What's TDEE?

Options
I keep seeing this in lots of posts on this site and have no idea what it means... Would someone be able to explain it to me please? Excuse my ignorance!

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It's the total number of calories you burn on an average day including exercise. When people say calories in versus calories out, TDEE is the "calories out."
  • salhold80
    Options
    Oh I see, so it's just another way of the BMR calculator that I've already used.
    Thank you so much x
  • nolefan9399
    Options
    BRM and TDEE are different.
  • salhold80
    Options
    So BRM would just be your bodies resting rate and TDEE is the extra exercise you do??
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    BMR is the number of calories your body would be feed if you were in a coma. You should NEVER net below this figure for healthy loss.

TDEE is the number of calories which equals

Your BMR
    + your normal daily activity
    + your exercise.

Deficit is recommended no more than 20% deduction from your TDEE and ensure that the result is at least your BMR and not below it.
  • jmariscal3
    jmariscal3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am eating between my BMR and TDEE to get enough calories in, but when I work out and burn calories should I be eating those calories back? MFP gives them back to me.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I am eating between my BMR and TDEE to get enough calories in, but when I work out and burn calories should I be eating those calories back? MFP gives them back to me.

Ideally you should eat at a maximum deficit of -20% of your TDEE, so long as that is above your BMR.

What you need to consider is -

did you work out your TDEE INCLUDING your exercise - then NO you don't need to eat back the calories because they have already been taken into account.

did you work out your TDEE NOT INCLUDING your exercise - then YES you do not to eat back the calories because they haven't yet been taken into account. Your NET calories need to be over your BMR.
  • jmariscal3
    jmariscal3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply! I did include my exercise so I will go with as long as the daily cals are over the BMR and under TDEE I should be good. :)