Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Help...

Ok long story short, did the dukan diet and lost almost 10 kgs, found I couldn't continue that practically with my job/life
etc, gained about 2kg back, and now am trying to lose again. I am trying the whole tdee -20% approach, giving me 1630 to have each day. I was eating 1200 per day then upped it to 1400 then to 1500 and all that's happening is i am gaining! Therefore i am really worried about upping it to a further 1600 and i don't want to gain more! I'm 23 and have about 8kg to lose. Any advice?

Sorry if you've heard it all before, constructive comments please :-)

Replies

• Anyone got any advice??
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    How long have you been doing this? There can be an initial weight gain when you first go up but it does start to come off.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    How long have you been increasing your calories?
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    That was happening to me so I'm only eating 1200
  • CLWN80
    CLWN80 Posts: 3 Member
    I just upped my calories too... I'm aiming for 1350 and eating back at least 50% of my exercise calories. It makes me really nervous, but I'm going to try it for two weeks to see what happens. Maybe just be patient? Good luck!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I just upped my calories too... I'm aiming for 1350 and eating back at least 50% of my exercise calories. It makes me really nervous, but I'm going to try it for two weeks to see what happens. Maybe just be patient? Good luck!

Give it at least a month.

Initially you'll gain some water weight, but then you'll start losing again. You just have to trust that if you're weighing and measuring accurately you are not gaining fat on that amount.
  • I upped the calories about 6 weeks ago and haven't lost any.
  • Since I can't see your food diary....

Could it have to do with the Quality or your calories? ... maybe add more veggies, less carbs. More protein, less fats? again hard to say without seeing your diary.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    How accurate are you with all this? Also if just starting back with it and and workouts might cause water retention. Give it time.
  • I try to apply the principles of the dukan diet but with fruit and veg so yeah I try to keep high proteins and low fats. But I guess I'll just give it more time. And try to up my water intake too.

Thanks all for the replies.
  • emmgetsfit
    emmgetsfit Posts: 203 Member
    OP, my best guess is that you were eating below your BMR and your body's metabolism slowed to store the calories you consumed, what everyone calls "starvation mode". You're now increasing your caloric intake, which is fantastic, but your body is still hoarding calories. After a while it will realize you're feeding your body the calories it needs to survive, your metabolism will speed up, and the lbs will come off. On top of that if you're increasing water consumption, and you exercise, your fatigued muscles will store water, which they need to repair themselves. That's normal, and healthy, and will balance in time too.

Hope that helps!