soda=liquid candy

Options

Replies

• slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds while drinking lots and lots of diet coke. Last week I decided to cut out the diet coke and lost 4-1/2 pounds in 7 days. Not sure what it is since there are no calories, but it definitely helps you hold onto pounds. I won't be drinking it anymore.

Diet soda has sodium.

Not a significant amount.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds while drinking lots and lots of diet coke. Last week I decided to cut out the diet coke and lost 4-1/2 pounds in 7 days. Not sure what it is since there are no calories, but it definitely helps you hold onto pounds. I won't be drinking it anymore.

Diet soda has sodium.

Not a significant amount.

I'm not sure what "lots and lots" amounts to, but if you're drinking a few sodas a day then cut them out, keeping your diet the same, I would attribute SOME of the pounds lost to be water weight. Plus what ever fat was lost in the week of dieting as well. So, I don't think it's a stretch that 2 pounds could have been water and 2 pounds from fat.
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    good for you.
    I rarely have pop either. really only with drinks (of the alcoholic variety :P)

I rather have those calories in some chocolate instead :)
  • BrittanyNBuchanan
    BrittanyNBuchanan Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any advice on breaking the soda habit? I am super addicted to caffeine in any form, especially soda and energy drinks. I'm cutting back on my own, but I want to break the habit completely... Help!!
  • melt2svelte
    Options
    I agree! It IS like liquid candy. I try to avoid it at all costs. A few years ago, I started drinking 2-3 sodas a day. I gained nearly 20 lbs in a two month span. I ended up cutting it out completely after seeing photos of myself, and 20 lbs and then some fell off in about 5 months without any other changes to my diet. It seriously makes me inflate!

I do have the occasional Diet Pepsi, but the more I have the more I want, so I try to avoid it... :/
  • jshot278
    jshot278 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes, soda is high in sodium (someone posted that). I also read somewhere that the artificial sweetners can actually increase your
    appetite. If you need to drink it, it would be best to limit the amount.
    Congrats to you for being able to overcome that habit. I hear it's so hard for some.
  • melt2svelte
    Options
    Does anyone have any advice on breaking the soda habit? I am super addicted to caffeine in any form, especially soda and energy drinks. I'm cutting back on my own, but I want to break the habit completely... Help!!

Coffee and tea for the caffeine. Carbonated flavored water for the fizzy fix.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    So there are no chemicals in regular soda?

I'll take full flavored aspartame with zero calories because I like it. Mmmmm

I'm sure there are more chemicals in your every day life that you are inhaling/putting on your skin then in a single can of diet soda. I'll take my chances.

This ^^ I refuse to cut out my pleasures, especially since diet coke is zero cal.
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I cut out soda last February and have never looked back. At this point I don't miss the soda at all. Sometimes I do however miss Root Beer Floats. MMM.... Root Beer Floats.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I treat soda like candy, which is really what it is. It is liquid candy.

I got rid of the mentality that I needed to have a soda with every meal. I don't eat a snicker's bar with every meal, so why should I drink a coke or other soda with every meal.

I have a candy bar once every great while. Now I only have a soda once every great while as well.

(I know there are no calories in diet soda, but there are so many other chemicals and GMO crap in them that I decided to blanket all soda, diet and full strength, as candy.)
    What ingredient(s) of which diet soda(s) is/are from GMO sources?
  • tiffanysmummy
    Options
    Yes, soda is high in sodium (someone posted that). I also read somewhere that the artificial sweetners can actually increase your
    appetite. If you need to drink it, it would be best to limit the amount.
    Congrats to you for being able to overcome that habit. I hear it's so hard for some.

Diet soda increases your appetite as when you drink it you create an insulin response in your body. Your body then feels hungry as you promised it fuel and it produced insulin ready to convert that fuel to glucose (simple explanation). Until you get your insulin levels back where they should be, you will remain hungry.

I just drink water and coffee these days. On a special occasion I may have a soda but usually am just as happy with water.
  • Msdirection
    Msdirection Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm really lucky - as a kid I never got the taste for soft drinks, so now as an adult I really don't miss them. I get weird looks when I go out for lunch and only drink water, but at least it's one less way for sugar to get into my system! I'll save my calories for chocolate instead ^_^
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Diet soda increases your appetite as when you drink it you create an insulin response in your body. Your body then feels hungry as you promised it fuel and it produced insulin ready to convert that fuel to glucose (simple explanation). Until you get your insulin levels back where they should be, you will remain hungry.
    Nuh uh.
  • BrittanyNBuchanan
    BrittanyNBuchanan Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm trying tea and caffeine pills, but the sugar gets to me. I like my tea sweet and lemony.
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    This year along with back on a diet i went off all pop, i do however use 12 oz a week to make the diet cake(which i have 1slice, the rest of the cake i share with my coworkers). EVERYONE has there own preferences in what they should do, what they heard, what they have read. I think it's great you found something that works for you. Keep up the good work:happy:
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    That's not a fair comparison. One 12 oz. coke has TWICE as much sugar as one cadbury creme egg! :laugh:

Oh, and the anti-GMO bull**** is the climate change denial of the left.
  • slap1225
    slap1225 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I am just waiting for them to make calorie free liquid chips and salsa or fries im not too picky.... at that point life would be perfect and I would have no more fattening addictions.
  • tweetz78
    Options
    i was told its the sodium and makes u retain water. i still drink it more for caffiene purposes at work since i work 3rd shift and drinkable coffee isnt available in the warehouse. but im happy you all found what is working for you
  • tweetz78
    Options
    Nuh uh.
    for me i get more hungry when not drinking it but then again everybodys body reacts different t different things
  • XDiet_SlayerX
    Options
    I treat soda like candy, which is really what it is. It is liquid candy.

I got rid of the mentality that I needed to have a soda with every meal. I don't eat a snicker's bar with every meal, so why should I drink a coke or other soda with every meal.

I have a candy bar once every great while. Now I only have a soda once every great while as well.

(I know there are no calories in diet soda, but there are so many other chemicals and GMO crap in them that I decided to blanket all soda, diet and full strength, as candy.)
    I highly agree!