Running & Weight Gain

ykantoro
ykantoro Posts: 24
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I've started running / jogging (not training) for the past 3 months. I've been doing about 3 miles every other day at about a 9 min mile. I was on track for weight loss (17 lbs down) up until I started running. At first I gained 2 lbs, then I was back to normal, and then I plateaued and my weight has been fluctuating 2-5 lbs since. I can't seem to shake off the lbs. HELP! :sad:

I guess I just want to know if this is normal, and if this happens to anyone one else. I do strength training regularly (at least 4 times a week) and added in running as an extra cardio to help burn calories and lbs, but it's done the opposite. My food intake hasn't changed all that dramatically. :huh: The only thing I can think that has changed is adding carb intake (wheat pasta & rice) the night before my 3 mile runs, whereas before I cut out carbs after 6 pm.

Thanks for the help / advice in advance! :happy:

Replies

• tvgal
    tvgal Posts: 87
    ugh. i'd like to know this as well. I trained for a full marathon last fall hoping it would help me drop the last few lbs and no dice! i'm still stuck. However, i have noticed that my leg muscles are really defined. :)
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    are you still logging everything you eat and staying under your calories everyday? I recently trained for a half and I did not gain unless I went over my cals.
  • Serpent
    Serpent Posts: 1
    I think you answered your own question. No need to "carbo load" for a 3 mile run. I bet if you go back to your plan of no carbs after 6pm and keep the running up the weight will melt away. Good luck!
  • ykantoro
    are you still logging everything you eat and staying under your calories everyday? I recently trained for a half and I did not gain unless I went over my cals.

yes. still logging and still staying under, which I don't find very hard at all, hence the frustration. :grumble:
  • I think you should cut out those carbs before bed. I bet you'll see your weight drop.:wink:
  • ykantoro
    I think you answered your own question. No need to "carbo load" for a 3 mile run. I bet if you go back to your plan of no carbs after 6pm and keep the running up the weight will melt away. Good luck!

I did think about that. But I'm not so much "loading" as much as just trying to get some carbs in. I found it very difficult (being a beginner) running the next day with out the carbs the night before. Maybe pasta is too much, maybe I need fruit or potatoes? :huh: I know nothing. :frown:
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? Maybe you need more protein. I don't think you need to carbload for a 3 mile run like you would for a marathon. I run 5 miles 2 times a week and 3 miles for my 3rd run (or do spin class). I eat a healthy dinner... before my run I drink a protein shake and a half of a banana. When I return I eat a greek yogurt, and egg white omlette, protein oatmeal pancakes or another protein shake along with the other half of the banana.

When I trained for the marathon I didn't lose a lb. I was stuck for 2 months.... but I lost a ton of inches. After the marathon I took 2 weeks off from running and I lost 4 lbs. Now I run 10+ miles a week... weight train and have lost 10 lbs in 3 months. (It was my last 10, so it took a bit longer to come off).

You'll lose the weight. You don't need to give up running, maybe just tweak your diet... add more protein, eat only a half serving of pasta/rice, etc... you'll figure it out. I love how running has gotten my body into shape.... even when the pounds weren't dropping.
  • johnnichol
    johnnichol Posts: 1
    Got to agree with Serpent, you don't need to Carbo load unless you are running marathons.

I lost 70 pounds 3 years ago and then took up running to help maintain weight loss. I run all sorts of distance from 6 miles up to marathons.

I would suggest going back to your normal pre-running eating routine and then also do the running anyhow. You should need any special preparation for the distance you are running. I find running on an empty stomach works best, but its personal choice. If I do eat before I run I try and make it at least a couple of hours before hand.

Another thing to look at is either upping the distance or intensity of the running.

I am back on the weight loss trail as I have recently (Jan) changed jobs and also had a few injuries, so not putting in as much mileage or intensity of running I would like. So have put on around 12 pounds which I want to lose again. With the running I do when fit and not stressed I am able to maintain a healthy weight without having to count calories.

Good luck.
  • ykantoro
    Will definitely need the luck! :laugh: Thanks for all the answers!
  • bloock
    bloock Posts: 1
    Everyone else is right on... drop the carbs after about 6pm-ish. Unless you are running a half- or a full marathon, there really is no REAL reason to carb load. I try to lay off my carbs after about 2 or 3 pm and load up on protein at dinner and after my eveining workout and I have begun to drop the weight really quickly.
    I generally run 3-4 miles a day 3 days in a row, rest for one day, then run 3 days in a row and rest a day. I try to keep this rotation as close as possible, but sometimes I rest for 2 days or only run for 2 days... this keeps my endurance up and I find my strength training in the evening isn't affected.
    Good luck and keep working... but if I were you I'd drop the carb loading... it's not doing you any good on such short runs.
This discussion has been closed.