New goal help.

Options
I got a treadmill 2 weeks ago and started walking. This week I set a goal of 6 miles and 100 minutes of walking. I made both goals. I walked 6 miles and 128 mins.

Today I went and picked up a exercise bike. So I want to set some new goals, but Im unsure on what I should set for a goal. I want to stick right around 5 days of exercising right now. Just starting out I don't want to over do it and hurt myself.

I have already lost 10lbs in my first two weeks of walking on the treadmill so I know that works. All tho it does make my shins hurt.

Is a goal of 3 miles on the treadmill and 40 miles on the bike to high of a goal just starting out on the bike?

Any input would be great. Thanks.

I am also hoping to add an elliptical into my basement gym as soon as I can afford one.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Forty miles on the bike is quite high. Why don't you set a time goal instead of a distance goal? As you get used to it, add in more miles (which will force you to push harder). Any exercise plan should be started at a lower pace and increasingly become harder/more strenuous.

There is no magic "mile" number. And you can over-do it. Shoot for an hour to an hour and a half of moderate-to-strrenuous exercise 5-6 days a week. You need a rest day.
  • jriehl08
    jriehl08 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    So say like 2 hrs on the bike and 3 miles on the treadmill and see how I do? My 6 miles on the mill was done in 5 days this week.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    For you shins...make sure you are wearing a good shoe, with good cushioning and a nice arch support. And try not to 'slap' your feet down, set your heel down gently and let your foot roll forward. Also, concentrate on pushing the leg that on the ground, back behind you...not reaching the next leg out in front of you. Leaning slightly forward will help that happen, as will thinking about squeezing your butt muscle as you get to the end of each step. Slowing down your pace helps too, and lets you concentrate on form while you're figuring it out.

If the shin pain gets intense, stop walking! Ice your shins and rest, and massage the area firmly. And when you aren't walking to some ankle rotation type things. Even just sitting around watcing TV, you can do that!

Shin splints are awful! I get them when I take walks with my very tall husband and try to keep up with his pace.
  • particleastro
    particleastro Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hey Buddy, nice start.

Get some mobility work done on your ankles, hips and knees. Also learn a little about walking mechanics and how to rebuild strength in your feet. Go check out MobilityWOD for details.

Good luck,
    JU
  • jriehl08
    Options
    Thanks for all the information and advice. I know Im just starting out and everything takes time and this is a new learning experience for me. As its really easy to sit on the couch and watch TV. Its hard to go from nothing to exercising and doing the right things for my body in a short time.
  • particleastro
    particleastro Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Even if your the slowest on the track, you're still lapping the guys on the couch.
  • gottalose55
    gottalose55 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    add a few intervals of incline if you can, just a few minutes at a time, in between walking level
  • jriehl08
    Options
    my treadmills power incline was broke when I got it. Got it used. So I believe all my walking is an incline. I know the treadmill is not flat
  • jriehl08
    Options
    little update. I have biked 39.5 miles this month already and that was starting on the 9th when I joined a cycling group on MFP I have backed off a bit on the walking since I don't seem to get my heart rate up as much on the treadmill as I do on the bike. My goal for the month was only 40 miles but I'll keep going and up my next months goal when the new month starts based on how I do this month.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Even if your the slowest on the track, you're still lapping the guys on the couch.

This^

Does the speed still work? Try increasing speed to get your heart rate going on the treadmill.. I start with a 5-10 minute walk/warm up at about 2.5-3, run for 45 sec to a min at 7.0 then lower the speed to 2.0 for a minute then back to 7.0 for 45 secs to a min, and repeat for about 20 minutes. Definitely gets me sweating buckets..

Not sure what your situation is, I know some folks have knee problems for example, just increase where you can. Hope that helps and keep up the great work!