How did fitness change you?

Options
This can be for anyone including people who just started or are experienced that have been working out for years.
I would like to share with you that before fitness was introduced into my life I was a fat kid with horrible anger problems relating to society because I felt rejected most of the time. I had counseling and anxiety problems.
After I started on my journey to transforming myself I never felt better. I felt at one with the body and the world. As of now I have introduced yoga into my life and it is starting to fine tune my body and spirit. I'm not trying to push any new age stuff on anyone this is just my opinion and experience so far.
So how did fitness change you? What were you like before? Present?

Replies

• Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I've started to accept myself for who I am. I love the changes I see and it keeps making me want more so that I can see just how far I can go! I've met some amazing people along the way which helps as well!!
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Before getting into running, I was a lot heavier, a big drinker, a smoker, an insomniac and heavily dependent on energy drinks.

Running motivated me to kick the nicotine (with the help of patches - wasn't up to cold turkey!) Then once my taste buds sharpened up, I ditched the energy drinks as they taste flipping awful! As I took my training more seriously, the big nights out binge drinking started to fall by the wayside. Ever done an 8mile hill run with a gut-wrenching hangover?! Never again!

The insomnia has now mostly gone, unless my mind is churning something over and I still have a lot of weight to lose but I'm still a million miles away from where I was! The whole process wasn't overnight either, it's been 6 years since I quit smoking and I still have improvements to make.
  • XDiet_SlayerX
    Options
    Amazing jobs so far guys. I'm looking forward to reading more life changing stories.
  • jillsjourney
    jillsjourney Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I realized that I am stronger than I thought I was. I realized that I am in charge of my life and I CAN do this. It may take me longer than others but I am releasing myself from the "whipped dog syndrome" as my husband calls it. He has always believed in me and told me I am smart and strong and beautiful. I just never believed for myself. I have found that yes, I am strong and worth the effort to do this for myself.
  • 4mydogs
    4mydogs Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I had colon surgery Sept 4, 2012, after the surgery I was weak, tired and scared, scared straight! Oct 9 2012 I started with my personal trainer 3/x week for an hour each session, it was slow going at first but almost 4 months later I can kick some serious a**. I still have a long way to go but now I know I can do things I never thought before. I am so grateful I made the choice to get healthy and for me so glad to have someone push me farther than I ever thought I could go. Also my dog is super happy since she now gets a great long walk each day of the week no matter what!
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    its made me stronger, my heart stronger, boosted my self esteem and i can comfortably run 4 miles without my heart feeling like its gonna come out my throat. im slowly but surely getting my pre-preggers body back. and it feels PRETTY DAM GOOD!
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've always been active but have kicked it up a notch over the last 2 years. It started when I took up sprint triathlons (at age 55!) and started working out a little longer and harder because I wanted to finish without collapsing somewhere in the middle of it! I found I liked that distance (1/3 mile swim, 9 miles on the bike, 3K walk/run). It's a good workout, pushing my limits, but I don't feel like I'm gonna die at the end of it. My typical workout is close to an hour. I started 5:2 fasting a couple of years ago and am thinner than I've been in 20 years. I'm bringing old but classic, well-made clothes out from the back of the closet because now they fit!

Other happy side effects: I turn 60 next week, I'm not on any prescriptions. I donated blood yesterday and my BP was 91/55. I get hot flashes but they're generally mild enough to ignore. (To the men: sorry if that's TMI. :blushing: ) I got a new job last year and I'm sure it helped that I carry myself with the energy of a 30-year old and told them how many events I could do in the local corporate athletic competition.

I try to stay humble. I know it's partly good genes and the grace of God- but the healthy eating and good workouts are well worth it.
  • AntoinetteSchmitz
    Options
    Fitness has changed me a lot. I started exercising in my 20's and didn't stop until I was 40. I got busy at work and neglected myself. I've recently started again and I feel so much better about myself. Bodies are meant to move and my body feels old when I don't use it. I have never been heavy, but now that I'm in my 40's, I continue to gain fat if I don't. Losing fat and gaining muscle make you feel so much better about yourself, even if the scale doesn't change all that much. Fitness also helps me to smoke only occasionally, which is so much better for me.
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Never in a million years would I have ever thought that I'd die if I didn't get my exercise in for the day! Those were foreign words for me. Now I exercise daily for fear that I'll take 2 steps back.
  • AntoinetteSchmitz
    Options
    Elsie-I'm so glad your husband helps to make you feel good about yourself. You deserve that and your story is very inspiring. Keep up the great work!
  • LoveasaurusRex
    LoveasaurusRex Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Its really helped me see what I actually want out of life and the people in my life.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    This is all in my profile, but in high school & college I was a runner (and a healthy weight). While in college, I survived a brutal assault during which I was held captive, tortured and raped. After the wounds healed, I attempted to start running again, but was stricken with shin splints. Shin splints aren't debilitating, but at the time, I barely had the emotional strength to do things that were working, and running became part of the very long list of things my attacker "took" from me.

