Need Advice on Body Fat Measuring

Options
I have been stuck at the same weight for months, but I have been measuring so I have lost some inches. Now I have joined a gym and will be amping up my strength training routine in a major way just to change things up.

That said, since the scale is not moving (which doesn't necessarily bother me), I would like another way to measure my fitness level. so I would like to have my body fat measured and would like some advice.

- If I remember correctly, there are a few ways to have your body fat measured. What, in your opinion, is the best way and why?
- Who should I have measure it for best results, i.e. a certified trainer, certified nutritionist, physician, etc.?
- After my initial "baseline" measurement, how many months should I wait to remeasure/should I expect to see results if I am consistent with my program--3 months? 6 months?

Thank you in advance for your advice/opinions! Any other suggestions for gauging my fitness, without being too technical :), are also welcome.

Replies

• tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I would get it done professionally, I went to Max Muscle here in Lincoln, NE, but the YMCA and other gyms would do it for you as well, It cost me $10, so not expensive and more accurate then measurements alone. It is best to use calipers, I got 'pincehed' in at least 8 different areas and at least 20 times, it does not hurt. Call around. You will have a baseline and maybe some free advice, I asked questions while getting measured. Took 2 days to get the results back. Good Luck
  • juliee274
    juliee274 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I appreciate the advice... we have a YMCA locally so I will try there.
  • susannahcooks
    susannahcooks Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    the most reliable is the submersion methods - they are expensive (think 100 dollars or more a pop) if you can even find some place convenient to do it

the easiest is probably ask at the gym if they can do caliper assessments.. They measure multiple places (back of your arm, your back above your waist, your thigh above your knee) and have some sort of formula that tells them your body fat %.

My first round with the trainer I lost 9% body fat in 3 months, the second round only 3%.
  • susannahcooks
    susannahcooks Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    the other thing ' from a fitness perspective - how long can you hold a plank, how long can you hold a wallsit, how many situps/pushups, if you have an HRM, how long does it take for your heart rate to drop to normal after 3 minutes sustained at some specific heart rate.. these are all things my trainer assesses every 3 months along with body fat.