Frustrated Lurker

Options
I've been reading the forums for about a month now, and my frustration has caused me to "de-lurk" and I'm hoping I can get some people to view my diary and give some insight! And of course I love to add some friends!

A little bit about me:
(Just turned) 38 yr old mother of 3. Have been overweight since I had kids, but can't exactly make them the scapegoats anymore since my youngest is 11!!

My ticker will say 18 lbs lost, but most of that is since last March when I first started taking karate with my kids and then slacked off during the summer months. I restarted full force this month after receiving a Polar T40 for Christmas! Because I now know how many calories I'm burning at karate class I felt I could more easily lose weight, especially if I'm tracking my food intake as well. WRONG! I've lost about 4 pounds since 12/29 and it really seems like it should be more because I'm trying hard!

I've been going to karate at least 3 times a week, and for a couple weeks I went to 6 classes a week. In general I burn at least 600 calories per hour in class. I've figured out my BMR is 1591, and my "Daily Calorie Needs" according to the Harris Benedict Equation is 1909. That's based on a "sedentary" lifestyle because that's what I was before starting to exercise. And after I'm done exercising, I'm pretty lazy at home.

I'm wondering if I'm not eating enough? Scared to eat 1900 calories in a day, whether I exercise that day or not. MFP has me at 1300 calories and I generally do try to eat back my exercise calories.

Love fruit, but mainly all the more sugary ones (bananas, oranges, apples, pears, melon, etc). I tried to eat blackberries yesterday and they were WAY too sour.

My frustration is causing me to have less will power!!

Anyway, please take a peek at my diary and exercise log and let me know if you have any suggestions! I'm excited to become an active member here!

Jenna

Replies

• tammyp1
    tammyp1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I would greatly increase your protein and reduce your carbs. Maybe eat a more of a ratio of 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% fat. I would try to eat more satisfying, nutrient rich meals spread out throughout the day. Also, I would cut out the ice cream and cakes. Feel free to add me as a friend and look in my diary. Exercise looks great. Good luck and keep it going.
  • ninth_ant
    ninth_ant Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm not being judgmental here, just looking at your diary as you requested and sharing some thoughts.

It seems like you skip breakfast pretty frequently. Maybe this works for you, but when I do this I am miserable and hungry the rest of the day. I try to eat high-protein starters like eggs (or egg whites) and/or meat with lots of veggies, which keeps me feeling full through the day.

I see a lot of complex foods (restaurant items, processed foods and sweet snacks) in your diary. Some of this is really hard to avoid, obviously. But it's very easy to miscalculate restaurant items (I don't trust them much even when they post calorie outputs). Also, sweet snacks tend to add up a lot of calories quickly, and at least for me don't do much for making me actually feel full or satisfied. You could eat a nice bowl of soup and a side salad for the same calorie count as a bowl of ice cream, and then I wouldn't feel hungry that night.

Anyhow, just a few hopefully constructive suggestions. I'm *far* from perfect myself, definitely not judging.
  • jltotaro
    Options
    To be fair, ice cream and cake are not the norm, it was my birthday on Wednesday and my hubby got me a delicious cake! :) thankfully it was small and disappeared very quickly.

You're right about breakfast. I'm usually in a hurry in the morning and food isn't top priority. I will try to work on that.

Maybe look at two/three weeks ago?? This past week was definitely out of the norm. At least my "new" normal. lol

Also, I despise most veggies. The ones I do like are carrots and celery (raw) and green beans & broccoli sometimes. I'm very picky and definitely tend to lean toward fruit. I will eat salads occasionally.
  • pattie521
    Options
    Yeah I agree with the above poster. Your calories per meal are all over the place. It's not about getting your calories in, it's really about quality. You really need to eat breakfast and keep your meals no where over 600-700 calories, which I know I have done it a few times. Once in awhile are ok, but if your really looking to lose weight you need to spread your food out. Meals should be 300-400 for a female. Feel free if you want to add me, my diary isn't always upto date and may miss a meal here or there, but you may get some ideas. My family goes out to eat a lot, but I've learned to go for healthier options or if I splurge I only eat half of the meal.

Also noticed a lot of sugar in there, change your setting so you can see your daily sugar intake. I think if you try and cut down on sugary things it may help.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    If your daily needs are 1900, then you wouldn't want to eat 1900 to lose. A deficit of 500 would put you at one lb a week, so 1400 a day plus eating back your exercise calories would be what the math says. Still one pound a week is not a bad pace, it seems like you're in the ballpark as far as calories go. If you're feeling hungry or deprived then you can experiment to find what satisfies you and keeps you feeling full.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You're losing a bit more than a pound a week. AWESOME! I'm jealous!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is excellent! I'm focusing on 1/2 lb a week.. it is what it is.. I'm flexible with my diary and not perfect so I'm thrilled with 1/2 lb a week. You should be very happy with your weightloss. It comes down to calories and quality of the calories. You could work out 7 days a week, but if you don't stick to the calorie number and quality then it usually won't result in a weightloss. You're doing well! Good Luck!
  • lisawmi
    lisawmi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Your diary reflects what I would expect to be a weight loss rate of about a pound per week- that is cause for celebration! If you want to lose faster you will have to eat less but why rush it? Slow safe weight loss is best. How much muscle have you put on? That I also probably playing into the equation.
  • linnaeus
    linnaeus Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi folks (and Jenna),
    you can easily see a long report and also the sugar intake by going to the bottom of her food diary page and clicking on view full report(printable). Adjust the date. Many of the days are well over 70g of sugar, some over 100. The recommended daily limit for women is 24g - and does not pertain to naturally occurring sugars like that in fruits.

