JM Body Revolution vs. Insanity

Options
Sheri869
Sheri869 Posts: 1,195 Member
I've been wanting to try a "Program" to actually see what results I might achieve over a specific programs period of time and specifications - and was looking at both of these....

I have a couple of Shaun T's other workouts and I Really Like Him but Insanity looks rather Brutal....

I am Not a fan of Jillian on the BL BUT I Know she commands results and her Body Revolution looks like it might be a great program if I can get past her (though I've heard she's not as bad on her DVD's)

I am looking for something to push me...but not looking to die! I haven't done anything this "boot campish" looking as either of those but do kickboxing, weights and zumba on a regular basis. P90X looks far to brutal for me.....so I'm actually looking for any opinions on the above if you might be at a similar fitness level as I am (guys and gals). As I said I do kickboxing, minor weights, zumba and swim farely regularly (though NOT every day)....I'm about 25 lbs overweight and have been for a couple years....thus wanting to try something new...I am also 43 years old...so not looking for something thats geared for 21 year olds but I CAN put out a pretty good workout I think ;-)

If anyone has done both Body Rev and Insanity and can compare the 2 or if you just have an opinion about your experience with either VS. other stuff you've done....and if anyone has done Insanity and P90X - how they compare??...because if Insanity is similar than that would be a definite step beyond where I'm capable at this time.

Thanks for your help! Just trying to make a somewhat informed decision before deciding and purchasing and I'd love some comparisons for those that have "done" them.

Replies

• toniamichelle
    toniamichelle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have not done Insanity, but my husband and I are doing Les Mills Combat right now, and it is INTENSE with some Insanity like components in a few of the workouts. It is my favorite workout to date! Maybe check that out?
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I tried Insanity. Ended up returning it after a couple of weeks because it just wasn't my thing. Too much bouncing and leaping for my taste (and knees).

I used Body Revolution as preparation for P90X. Without BR, I'm certain I would not have been able to meet the minimum recommended fitness levels to start P90X. They're similar in the type style of workout, but BR is much less intense. Jillian's banter can get annoying, but I have yet to find any workout that doesn't get old after a while.

I think they're all great programs. I'm in my last week of round 1 of P90X now and plan to just right into round 2 next week. I don't hesitate to recommend BR to my friends as a starting point.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I have done both. They are different programs. Body Revolution is tough but it is easier to adjust to your current abilities by adjusting to the weight you use. Insanity is just tough. I am pretty sure I will never be able to do one of the different push-us in his videos.

If time is an issue JMBR may be. Better fit. The videos are around 30 minutes whereas some of the Insanity get close to an hour.

Have you looked into Chalean Extreme?
  • ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I tried Insanity and it was too tough for my current state. I am starting JMBR using heavier weights for some exercises (adjustable dumbbells) today with 30 minutes of walking my dogs added to each day.

I'm also eating around 1600-1700 calories not the 1200 she recommends, i wouldn't be able to function on that :laugh:
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I have done both and don't think they are good to compare. JM wants you eating around 1200 calories a day and to be honest her workouts were pretty simple so I got minimal results. Insanity on the other hand is hard and brutal, but you get to eat more than a bird and your body will tone up in ways you never imagined. I vote insanity, but that's only if you have the mental will power to keep pushing play!
  • Sheri869
    Sheri869 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I REALLY appreciate the input! Its been Very Helpful!! And I will also check out the other ideas some of you have give me - and if anyone else reads this - still would love input - one of you also mentioned Chalene Extreme - I had her Turbo Jam and really enjoy doing it...so I will check that out too!

Thanks So Much! This site is always full of the most wonderful helpful people! :flowerforyou:
  • lifeisahighway
    lifeisahighway Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I did Body Revolution and lost 23 pounds. I'm doing it again now! I'm about 2/3 of the way through the second time. I LOVE it. It is short and I feel it working, it gets results. There are lots of modifications for exercises to make them easier OR harder if you need to. Here are my before and afters http://cardioandkids.blogspot.com/2012/07/done-with-jillian-michaels-body.html

I started Insanity after I finished Body Revolution the first time. I did 2 weeks and just stopped. I wasn't excited about working out when I was doing Insanity. It made me lose interest. I really do want to complete it though so I plan on trying it again in a few months.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Firstly I think JM is much better on her DVDs than on the BL. However I didn't like BR asvtherevwas too much balancing exercises for me. How about Chalean Extreme (mainly strength) or Turbofire (mainly cardio) or even a hybrid of the two.

I watched a few of the Insanity DVDs but they weren't for me. Happy to push myself but not to that extreme.

Have you looked at clips of them on YouTube to get an idea.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing my 3rd week of Insanity. It's hard as heck but I love it - because it works. You get sore, but you get strong. You get tired, but you build your endurance. You can go at your own pace so it's ok if you can't get through the whole workout or have to take frequent breaks - breaks are actually encouraged when you need them.
    After I get through this first round I plan on doing it again because I want to get through the workouts better.