CHIA BRAN - What to do with it!?!?!

Options
Hey guys,

So I recently purchased chia bran from an organic shop.

I tried a bit of it in my protein shake this morning and am not a huge fan of it.

I was wondering what else I could do with it? Any suggestions? Perhaps I could cook it with oats? or make some sort of muffins?

Google isn't being too helpful!!

Replies

• splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    bumpity bump bump bump
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I only know chia seeds and they don't have flavor, and I read chia bran is just the oil pressed from the seed so I'd assume it wouldn't have that much flavor either, is it the texture u don't like?
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    Yeah the texture and the flavour. Although maybe the flavour did have something to do with the extra unsweetened almond milk I put in it....
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not sure I'd search around google but I'm sure u can add it to just about anything and not notice its there. Muffins spaghetti etc
  • alanabeehave
    Options
    You can use it as an egg substitute in bake goods, 1tbs chia + 2-3 tbs of warm water, let it sit until it gelatinates... It's very, very good for you, it contains over 25 vitamins and minerals :)
  • pagonapenelope
    pagonapenelope Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know that this is an old post, but I have been very interested in chia bran lately so wanted to respond.... here is one recipe for chia bran muffins which may be customized as blueberry, chocolate, etc.

http://www.koraorganics.com/blog/live-in-my-skin/all-things-organic/organic-certification/gluten-free-chia-bran-muffins/

Also, here is a recipe for chia bran blueberry pancakes:

http://www.mindbodyweightlosssummit.com/blueberry-pancakes-weight-loss/

I have not tried either as I have yet to get my hands on chia bran - but am looking forward to trying these!

Let me know if you try them and how it works out - it would be great to hear about.

Good Luck!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    So it's like peanut flour but gritty and flavourless? Yum.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    So it's like peanut flour but gritty and flavourless? Yum.
    Heh heh.
  • LiveTheLifeYouWillLove
    Options
    I would make a granola bar and add the chia seeds in the mix.
  • cjvvus
    cjvvus Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the bran but I put the chia seeds in nut butter and eat with apples, celery. And when I make my fiber and protein cookies I put them in the dough, also in granola and yogurt
  • pagonapenelope
    pagonapenelope Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's also packed with protein, fiber and good omega's (the good omega's are significantly reduced if you cook it).