, you could SLIGHTLY modify your c25k program. Reduce the running minutes, add a few more weeks, things like that. You might not see the same progress as if you'd stuck with your original plan, but slow and steady wins the race :)

GOOD LUCK!
  • Aletea
    Aletea Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I'll give w2 a shot tonight.

I can't really slow the running bits down or I'll start going backwards :/ Actually it hurts more going slower than I am than it does the speed I do - I think I must be right on my natural rhythm .