Options
mady2806
mady2806 Posts: 23 Member
Anyone heard of this craze? Can someone please explain it to me. :smile:

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Hardly a craze. Google Tosca Reno. She talks about eating natural unprocessed healthy food.
  • Granny2b
    Granny2b Posts: 91
    Options
    Im gonny goggle that to see what it all about
  • exercisediva
    exercisediva Posts: 127
    Options
    Tosca Reno also appears in a monthly column in Oxygen Magazine. She has several books out regarding eating clean. The first was the "eat clean diet" book. Very good reading on how you should eat real, organic, healthly food. Her website www.toscareno.com will explain it all. You can also go to www.eatcleandiet.com to do alittle research on her books as well.

She looks amazing and is 50ish years old. Check it out! I emailed her once and she told me she doesnt believe in counting calories as long as your eating clean, you will be healthy. She lost alot of weight too.
  • jawolfe
    jawolfe Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Not a craze at all...check out eatcleandiet.com. And I highly recommend her book The Eat Clean Diet Recharged. It's about eating real food, not processed foods, avoiding sugars, eating reasonable portions, eating more frequently to keep your metabolism up, drinking enough water, etc. The web site is a great resource. Another resource is billandchelle.com/fitness. This is the most practical website I've found on how to prepare your food so that you are always prepared to eat clean. There's also a link to her Journal to see "what's in her cooler" every day. I find it very helpful! Best of luck to you!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I echo the other people to say that I don't know that it is a craze as much as it is an awakening to the idea that maybe we should actually eat FOOD instead of processed food-like substances. Tosca Reno is often associated with the terms "eating clean" but it has also been a concept in the bodybuilding world and elsewhere.

I would highly recommend Michael Pollan's books The Omnivore's Dilemma, In Defense of Food and Food Rules (in descending order of length and academic rigor). His famous advice for how to eat is "Eat food, mostly plants, not too much". With the "eat food" part he is getting at eating real, unprocessed foods instead of food that has been stripped of a lot of its nutritional content and processed and packaged beyond recognition.
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    I've tried the Eat-Clean Diet at the suggestion of my doctor and let me tell you it is HARD to get used to, especially if you're one of those people who is on the go a LOT and who has never cooked in their life (I really, REALLY hate cooking).

I managed to follow the Eat-Clean Diet one week only. :\ I felt pretty crappy at the end of that week and honestly was just too tired to continue bothering with it. Maybe one day when my life isn't so crazy I'll be willing to invest more time into this but right now if I can't grab it and go I'm not interested in eating it. :)

I will say that Tocsa Reno is fantastic. I had to write in to her website to ask a few questions about nutritional replacement (there are several foods I just can't eat so I was wondering what I could use as substitutes) and her response was prompt and helpful unlike any dietician I've spoken to in my life : "As long as you're getting the four food groups you're doing fine." *rolls eyes* Whatever.

The basic principle of the Eat-Clean Diet can be summed up as follows:

"If it doesn't remember where it came from - don't eat it."
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly, Michael Pollan is the one who just did the documentary Food, Inc. that won an award, and was just played on the POV program on PBS. It is available on DVD, and I am told, Netflix.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly, Michael Pollan is the one who just did the documentary Food, Inc. that won an award, and was just played on the POV program on PBS. It is available on DVD, and I am told, Netflix.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I've tried the Eat-Clean Diet at the suggestion of my doctor and let me tell you it is HARD to get used to, especially if you're one of those people who is on the go a LOT and who has never cooked in their life (I really, REALLY hate cooking).

I managed to follow the Eat-Clean Diet one week only. :\ I felt pretty crappy at the end of that week and honestly was just too tired to continue bothering with it. Maybe one day when my life isn't so crazy I'll be willing to invest more time into this but right now if I can't grab it and go I'm not interested in eating it. :)

It can sometimes involve more cooking, but you definitely can still incorporate the principles of clean eating even if you aren't cooking everything from scratch. I can't see your diary, so I don't really know what you eat, but one example might be if you normally eat yogurt as a snack (an easy grab and go snack), instead of buying something that has added sugars and has been heated in processing (thus destroying the probiotic benefits of the yogurt), buy plain yogurt with live cultures and a very short list of ingredients and add some berries, sliced bananas, strawberries, etc to it and some honey. Or, if you like peanut butter swap out the Jiff or whatever for natural peanut butter where the only ingredients are peanuts (and maybe salt). If it isn't sweet, add a bit of honey or something, but that way you are controlling what is added, and not the manufacturer. Almonds as a snack instead of a 100-calorie snack pack is another example.

My point being, it doesn't have to be "cook everything from scratch" or nothing at all.
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    It can sometimes involve more cooking, but you definitely can still incorporate the principles of clean eating even if you aren't cooking everything from scratch. I can't see your diary, so I don't really know what you eat, but one example might be if you normally eat yogurt as a snack (an easy grab and go snack), instead of buying something that has added sugars and has been heated in processing (thus destroying the probiotic benefits of the yogurt), buy plain yogurt with live cultures and a very short list of ingredients and add some berries, sliced bananas, strawberries, etc to it and some honey. Or, if you like peanut butter swap out the Jiff or whatever for natural peanut butter where the only ingredients are peanuts (and maybe salt). If it isn't sweet, add a bit of honey or something, but that way you are controlling what is added, and not the manufacturer. Almonds as a snack instead of a 100-calorie snack pack is another example.

My point being, it doesn't have to be "cook everything from scratch" or nothing at all.

I'm allergic to nuts. :)

But other then that thanks for the suggestions. It's still not for me at this point in my life.