Calorie Help?

Options
I have been counting calories for a month or two now, and according to the scale i have not lost a single pound? I'm so confused. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• looopyloops
    looopyloops Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It could be a few different things, how much weight are you trying to lose, losing 10lbs is very different from losing 100lbs in the strategys that work, how many calories are you eating a day? Are you doing any exercise , and if so do you eat all the exercise calories,
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What do you have your calories set to and how much do you weigh? Have you started exercising in this time?
  • pappefam
    Options
    I'm with you. I've been doing myfitnesspal for 3 weeks and have lost 1 pound which could be water. I am totally unsure of what to do. I'm currently only 1200 calories and don't know if I need to increase or decrease. :(
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    It's very likely that you're not logging every little thing accurately. Unless you're being meticulous about weighing foods, using measuring cups, and tracking every single morsel of food that crosses your lips, you're likely eating more than you think.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    You don't lose weight by counting calories, but by eating at a deficit. Counting helps you to know whether and when you're at a deficit. There are many good posts here to guide you in setting your goals, or you can use the MyFitnessPal goals.
    See http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/how-to-use-myfitnesspal-427993 for a collection of starting advice and pointers to some good postings.

If you want guidance on the message boards, you'll need to share more information. What's your TDEE and BMR? What is your target for daily calorie consumption? And does that target include your exercise calories or not? Amount you are trying to lose? How fast you are trying to lose?

Are you measuring accurately? Weighing food? Have you measured inches on your body as well as weight? Are you within 50 calories either direction from your target each day? And if not, how often and how much are you off target?

Edited to correct grammar and punctuation.
  • meribethd
    meribethd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I've been doing myfitnesspal for 3 weeks and have lost 1 pound which could be water. I am totally unsure of what to do. I'm currently only 1200 calories and don't know if I need to increase or decrease. :(

Do not eat fewer than 1200 calories. What kind of foods are you eating?

OP--you need to give more info. How much weight are you trying to lose? How many calories are you eating? Are you exercising?
  • Lexieann9
    Options
    Hey guys! Sorry for not giving info. I weigh 155 I'm about 25/30 pounds away from a healthy weight so that's how much I'm trying to lose. I currently am eating 1200 calories a day. And I do excersize about every other day, but I don't really log those
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hey guys! Sorry for not giving info. I weigh 155 I'm about 25/30 pounds away from a healthy weight so that's how much I'm trying to lose. I currently am eating 1200 calories a day. And I do excersize about every other day, but I don't really log those

Did you recently start exercising?
  • Lexieann9
    Options
    Yeah towards the beginning of this month. P.S. sorry if I sound completely clueless about all this haha
  • particleastro
    particleastro Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Who told you your weight is not healthy?

Im 6ft and 250lbs. I have a BMI of 36 (morbidly obese). I can squat 500lbs and run 100m in 12 seconds.

Who cares what the scales say.
  • SeahorseDolphin
    Options

I know it's long but please read through this. I think you may be eating far too few calories and that is why the weight won't come off.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Lexieann9
    Options
    Oh and the reason I don't log the excersizing is because a friend of mine told me that if I log it, and it gives me more calories to eat, then burning those calories before was pointless?
  • Lexieann9
    Options
    There was a BMI test in a diet book that another one of my friend's house and according to it I was not at a healthy weight.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Yeah towards the beginning of this month. P.S. sorry if I sound completely clueless about all this haha

You will be retaining water due to the exercise. You can store quite a few pounds of gylcogen/water in your muscles through exercise which can mask 'real' weight loss.

Make sure you have yourself at the right settings however. You should only be set to 1lb a week with the amount you have to lose.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I have been counting calories for a month or two now, and according to the scale i have not lost a single pound? I'm so confused. What am I doing wrong?

If you don't know if it has been one month or two months since you have been counting calories, it is likely that you also aren't keeping very good track of other things related to your eating plan.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Oh and the reason I don't log the excersizing is because a friend of mine told me that if I log it, and it gives me more calories to eat, then burning those calories before was pointless?

This is not really accurate.

If you read this, it may help explain it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • Lexieann9
    Options
    Oh my god! Thank you!! and I will definitely change it to one :)
  • shortfox971
    shortfox971 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    you also need to do at least 30 minutes of cardio 5 times a week try that and see if it helps. I am on week 3 lost 8 pounds and 2% bodyfat. I have only missed 1 day of exercise in 2 weeks.
  • Lexieann9
    Options
    That makes a LOT more sense now
  • Lexieann9
    Options
    Will do! :)