Thanks for reaching out Jenna, best of luck. I think 1 pound/week is fantastic, and it's great that you're getting so much exercise as well. I would consider trying to sneak in vegetables a little at a time until you can start to appreciate them on their own (they really are very healthy and you can eat a mountainous salad with little calories and great nutritional benefit). Zucchini muffins, extra veggies in spaghetti sauce, spinach smoothies, add zucchini and mushrooms to your scrambled eggs, etc.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I would greatly increase your protein and reduce your carbs. Maybe eat a more of a ratio of 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% fat. I would try to eat more satisfying, nutrient rich meals spread out throughout the day. Also, I would cut out the ice cream and cakes. Feel free to add me as a friend and look in my diary. Exercise looks great. Good luck and keep it going.

Tammy, when the 40/30/30 macros are recommended, that means 40% Carbs.

40% protein is awfully high, and would not be recommended for a woman who isn't doing serious weight lifting. She doesn't need nearly that much protein.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Although someone else has pointed this out. Let me be even more clear.

Breakfast
    Breakfast
    Breakfast

Second point is almost as important though it sounds like you're aware of it: consistency. I know when my son was younger and we were doing Tae Kwon Do together (at least 3 times per week), that consistency helped tone up and drop what little bit of additional weight I had at the time.

Most of my weight loss came about simply because I gave myself the time (and protected it, no excuses) to walk consistently. Not all at once in a day, but spread out through the day so that I could walk with some intentionality on reaching a daily goal (that I gradually increased over time).

About the most radical thing I did with my food intake was wean myself off sugary drinks. Bye, bye Dr. Pepper. My iced tea was a half & half combination of sweetened and unsweetened to drop the overall sugar content. Oh, I did drop the size of my evening ice cream intake and went from the "big bowl" to a dessert bowl. BUT, I didn't give it up. I did eventually lose my taste for eating it each night. I will occasionally have a dessert when I'm eating out.

That brings me to the third point. If you had a consistent demand for 1600 calories (includes a deficit of 500 calories per day for 1 pound per week loss AND the fueling of your need for additional fuel for physical activity) you should consider a starting point of 400 calories at breakfast, 200 as a mid-morning snack, 400 for lunch, 200 for afternoon snack and then 400 for dinner. You could lower dinner a little to increase lunch and breakfast. But the thing I found to most important was eating breakfast...a real breakfast, not just a piece of toast or some breakfast bar. Yes, I have to make the time and effort for it, but I have discovered that it very important...otherwise the effects of gnawing one's arm off because you are starving is not a good one.

You can adjust accordingly. As long as there is some consistent deficit that doesn't trigger a starvation effect (and all the hormones that trigger some other very difficult to overcome effects) you can get there.

Just a few things for your consideration.

I will send you a friend request.
  • tammyp1
    tammyp1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Tammy, when the 40/30/30 macros are recommended, that means 40% Carbs.

40% protein is awfully high, and would not be recommended for a woman who isn't doing serious weight lifting. She doesn't need nearly that much protein.
    I have always listed my macros like that since that's how it is listed in the P90x manual with protein first,carbs, then fat. P90x (I''m on my second round) recommended macros are 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fat for the Fat Shredder Phase. Next phase,Energy Booster, is 40% protein, 40% carb and 20% fat. I was suggesting something similar to those numbers that have worked for me.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Your calories per meal are all over the place. It's not about getting your calories in, it's really about quality. You really need to eat breakfast and keep your meals no where over 600-700 calories, which I know I have done it a few times. Once in awhile are ok, but if your really looking to lose weight you need to spread your food out. Meals should be 300-400 for a female.
    Why? Where have you got these rules from? I skip breakfast more often than I eat it, and usually have an evening meal that is more than 600 calories. I haven't had any problems losing weight.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You're losing a bit more than a pound a week. AWESOME! I'm jealous!
    ^This. That is a perfectly reasonable rate of loss. It takes time; maybe you need to adjust your expectations? If anything, I would eat a little more and try to eat above your BMR, especially over the long term.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I'd like to second JesterMFP. I don't usually eat until after my first job - at which point I've been awake roughly 6 hours. And I'm on track for 2 pounds a week lost. I like to save most of my calories for dinner. 1000 calories at a block? YEAH! Let me feel like I'm EATING something.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    1lb per week weight loss - you're doing fine.

And I agree with Jester - eat when you want, when it works for you. Also, eat above your BMR. It will definitely benefit you in the long run.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    1lb per week weight loss - you're doing fine.

And I agree with Jester - eat when you want, when it works for you. Also, eat above your BMR. It will definitely benefit you in the long run.

Agreed!

You do NOT have to eat breakfast if you don't want it, it's not going to make any difference. And you certainly don't have to stick to 300-400cal meals, I have no idea what that's all about?!
  • Investorhyde1
    Options
    Agreed with the past few posters about eating when you want. I switched to intermittent fasting last year (from eat every 2-3 hours) to lose my 2nd 20 lbs. Yes, that does work for some, and it worked for me for a while but i got tired of feeling like a slave to food and watching the clock all day. I eat between noon and 8pm and love it, so much more energy throughout the day and have no issues in the morning. Not to mention my body is using fat as fuel from morning until that first meal. Do what works for you and YOUR body!

And also as people have said, one pound a week is EXCELLENT! Dont get discouraged :)
  • shlobiwan
    shlobiwan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    How do you gauge your cal expenditure for karate? Are you wearing an HRM or other calorie output device? MFP settings are set way too high, as if you were doing nothing but kumite. I find that working katas and basics are more akin to strength training. On average, I output about 200 cal per class. Sometimes higher for a more intense class, sometime lower when there aren't as many push-ups and sit-ups thrown out there.