Nearly 20 years (and 95lbs) later, one of my dogs took off in a sprint after a squirrel, and I sprinted right along with him. After I realized I wasn't having a heart attack, I realized just how much I missed running and had the ah ha moment that started all of this for me. I finally realized that my attacker hadn't "taken" running from me, I'd let him keep it.

I started a c25k-esque program the next day and have been running since. It is the first time since the assault that I have "taken" something back just because I wanted to-not because I "had" to. It was a huge turning point for me and completely changed my outlook on health and fitness, and has finally allowed me to take my life back. I no longer feel like I'm struggling to get out from under the assault, like it will control me forever. I am now in control of my life and how I live it and what's in it.

On a day to day basis though, running keeps me calm, controls my anxiety/PTSD, and allows me to eat enough food (including some crap) that I totally feel like I can maintain this lifestyle forever (and not become morbidly obese again).
  • Athena53
    Options
    Now I exercise daily for fear that I'll take 2 steps back.

For me, it's also the extra calories I can enjoy!
  • jillsjourney
    jillsjourney Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    This is all in my profile, but in high school & college I was a runner (and a healthy weight). While in college, I survived a brutal assault during which I was held captive, tortured and raped. After the wounds healed, I attempted to start running again, but was stricken with shin splints. Shin splints aren't debilitating, but at the time, I barely had the emotional strength to do things that were working, and running became part of the very long list of things my attacker "took" from me.

Nearly 20 years (and 95lbs) later, one of my dogs took off in a sprint after a squirrel, and I sprinted right along with him. After I realized I wasn't having a heart attack, I realized just how much I missed running and had the ah ha moment that started all of this for me. I finally realized that my attacker hadn't "taken" running from me, I'd let him keep it.

I started a c25k-esque program the next day and have been running since. It is the first time since the assault that I have "taken" something back just because I wanted to-not because I "had" to. It was a huge turning point for me and completely changed my outlook on health and fitness, and has finally allowed me to take my life back. I no longer feel like I'm struggling to get out from under the assault, like it will control me forever. I am now in control of my life and how I live it and what's in it.

On a day to day basis though, running keeps me calm, controls my anxiety/PTSD, and allows me to eat enough food (including some crap) that I totally feel like I can maintain this lifestyle forever (and not become morbidly obese again).
    Good for you for surviving and taking back control of your life. You are an inspiration to everyone who has/is facing similar battles.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I buy new running shoes now when the old me would have bought a new video game. :P
  • emilypurplefrog
    emilypurplefrog Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I used to hate working out and once I started working out frequently, my whole attitude towards it changed. I love how I feel after working out and sweating my *kitten* off! It's very rewarding and refreshing!
  • Athena53
    Options
    <snip> It is the first time since the assault that I have "taken" something back just because I wanted to-not because I "had" to. It was a huge turning point for me and completely changed my outlook on health and fitness, and has finally allowed me to take my life back. I no longer feel like I'm struggling to get out from under the assault, like it will control me forever. I am now in control of my life and how I live it and what's in it.

Good for you- you turned yourself from a victim into a survivor. I had a verbally abusive husband (nowhere in the league of what you endured, I know) and even now, 16 years after the divorce and 2 years after his death, he occasionally shows up in a nightmare when I'm under stress, but I've just accepted that he'll always be in a corner of my brain and I need to make sure it's as small as possible.

And exercise really does help to deal with stress and anxiety!
  • soni_me
    soni_me Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm loving the NSV's lately! I can feel muscle definition in my arms that has NEVER been there. My energy is through the roof. I just love the way fitness and exercise makes me feel, so that even when I have a busy day....I have to fit in 15-20 min., because I need to keep going in the right direction and don't want to get in the habit of not working out ever again.
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Women will now talk to me where before they'd just run away in fear if I was nearby.
  • XDiet_SlayerX
    Options
    Amazing stories everyone. You are an inspiration to many. I know you are to me.