Low calorie mashed potato desserts?

animemoon5
animemoon5 Posts: 55 Member
I am looking for ways to make use of mashed potatoes as a base for a dessert, be it candy cookie or cake... hoping to find something lower in calories, and avoiding the use of white flour...... (I still like simple ingredients and can't get used to the typical "health" desserts using things like wheat germ and flax seeds)

I have heard of potato candy, but averaging at 1/2 cup potato to 5 cups powdered sugar, well I don't think that's going to help my weight loss any.... I have also found one mashed potato cookie recipe , that uses 1 cup mashed potatoes, and 2 cups flour, but I was hoping to avoid the flour a bit more than that...

I'm definitely not a cook, and I'm still learning quite a bit, (lol I'm trying to graduate from ramen and tv dinners) so I don't even have a clue on where to begin... any ideas?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    If you're looking for low cal, and you're avoiding white flour (why exactly?) I'm not sure that mashed potato is going to be that much of an improvement.

The healthiest dessert is probably a piece of fruit!
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Avoid white flour by using whole wheat. (There is also something called "white whole wheat" which is real whole wheat but tastes less wheat-y.) I use whole wheat flour in all my baking (which I haven't done much of since I joined) and it adds a slight nutty flavor to baked goods and more fiber and nutrition of course.

If you want to use a potato for dessert, use sweet potato. Less bad stuff, way more good stuff, and BONUS, it's SWEET.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    I don't know anything about using potatoes for desserts but I have tried many of the recipes posted on this site. A box of Duncan Hines carrot cake mixed with a diet coke, or Angel Food cake mixed with a can of pineapple tidbits, or 1 cup rolled oats mixed with 2 mashed bananas for oatmeal cookies, or the grated cauliflour for pizza crust, or the mashed bananas and egg for pancakes. So far I have enjoyed them all. A dollop of cool whip makes an excellent low cal topping.
  • dferrara
    dferrara Posts: 6 Member
    http://www.potatoes.com/files/9313/4885/1811/That_Guy_Who_Ate_All_THe_Potatoes_Cookbook.pdf

A man ate nothing but potatoes for a long time to prove how healthy they are. Above is the link with the recipes he ate during that time... I think you will find a few you like!
  • Sounds like you're a sweet tooth like me. http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/ she has all of the best low calorie desserts! also, she used interesting vegetables/beans instead of flour in some of her desserts. Her cookie pie (? I think that's what it's called) used mashed garbanzo beans instead of flour! xx
  • animemoon5
    animemoon5 Posts: 55 Member
    If you're looking for low cal, and you're avoiding white flour (why exactly?) I'm not sure that mashed potato is going to be that much of an improvement.

The healthiest dessert is probably a piece of fruit!

White flour is stripped of it's nutrients, and is heavily refined... When you eat bread or desserts made with white flour, it's much more quickly digested, and very quickly raises your blood sugar levels, not to mention, your body has to do something with it when it digests so easily, it has to very quickly burn them off, or store them as fat.... potatoes have a bit more nutrients in them, and digest a little bit slower , and 100 cals of potato is a lot better than 100 cals of white flour...

I've recently been using mashed potato to add to certain dishes that normally use flour, as a way to stretch out the calories, and it's really helped out so far, after recently realizing I could add potatoes to mac n' cheese, I was wondering if there was a way to stretch out desserts in the same way.....

Yes fruit is always the healthier choice.... I confess I don't like any fruit whatsoever =\ This is bad I know, but it can't be helped for now, so I'm trying to find non-fruit desserts I can have , or ways to fix things up a bit to become more healthier......

@Trilby ~ I use whole wheat flour when I can, though for some desserts the whole wheat texture can sometimes mess things up a bit, I haven't heard of white whole wheat, I'll look into that! thank you =)

@barbosa ~ Thank you for the ideas! I'll look around the forums more and check out some recipes... I haven't done much of that yet, thank you =)

@dferrara ~ Yes I've heard of that guy! I had been under the impression carbs = bad and hearing his story made me take another look into potatoes, (Because honestly, i just flat out love my 'tatoes and would hate to cut them out!) and realize they were a lot healthier than I thought! At least not deep-fried into fries or slathered in butter lol...

@proud ~ Thanks for the link! Garbanzo beans instead of flour?! Wow, I think I'll have to give that a try! Thank you =)