Garage vs Basement Gym

Options
I am trying to determine whether the garage or basement would be a better location for a home gym, so what are any pros and cons of having a gym in both places?

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Which is nearer and has a nicer environment? I ask simply because you want to reduce the number of excuses you'll be able to use to not train. If I put my stuff in my garage, I'd be further away from my PC/TV/landline, it's horribly cold in winter and horribly hot in summer.
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Which is nearer and has a nicer environment? I ask simply because you want to reduce the number of excuses you'll be able to use to not train. If I put my stuff in my garage, I'd be further away from my PC/TV/landline, it's horribly cold in winter and horribly hot in summer.

You know I thought about that one, since my basement is finish I already have a TV and the temp can be adjusted nicely, on the other hand the my garage also has capability for the tech bc it has a cable line for a TV and walls are insulated and finished. since I live in the Northeast we get both cold winters and hot summers
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

You know I thought about that one, since my basement is finish I already have a TV and the temp can be adjusted nicely, on the other hand the my garage also has capability for the tech bc it has a cable line for a TV and walls are insulated and finished. since I live in the Northeast we get both cold winters and hot summers

It'll probably cost more to cool the garage in summer and heat it in winter. I'm going with the basement. It's more like another room in the house and would probably stay cool in summer being underground.
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Niether my basement or garage is finished. My basement stays a comfortable mid 60's in the summer is around 58 in the winter. My garage swings from high 80's in the summer to at or below freezing in the winter. It was easy for me to decide on the basement. Besides the garage is for my car.

Your decision will not be so easy since both are finished and can be temperature controlled. Which one would intrude more into the space as you use it now?
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    My garage is my basement... and it's shared by all the other people in my apartment building. My gym is the great outdoors!
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Basement. Hands down.

I've never even heard of a gym being in a garage.

But I've always wanted a garage, living in a place with snow and FAR too many morning where I had to wake up extra early to spend 45 minutes clearing the snow off my truck before changing into my actual clothes for the day

And even if the summer when it's SUPER hot and you burn yourself on the seats. So strictly from a car standpoint, a garage seems silly to me.

As well as the temperature of a garage on a really cold or hot day.
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    We originally set up the gym in one of the rooms in the house but had to move the weights to the garage - mainly as there is more space to lift there, particularly higher ceilings so it might be worth factoring this in too.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    No need to heat the garage in the winter if you layer up and work-out hard. If people can run in the snow you can run in your garage :bigsmile:

I'd have said the garage, because you could open the door in the summer (or winter) and get some natural light and fresh air.

Don't see the need for a landline or cable TV. Just stick some music!

I am a great believer in exercising outdoors, the light and fresh-air make a huge difference to me.
  • weightloss12345678
    Options
    Niether my basement or garage is finished. My basement stays a comfortable mid 60's in the summer is around 58 in the winter. My garage swings from high 80's in the summer to at or below freezing in the winter. It was easy for me to decide on the basement. Besides the garage is for my car.

Your decision will not be so easy since both are finished and can be temperature controlled. Which one would intrude more into the space as you use it now?

my garage should be for two cars but instead i have random stuff stored in there. I plan to get a shield to remove that stuff. My garage is not longer temp controlled bc i sealed off the vents to be able to park cars
  • weightloss12345678
    Options
    Basement. Hands down.

I've never even heard of a gym being in a garage.

But I've always wanted a garage, living in a place with snow and FAR too many morning where I had to wake up extra early to spend 45 minutes clearing the snow off my truck before changing into my actual clothes for the day

And even if the summer when it's SUPER hot and you burn yourself on the seats. So strictly from a car standpoint, a garage seems silly to me.

As well as the temperature of a garage on a really cold or hot day.

good point
  • weightloss12345678
    Options
    We originally set up the gym in one of the rooms in the house but had to move the weights to the garage - mainly as there is more space to lift there, particularly higher ceilings so it might be worth factoring this in too.

Didnt really think about this one but I have 8ft+ ceilings in my basement so i should be good from that stand point.
  • weightloss12345678
    Options
    No need to heat the garage in the winter if you layer up and work-out hard. If people can run in the snow you can run in your garage :bigsmile:

I'd have said the garage, because you could open the door in the summer (or winter) and get some natural light and fresh air.

Don't see the need for a landline or cable TV. Just stick some music!

I am a great believer in exercising outdoors, the light and fresh-air make a huge difference to me.

I like to run outside also
  • allenhandley
    allenhandley Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Basement. If you are like most and use the garage for storage, that is what it will remain and stay a little "junked up". More motivation in a lining environment. JMHO.
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I have a basement garage under my house which is directly accessible from the living room via some stairs. It's mainly used as a gym and we have mirrors down there and a TV connected to satellite puts music etc. It's the perfect place for a gym. We don't park the car down there as there's no room! We also use it for storage and for washing and drying the laundry. The best thing is its cooler down there in summer.